“Regular Visitor”

Ranked #1 of 1 New Hamburg B&B and Inns
Ithaca, New York, United States
“Regular Visitor”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay at the Puddicombe whenever I travel to the area for business and have had other business people stay here as well. It is one of my favorite places to stay in the world! It is always nice to go someplace and have the owners and the staff remember you and they do it well. Rooms are very nice (I think I've stayed in every single one!) and while a desk would be nice in the rooms, one dining room is always open with tables and chairs to work from. I've never (and this is based on probably 50 meals here) had a bad meal. K always does breakfast and I feel bad when I'm only one here but all I can say is she is there with a smile! The meals are tasty with that homemade taste that is so lacking in so many places. I keep hoping to bring my wife up some day so she can experience the Puddicombe! Thanks K, L and N! You go beyond what is normal!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New Hamburg, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have visited Puddicombe House since it opened at least once a month for either dinner or lunch. We have also booked a surprise Birthday party here and have attended New Years dinners (last 3 years) and attended the Murder Mystery night and through out all of these visits we have never been disappointed. The food is amazing...always. Never had anything I haven't liked. The staff is always first class as well. My only complaint would be that sometimes the food is a little slow getting to the table but when it does, it is worth the wait.
The Spa downstairs is a wonderful addition. All 4 in our family get hair cuts on a regular basis. We have all experienced the hot stone massages as well as my wife and daughter getting facials, pedicures and manicures. Always great gifts for birthdays, anniversaries or Christmas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bud583
southern ON
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This lovely building has no ramp for disabled persons. It has a porch with at least five steps. When we made reservations for our celebratory dinner (four birthdays including the birthday of my mum turinng 92) we asked if there was provision for the disabled. They said no, but that they would have two strong men on hand to lift my mum in her wheelchair up the stairs.
They were true to their word. Had obviously been watching for us. Mum seemed to get a kick out of the whole procedure.
The meal struck me as a bit odd. Five of the six of us ordered the steak special. To my eye the plate was mostly meat, with a couple of mini potatoes hidden underneath, delicate beet greens across the steak, and a structure made of slices of yellow beets and jalapeno paste (very hot). I ended up envying my mum her meal of baked trout which came with an abundance of veggies.
I did not have dessert myself, but the creme brule and cheesecake were greatly enjoyed by four of the guests.
Our wait staff were very pleasant and accommodating.
There was some very nice live music playing in the front yard from 7 on. Quite singable.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight. We went only for dinner.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank curvyclassic
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I visited the Puddiecombe House after a show in Stratford. I was a little unsure about the B&B, as I wanted a private escape for the night. We were both surprised at the quality and attentive staff members at the Puddiecombe House. We stayed in the Puddiecombe room and was taken back by the quality of work that was put into the rooms and property. The details were noticeable and appreciated.
We had dinner outside on the porch and it was scrumptious! I ordered a drink (long island iced tea) and was surprised at how fresh it tasted. The bartender, Nick, asked if I was enjoying my drink (very attentive staff!) and he told us about the process in making the drinks - in other words he does not use a mix like other bartenders. After my husband tried my drink, he was jealous and ordered one too! Later in the evening we asked Nick to make us one of his special (independently created) drinks and I must say they are the best I've ever had. He infused fresh fruits and berries to create a taste that leaves a lasting impression.
The Owners, of the B&B create a welcoming atmosphere that makes you want to return again. If you are interested in a B&B that has a personal flair, private accommodations, excellent food and drinks, beautiful ambiance and a picturesque town, I highly recommend the Puddicome House - I know we'll be back.... soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is an odd and relatively unsatisfactory property with many flaws as a B&B:

Some facts: We were two couples, and our room was big enough to accommodate a comfortable king-sized bed, but there were only two small hard-backed chairs provided for sitting. The only comfortable place to sit is on the bed. That might have been OK if, as most B&B’s have, there was a sitting room of some sort on the ground floor, but there is not. The restaurant tables and chairs are accessible when the restaurant is closed but that is all. There is nowhere for four people to get together when the restaurant is open. There is no gathering place for people to visit with one another or, as in our case, if one member of a couple is an early riser and wishes to read. Although there is a coffee-maker in the hallway outside the rooms, it does not work and despite requests, never was fixed. The rooms have no shower. There is a Jacuzzi, and a long telephone-like handle on a hose, but no bracket to hold the handle to use as a shower, and no shower curtain, so using it as a shower is very difficult and sprays the whole bathroom. Wi-Fi does not reach all of the rooms. In one of our rooms the bathroom is open to the bedroom with no door, thus no privacy when using the toilet. Those are facts. Now, opinion: Breakfasts were very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank vpoleshuck
puddicombe, Owner at Puddicombe House, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Puddicombe House. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. Our goal is to constantly offer our guest an outstanding experience . Puddicombe House is a boutique historic inn and as such some of our rooms have unique features. In addition to our feature rooms we also have a number of more traditional inn rooms that feature a standard tub/shower. Please contact us and we will be happy to assist you with your room selection. We have now installed wireless boosters so now all of our guest rooms receive a strong free WiFi signal.
The Brandy Room as well as the Puddicombe Porch is available for guests to gather or read a book 24 hours a day.
The coffee maker has an energy saver that automatically turns itself off after a period of inactivity. Your comments indicate to us that we need to provide better instructions on the use of the coffee maker.
Thank you for your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and we hope you will stay with us again in the future while visiting the Stratford Festival.
Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Puddicombe House is my kind of place. I'm not a big fan of the B&B, feels too weird sleeping in a stranger's house and not as keen as some with the chit chat. Puddicombe House is more of an Inn than a B&B. It is very nicely decorated. It has 6 rooms, all on the second floor, a restaurant and spa. The owners are very nice people. They made us feel welcomed, but were not obtrusive as wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. That said, I heard them talking more with others, so if you like to chat, I'm sure you'll be happy.

The main room (Puddicombe) was already booked, so we took the Cressman room, which was very nice and SUPER clean. Wife, who is a hands and knees with a toothbrush kind of cleaner, noted that all the usual crannies of the bathroom that are typically dirty in hotels, were all clean. Bed and bedding was very comfortable. I normally don't sleep well the first night in a different bed, but slept very soundly here. There was also a good sized flat screen TV, remote-controlled air conditioner, iron/board and jet/jacuzzi tub

We enjoyed dinner at their restaurant one night. I had their Scallops to start and Chicken Supreme, which were both delicious, and wife had a fresh pasta dish that was so good and well-portioned that she admittedly over indulged by about 5 bites. Breakfasts were good too - frittata and waffles. Wife is vegetarian, which they easily accommodated. We didn't ask for much else - just an ice bucket for wine we brought along, and staff quickly got that for us.

Located just 20 mins from downtown Stratford in the town of West Hamburg, it was an easy drive to see our shows. We even came back between shows to change and refresh. There isn't much in West Hamburg itself, but it is a quaint town and we enjoyed walking around after dinner, seeing some nice architecture typical of the area in the late 1800s/early 1900s, esp the yellow brick which isn't common, and there's a park by the river. And there's also a large Ten Thousands Villages shop just east of town.

Overall, I would describe everything about Puddicombe House as being great - the owners, the other staff, the service, the food, the rooms - all great. If you are heading into the Stratford area, I would highly recommend you consider staying here. It's definitely close enough, and with the restaurant and spa on site, it's worthy of a detour all on its own.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Four of us arrived at Puddicombe after a matinee at the Stratford Festival. We were the first folks there (5:15) and received prompt, friendly service. It had been a couple of years since we've eaten dinner here, and we were impressed with the quality of both presentation and taste. I had a pasta dish with an unusual noodle I can't remember with shrimp, and my wife had the chicken supreme. Our friends had the chicken supreme and baked trout and liked it very much. We didn't have room for dessert, but our friends shared a cheesecake they also really liked. The owner dropped by at the end to be sure we were satisfied. We left about the time a live jazz group was starting to play for the folks eating on the patio.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waterloo - St Jacobs
Newburg Inn
Newburg Inn
#1 of 1 in New Hamburg

Been to Puddicombe House? Share your experiences!