“Ticks all the Boxes”

Ranked #17 of 20 Grassington B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Ticks all the Boxes”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed in Grassington overnight and had pre booked a table for 4 many weeks following the excellent reviews I had read and we were not disappointed from the warm welcome through to a cracking meal we all enjoyed , Good quality food with very generous portion size , sensible prices and not forgetting the Timothy Taylor beer !
This is the place to eat and drink.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a pint after a walk on a freezing March day, we were welcomed by a lovely fire and friendly staff. The beer was good too. Would recommend based on our experince. Grassington is great too. Cheers

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank beakysmate
derby
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We chose the Foresters for lunch after a recommendation from a passerby. Big mistake. The Inn was drab, menu uninspiring, emphasis on quantity over quality and presentation pseudo-pretentious. I don't like eating an over generous main course out of a pudding dish - this does not make it posh! I had slow roasted lamb in minted gravy which sounded good. it was £14 and there was enough meat for 3 people, but the minted gravy I think was achieved by adding mint sauce which was very vinegary and left me in discomfort for the rest of the day.

Mausan

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fransan

Travelers are raving about these Grassington hotels

York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Istayed for one night while walking part of the Dales Way. The room was clean and the food for dinner and breakfast was very nice. Very good value for bed, breakfast and dinner. All the staff make you feel very welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank YorkTimmy
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My partner and I arrived into Grassington late morning, and having made an early start chose to have lunch here before a late wander around the village.

We were greeted by the barmaid although not convincingly in a friendly manner as we clearly were from out of town. We ordered drinks, although we had to have an alternative from our first choice of Timothy Taylor's Landlord as she'd been cleaning the lines and not yet pulled the beer through them - Great to know essential work is being done, but surely this should be carried out prior to opening??

When I questioned about food (I was already aware they didn't start serving it until 12.00) I said as it was 11.40 shall I order it with our drinks to be told "You can but it won't go up to the kitchen until 12!!" Surely it would have been in their interests to have sent it through anyway, given it was on what we locally at home know as 'Black Friday' when many people break up from work?? This would be proven later!!

The biggest contrast was when a couple of men walked in who were local but not regulars, and clearly not liked by the barmaid as she proceeded to talk about them quite loudly and not complimentary with her colleague, compared with a local who was obviously a regular user of the pub and who encountered smiling, friendly service in return for an offer to them of a drink each.

When the food arrived, the chicken curry was really good, and my partner, she chose the soup and sandwich deal which was good value.

As the bar started to get busier with what we were told they called 'Builders Friday', I noticed a growing level of difficulty getting served even though I'm well in excess of 6ft, which was a real shame as the beer was good when I did get it!! There were examples not just of me, but other non-locals who would be queue-jumped by a shout of 'The usual??' Or 'Same again??' and my wait would lengthen again. Eventually we'd had enough and went across to the Devonshire Arms, 30 yards away and experienced nothing at all of the selectiveness like at the Foresters.

My advice is yes your regulars use the pub frequently, so give them good service, but you can't survive without travelling trade and its the travellers who'll review their experience on TripAdvisor, not the locals so don't discriminate!! We're equals with £££'s to spend and they spend anywhere - Indeed the Devonshire had what would have been yours!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SuntanMan10
Bewdley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed all over the UK with my work and have never done a review. But the Forester's deserves to be the exception. We went on Thursday 'Pizza and Pasta' night, a long table of about twenty all served together, excellent food, extremely reasonable - good choice of beers in good nick, I had the Taylors, excellent. Star attraction is without doubt the landlady who I tried to gyp, but she gave it back with interest. An lovely quick-witted, funny and warm host. The review title is for her, if she sees it I'm sure she'll still have the last word:
'Forester's brilliant - watch out for the Dragon!'

Room Tip: This is a pub and restaurant review - we'd pre-booked somewhere to stay. Pity.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wirral
Reviewed August 26, 2012

stayed in Grassington a number of times now and eaten and drank in all of the places in the main street as has most of my family. The pub serves lovely beer but as many of the pubs in this street (not including the Bull here) you can wait while they serve locals first, last year my wife and i waited at the bar and the bar tender shouts across to 3 men who were local " are you aright there for another", this was utterly rude. Place is lovely and so are the shops, pubs and restaurants but please, there is no excuse for ignorance. this wasnt the only pub were we expeirienced this by the way and the locals should realise that they should not take visitors for granted.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grassington
Black Horse Hotel
#1 of 20 in Grassington
Ashfield House
Ashfield House
#5 of 20 in Grassington

Been to Forester's Arms? Share your experiences!