“Hotel by the river”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nonthaburi
Singapore
“Hotel by the river”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I choose this hotel while looking for a hotel near IMPACT exhibition & convention centre. The information given on the website was not accurate. It says the hotel is 5Km from IMPACT, it was not. It's about 30 mins away & so it was inconvenient for us. I read on the website that the room I booked had a separate bath tub but it was not the case. Upon check in, I was given keys to a room that has not been checked out. Fortunately we noticed the “Do not disturb” sign on the door. So we only got our room in the evening after we returned from IMPACT. The breakfast was supposed to end at 10am but the food was almost gone by the time we got down at 9.30am on the 1st morning. So the next morning we went down at 9.15am, & the situation was the same. I was told in my face that they had no intention to replenish. They only replenished 1 dish after some fuss from me! The checkout was a bad experience- At this point I was told that they have not been paid. I showed them my paid voucher from hotel.com & they showed me a reservation by expedia.com with my name on it. The reservation ID was not the same, the credit card was not mine but they insisted that I had to make a full payment before I could leave. The assistant manager could not call the (middle-man) a travel agency cos it was a Sunday & I had a flight to catch!! After several attempts, I managed to get thru to the hotel.com hotline & was assured that I had made full payment with the customer service, hopefully the matter is now closed. This whole episode at the checkout cost me time to the airport, which was not nearby as claimed by the website, it took us almost 45 mins to get there, with no traffic jam on a Sunday. The hotel has a very nice restaurant by the river & it’s reputed for its good food. I did not get to try it as it was closed for a private function when we wanted to go. Generally, the staff do not speak much English, so don’t feel bad if they avoid eye contact with you. It's a pity as I read such great reviews about this hotel. I will not likely come back again even if it's for relaxation. There are better options for the rates I paid.

• Stayed September 2013
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Hazel Menon,

Thank you for choosing the Buddy Riverside, located alongside the banks of the idyllic Chao Phraya River.

On behalf of everyone at our hotel I would like to apologize to you regarding the problems you encountered during your stay. Please believe us when we say that these issues have been treated very seriously and our Management Team are looking into ways they can be corrected so they do not reoccur in the future.

We have contacted our on-line Web Team to alter the distance advertised to the Impact Arena, as the correct distance is10.5km. Usually, this is still quite a short journey in Bangkok as long as it is not during the rush hour traffic.

We are very sorry about the incidents that occurred when you checked into the hotel and when you left. Our Front Office Manager has conducted a thorough investigation into both events and has put additional safeguards in place to make sure these problems will not surface again.

To clarify one point when you were first given the keys for your room it was not occupied by another guest. This particular room had very recently been cleaned by our housekeeping department, who were in the process of finalizing this when you arrived outside your room and saw the 'do not disturb' sign.

At our hotel we host many conferences and meetings which generally start early in the morning. This means that most of our guests take a very early breakfast. We have instructed our Food and Beverage Manager to check the food levels later in the morning to ensure that any guests that come late still have a good selection of dishes available for breakfast.

We are sorry you suffered so many difficulties during your stay and hope that one day you might consider returning to the Buddy Riverside to see the improvements and changes we are implementing now.

Group Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been living in Bangkok for over a year and the city can be very hectic at times. Me and some friends agreed that we need some change of scenery so there we went!

The hotel itself is located next to Chao Phraya river and it is a bit of a drive out of main part of town- about 40mins. We statyed in a two bedrooms pool villa- best idea ever! Everything there was amazing. We got there in time for sunset so we went to pool that is up in little castle (suspected it was really a castle used in the old days) and it was pure serene. Had some cocktails by the other pool in the middle of the main hotel bit. We had one of the best seafood dinner- would highly recommend pineapple fried rice OMG the best i've tasted! The fried fish was fresh like it just came out of the river. The hotel is just so quiet- so peaceful. Exactly what we were looking for. Having lived in centre of Bangkok makes me appreciate this experience all the more.

We had few more drnks in our living room before deciding to have midnight swim. It was really fun. The pool was large and we had amazing sleep without hangover in the morning! We had oil massage too. The spa rooms were awesome.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants peaceful weekend. You wouldn't feel like you're in bangkok at all! It is a short drive away from centre of bangkok and we felt like we're in the likes of Chiang rai or something. Can be awesome for lovebirds too. Reasonably priced hotel, friendly staff and amazing food. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Pool villas are awesome. You can also have three bedrooms pool villa.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ieatpolarbear
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear I eat polar bears,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Buddy Riverside and for taking the time to post such a great review of your recent experiences on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read you had such a wonderful time during your short stay with us and we hope you will be able to visit again in the future. We are also glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the delicious food we serve at our riverside restaurant, Song Fang Klong.

Thank you for the very kind recommendations to use the Hotel's massage centre and our 4 huge pool villas.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best Wishes

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is an amazing hotel. Its position on the river, its architecture, the clapboard interior of the rooms, the nineteenth century furniture all reminded me of nothing so much as an old Confederate Plantation House or a new Mississippi River Casino. It is a beautiful hotel, and we loved our brief stay there. If it were downriver, near the Sheraton and Shangri-la, we'd opt for it every time we are in Bangkok. But it is nowhere near the center of touristic Bangkok. We booked it because it seemed to be near Don Muang airport where we had flown in and from which we were flying out again next day. The hotel wanted 1000 baht for transport from the airport: that should have been my first clue that the hotel wasn't really close to Don Muang. (An airport limo to Silom costs the same!) The car we booked at the airport cost 850, but took fifty minutes to find the hotel. It's way to the west and way too far to visit the downtown itself. Thus, I can see how other reviews call this hotel a perfect getaway from Bangkok. It gets one far away indeed. But as a transit hotel or as a hotel from which to tour Bangkok, it might as well be on the Mississippi. BTW, a metered taxi got us from the hotel to Don Muang in forty minutes for 140 baht!!! The hotel's Thai restaurant is housed in a beautiful ante-bellum hall and a vast adjoining pier along the riverside. The fresh sea bass was magnificent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackIndo
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Jackindo,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Buddy Riverside and for taking the time to write a review of your experiences on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know you were impressed with the hotel’s colonial style structure and thought it was a beautiful old fashioned building. We are also pleased you were able to try the Sea Bass at our Song Fang Klong Restaurant.

As you mention in your review the hotel is located quite some way from the centre of Bangkok. If any of our guests want to visit the shopping areas or weekend market in the middle of Bangkok our staff will assist them by arranging a taxi and giving the driver directions.

The surrounding Nontaburi neighborhood is very quiet and with the hotel being right beside the Chao Phraya river the views at night are quite spectacular.

The price we charge for taxis to and from the hotel are fair in comparison with our nearby competitors, though on occasion the meter cab might be cheaper depending on the amount of traffic encountered.

Overall we are pleased you had a good stay at our hotel and hope you would consider a longer vacation in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

stayed twice as hotel was so so enjoyable and great value.
quiet setting by the river but easy enough for a cheap taxi into the heart of bangkok.
huge rooms by any city standard, great four poster bed,full size desk , lovely balcony.
lovely tiled bathroom with huge ,powerful walk-in shower and huge mirror!!

2 great pools, one in the courtyard and the other overlooking the river.

we were late for breakfast buffet on day 1, but no problem and a sumptious feast was whipped up in next to time and still served with famous thai smiles.

only minor annoyance was the price of sangsom (local thai whisky/rum) that is now my fave tipple priced almost the same as top shelf branded spirits plus tax and service charge.

overall was an excellent, romantic,tranquil stay delivered with great service.
the fact it is slightly off the beaten track makes it so serene.

will definately be my go to place on my return visits/lay-overs in bangkok.

Room Tip: river view overlooking rear pool are fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cw50
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear CW50,

Thank you for posting such a positive and comprehensive review of your recent stay at the Buddy Riverside Hotel in Pakkred.

All our staff were delighted to learn you had two wonderful trips here and found our resort to be such excellent value for money.

Our river view rooms are truly stunning in the early evening, just as the sun is setting. The overall peace and tranquility makes for a very romantic experience.

We look forward to your next visit next time you are in Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 31, 2012

we spent one night in this hotel and we have some comment to share.
1. the location is ideal for quiet weekend, it so close to bangkok but it so peaceful looking at the river by 8.00pm it so quiet. totally love it
2. Koh Kred, it a must do, eating and visiting village. Just love the boat ride.
3. We had a riverview room and I totally worth the money for upgrade, the upgrade cost 500 THB/night. the decoration and material are high standard. Free WIFI but poor light in the room, too dark to read
4. the swimming pool on 2nd fl has the best view for sunset. very lovely and peaceful
5. the restuarant is very good, nice view, nice food with decent price but the food have to wait quite along time especially the grill menu

Something I want to comment for the hotel
1. I think you should do something about people who visit nearby restuarant come on to the hotel since the hotel is pretty open space and you have rooms on ground floor as well. To have people wondering around make guests feel a little bit uncomfortable.
I mean they can go right up from the front to the pool then walk direct to second floor. I totally understand that you have strict security right at the gate but still I feel uncomfortable.
If i'm a hotel guest who swimming and having a peaceful moment for the sunset then all of sudden people turn up, i think my moment kind of ruin.
I think you need a bit more separation between hotel and restuarant
2. I would like to have more information on activities. You can sell a lot more if you tell me more what you have available instead of having me guessing what activities available.
3. Why you have DVD player when you dont have DVD to borrow? nothing serious but we just think it doesnt make sense lol.

Overall, we still like it and will recommend to our friends if they dont have alot of time to drive out of town but want some place to relax

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank proudy
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Proudy,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred and for taking the time to share your thoughts with the online travel community.

We were delighted to read you felt we represented the ideal weekend getaway from the bustling city of Bangkok and that you enjoyed our swimming pools and the food served in our Song Fang Klong Restaurant.

Thank you also for your generous recommendation to upgrade to a pool view room with a stunning view of the nearby river.

At the Buddy Riverside we do understand the importance of guest security and guest privacy. Your comments regarding these matters have been passed to the whole management team and together we will consider how we can best improve this situation for our future guests. We hope that this intrusion did not detract to much from your pleasant stay.

Our friendly reception staff are trained to be able to assist our guests if they require information about activities in the local area or Bangkok as a whole and are easily approachable.

Your comment regarding the DVD selection is something we are considering implementing in the future.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be able to visit us again to see the positive changes we have set in place.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Room is quite big and comfortable suitable for Family , Location near by Koh Kred which is a popular place for tourist. Food very delicious and friendly staff to service us. i have stay twice times in this hotel and recommend this hotel if you are looking for hotel in Thai plus modern style near by bangkok.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Woraburisukhumvit
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Woraburisukhumvit,

Thank you for staying with us it sounds like you discovered and enjoyed many of the unique highlights of our resort during your stay.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed the property, location, facilities and service provided by our friendly staff.

Please can we also extend our thanks to you for your generous recommendation to other travelers to come and stay at our Riverside Hotel.

It would be our pleasure to have you and your family return to the Buddy Riverside in 2013.

Bangkok
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Good experience to stay here with resort style, enjoin with delicious Thai food at the riverside restaurant (Song Fang Klong), friendly staff, just near by Bangkok city center. Good view to do photo shooting and many activities to do, I went to Koh Kert tour by boat, very interesting with local Thai village.

Room Tip: Stay like home enjoin with 2 swimming pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Suakrai,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful colonial style hotel and made the most of all our modern facilities.

Thank you for also mentioning our Song Fang Klong Restaurant, which sits right beside the Chao Phraya River and offers a wide range of exquisite Thai dishes.

We hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Group Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nonthaburi
Mida Hotel Ngamwongwan
#185 of 858 in Bangkok
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,246 reviews
Nonthaburi Palace Hotel
#7 of 18 in Nonthaburi

Been to Buddy Oriental Riverside Pakkred? Share your experiences!