Puddicombe House
Delta Hotels Waterloo(Waterloo)
$179
  • Pool
$129
Forest Motel & Woodland Retreat(Stratford)(Great Value!)
$116
$97
$106
$103
Travelocity
All reviewsb bmenu choicesquaint hoteldesperate needjackson roomlong weekendwould definitely stay here againa great staygreat roomfresh fruitone night staybed was very comfortablewrap around porchrestored victorianhamburgstratfordspa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Geoff and I stayed at the Puddicombe House on Friday night, February 1, 2013. It was a very pleasant experience from arrival to departure.
The owners, Karen and Lyle Cressman, were the perfect hostess and host and they made us feel at home.
Alison greeted us on arrival and Crystal was our waitress. They were very courteous.
We enjoyed our dinner on Friday night. The appetizer (meat and cheese board for two), main courses (chicken supreme and fish special) and dessert (cheesecake) were delicious. Geoff also enjoyed the beer :)
The breakfast on Saturday morning was a bit different but quite nice.
The Cressmans have done a wonderful job of renovating this 1868 house and making it into a lovely B and B place. We will recommend it for its appearance and the service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maureen W
Reviewed February 1, 2013

As someone who travels often for business and typically stays at moderate+ hotels like Hampton Inn (and higher when fortunate) and who is a bit worn-out with the daily oatmeal for breakfast, the Puddicombe House and service by Lyle, Karen and staff was a great reliever, and mini-getaway even though I was in the area on business.

First, the owners were quite helpful and accommodating with my very late arrival. From the outside the Puddicombe House looks like a historical home. When I entered, the house presented a well kept property with many of its vintage appointments. It was a bit fun to look around and see what appeared to be a lot of the original home details.

I stayed in the Schippling room: a decent size room, with a king size bed, closet, sitting chair, gas fireplace, floor to ceiling window (with curtain :) ) and a VERY nice bathroom. Visually, the room looked perfectly restored to its original intent, but a longer look made me aware of a good sized flat panel TV, what looked to be heated tile floors in the bathroom, new-looking wall mounted air conditioner and a full jacuzzi bath / shower -- yes, with showerhead. The wifi access in my room was quite good for catching up on email after my customer visit, and wifi was available throughout the house.

Both mornings of my stay, I started the day with excellent breakfasts, so if you stay here, be sure to wake up hungry! My customer and colleagues also scheduled a dinner at the house during my stay. The dinner was also the same excellent quality meal and service as experienced with the lodging. I would consider the dinner not quite super fine dining, which is a plus for me. The quality of food, preparation and creativity of the dishes was excellent and wide ranging. It was burger night, and one of my dinner-mates described it as the best burger they've had. The table started with a sea scallop + bacon starter, which looked and was described as very good (I did not try it). My dinner was a quarter chicken on a ragout, my memory does not recall the ragout ingredients. My memory DOES recall the dish to be very tasty.

Hopefully I will be in the area again, and if so, I will definitely bring my wife to experience this very nice B&B and also the spa housed in the basement. It looked like a great place for a special weekend with your favorite person.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay at the Puddicombe whenever I travel to the area for business and have had other business people stay here as well. It is one of my favorite places to stay in the world! It is always nice to go someplace and have the owners and the staff remember you and they do it well. Rooms are very nice (I think I've stayed in every single one!) and while a desk would be nice in the rooms, one dining room is always open with tables and chairs to work from. I've never (and this is based on probably 50 meals here) had a bad meal. K always does breakfast and I feel bad when I'm only one here but all I can say is she is there with a smile! The meals are tasty with that homemade taste that is so lacking in so many places. I keep hoping to bring my wife up some day so she can experience the Puddicombe! Thanks K, L and N! You go beyond what is normal!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have visited Puddicombe House since it opened at least once a month for either dinner or lunch. We have also booked a surprise Birthday party here and have attended New Years dinners (last 3 years) and attended the Murder Mystery night and through out all of these visits we have never been disappointed. The food is amazing...always. Never had anything I haven't liked. The staff is always first class as well. My only complaint would be that sometimes the food is a little slow getting to the table but when it does, it is worth the wait.
The Spa downstairs is a wonderful addition. All 4 in our family get hair cuts on a regular basis. We have all experienced the hot stone massages as well as my wife and daughter getting facials, pedicures and manicures. Always great gifts for birthdays, anniversaries or Christmas.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bud583
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This lovely building has no ramp for disabled persons. It has a porch with at least five steps. When we made reservations for our celebratory dinner (four birthdays including the birthday of my mum turinng 92) we asked if there was provision for the disabled. They said no, but that they would have two strong men on hand to lift my mum in her wheelchair up the stairs.
They were true to their word. Had obviously been watching for us. Mum seemed to get a kick out of the whole procedure.
The meal struck me as a bit odd. Five of the six of us ordered the steak special. To my eye the plate was mostly meat, with a couple of mini potatoes hidden underneath, delicate beet greens across the steak, and a structure made of slices of yellow beets and jalapeno paste (very hot). I ended up envying my mum her meal of baked trout which came with an abundance of veggies.
I did not have dessert myself, but the creme brule and cheesecake were greatly enjoyed by four of the guests.
Our wait staff were very pleasant and accommodating.
There was some very nice live music playing in the front yard from 7 on. Quite singable.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight. We went only for dinner.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family