“Rude, Unhelpful and Unwelcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grassington
Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 20 Grassington B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I would seriously recommend that given all the amazing hotels and B&Bs in the Grassington area to give this one a wide berth!!

I booked this hotel during the run up to my wedding to accommodate myself (the groom), my father, 2 best men, 1 usher and 2 other special guests. I called several weeks in advance and secured 7 beds for two nights. Though the hotel can sleep up to 9, I was told by the owner she could handle no more than 7 people. I sent in a securing deposit and written confirmation to confirm.

I called back a fortninght before the wedding to check everything was OK only to be told by the owner that she had double booked for the saturday as she had not copied by full reservation into the diary, and she had allowed a party of 4 in for the saturday night (which actually took her to the 9 beds I was told she would not allow). At no point did she acknowledge fault or apologise for the error, she just said I'd have to "sort myself out". Bearing in mind this was 2 weeks before our wedding, this was stress I could have done without!!

When we arrived at the property to check in the owner had not prepared the rooms and had no idea where any of the party would be staying (and again offered no apology to the mix up on the reservation) so we spent 30-45 minutes trying to arrnage the rooms. Due to the issues with the reservation 2 people were to move out on the saturday morning (I had to move the groom's father to a new hotel on the morning of the wedding!!) and 2 partners were to join instead to allow for reduced bed space.

When the two additional people arrived the following day, the owner confronted them and dragged them into one of the rooms as a receipt had been left on the windowsill and the condenstaion had leaked through and made a small mark on the paintwork - a) a minor problem, b)nothing to do wiht the 2 new arriving guests. The owners exact works were "Im sick of this bl**dy wedding already"

Given we secured the rooms, paid deposit in full, generated the hotel over £500 in income, and were very very understanding about the error with the double booking I was appaled at the way the owner managed our entire stay.

In the same weekend we had over 60 people staying in and around the Grassington area and everyone of them said their hotel was perfect. It's a real shame that as the groom on the day, with enough on my mind, I had to worry about this as well.

Again this is an amazing area so please make the most of it and where possible avoid staying in this guest house instead seek out the reviews and the many other excellent establishments in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sprouthead
David L, Owner at Kirkfield Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

We are incredibly sorry that your party was double-booked. It was an error made by the elderly lady who runs the bed and breakfast. She did, however, sort out alternate accommodation, and paid for the difference herself.

I cannot imagine that an 81 year old woman 'dragged' two people into a room, but clearly she is stronger than she looks. There was a mark on the paintwork which appeared to have been caused by a perfume bottle and nothing we can do will remove the stain.

Again, I am so sorry that you had to deal with this stress on your wedding, as a wedding is stressful enough without having to change sleeping arrangements. We have reviewed our booking system and will endeavour to ensure that this does not happen again.