All reviews welcome drink resort and spa relaxing experience dietary needs caribbean islands cable television pleasure of staying jasmine room margaret thomson toco trinidad bathing marsha poolside port anise
Reviewed May 14, 2015

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of April 2015. We had read previously the outstanding reviews and putting it quite simply - they were accurate. The staff have a very attentive and genuinely caring attitude - more of that later. The hotel has an idyllic location perhaps all the better for being a little off the beaten track. The hotel has its "own" soft sand beach/bay which, in itself, is one of the lesser visited turtle beaches. The property is multi-level giving varying views of the beach. The public spaces were kept spotless and tidy. Our room was clean, reasonably spacious and well maintained with a quietish air-conditioning unit. Hotels are often remembered by their staff and the food and here the Anise truly excels. The lovely Margaret and Donna were charming, engaging and attentive, Krysta doing the general management with a deft, classy touch and wonderful smile, well assisted by Shervin. A special mention for Neville the driver/factotum as well. Such a pity we can't remember the others names because they contribute to a happy place to stay. The food is excellent and I referred to their caring attitude earlier. We'd mentioned to Krysta that we could find main food courses heavy going in hot climates - no problem - we were presented with a series of light/starter courses for our dinners (delicious btw). A second caring instance followed a misinformation from the turtle station at Grand Riviere which resulted in our missing of the video presentation and briefing which detracted from our visit to the turtle beach. Word of it got back to the hotel, and as a result we were given a complimentary trip the next night.

All in all, well done Anise. It is a wonderful place. The 5 star reviews are fully justified. I will take to task the one "terrible" review given here on TripAdvisor. I've realised that it is written by a Basil Fawlty imposter and that, (to Brits at least) should be all the perspective needed.

David & Angela Howarth, Westhoughton, UK

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank CaptainLees
Reviewed April 14, 2015

I can't speak more highly of the Anise resort - it's a perfect little jewel. The accommodation, furnishings and general maintenance are all superb - there is so much attention to detail. And all the staff are so attentive - we could ask for nothing more, and have been superbly cared for during our stay. Meals are delicious and always freshly prepared. And to top it all I indulged in a facial and pedicure from the excellent beautician so now feel a new woman.

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are lovely. The Jasmine room has a door directly onto the first floor veranda which overlooks the sea shore.
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Su K
Reviewed April 7, 2015

We stayed here for Easter, and stayed for 3 nights... I wish it was for the week, its was so relaxing and peaceful, I was blown away by the service of ALL the staff, Margaret , Donna,Christa, Mrs + Mr Thompson, the tall guy with the ''accent'' by the bar , the older gentleman who came out to meet us, the younger female (her name escapes me) their service are all on par! we were greeted with fruit juices and cold towels to cool us after the long drive
The place is well kept and very clean, the food...omg the food........made with herbs picked in their very own garden.....we were treated to both plate service and buffet style dining, the tables were set especially for each guest/family which added that personal touch. I would definitely be returning........there were times when i was not quite ready to eat and this was after the breakfast time / lunch time...and it was noooo problem...they would adjust to accommodate us....there is a round the clock tea table also....
we got clean indoor towels and poolside towels.....our room was cleaned everyday and it was a nice surprise because we never saw anyone in there! lol....there was ''turn down'' in the evening and chocolates were left by our bedside.....if you want rest, relaxation and quiet time......this is definitely the place to be :)

Room Tip: the cardamom room is more away from any ''traffic''
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank nikky b
Reviewed April 5, 2015

We visited the Anise for two nights at the end of a two week nature tour of Trinidad and Tobago. What a great finale!

Anise is a small hotel ideal for relaxation. The friendly staff were always there to deal with our every need and went beyond expectations. The food was plentiful; the best we had in Trinidad and Tobago, and the rooms were modern and well furnished.

The spa was very relaxing and comfortable.

The hotel also arranged for us to visit nesting leatherback turtles in nearby Grande Riviere, which was an unforgettable experience.

Thank you Krysta and all of your team and colleagues for ensuring our last three days in Trinidad were so enjoyable.

Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Khimothy
Reviewed April 4, 2015

Literally just came back from Anise Resort and Spa and could not wait to do this review.

I have travelled to many all inclusives across the Caribbean and it was a shame that I knew nothing about this gem in my own back yard.

First, Krista the manager went out of her way to ensure that I could have the experience. The place is small, only 11 rooms I understand, and booked solid for the long weekend. But I really wanted a spa treatment and a restful night afterward and with some shuffling, she made it happen. She even called me back when I couldnt get through to make the reservation. Unheard of!

My girlfriend and I did not regret a minute of being at Anise. After the two hour drive on the winding road, we were greeted with cold towels and drinks and awesome smiles by everyone. I felt like I was an old friend coming home. When we got there a little before our check in it was not a problem, Krista checked us in anyway. That alone is not very common to all inclusives but it was just the beginning of the wonderful experience.

The spa was MAGNIFICENT!!!! Claire did my facial, manicure and pedicure and Marsha did my body scrub and massage. What a team! Magic! And Claire just has one of those girl-next-door kinda personalities that put you right at ease. Felt like I knew her for years not an hour! Professional and knowledgeable in their craft and honestly seemed happy to be of service throughout our hours at the Anise Spa. They treated us like we were their only clients the entire time and made the experience special indeed as they took their time with everything. Absolutely nothing could have made it better.

As the place is small, you would find the manger being the server or the maid bringing your drink but no worries. They always smiled and had a nice word for you. Donna was like a sweet mom to us two gals that she only just met and we couldnt be happier. The food was tasty and local but with something for a foreigner's palette as well. For instance, a traditional Good Friday meal in Trinidad involves fish. Our meal on arrival was TASTY saltfish, ground provision and dumplings. I was not salty or overseasoned so a foreigner could enjoy it. For a local like me it was "more-ish". That night they served a four course meal involving italian flat bread, cous-cous and lamb. Yummy and sufficient.

The room was clean and well laid out and quiet. The sea is over the road and the crashing waves immediately put you to sleep. Nothing to disturb you at all.

Altogether, I paid TT$4,000 for this experience of facials, manicures, pedicures, body scrubs, massages, dinner, lunch, breakfast and lodging for two. That's a steal if you ask me. The treatment alone was worth far more. Thanks guys for the physical and mental repair job. I almost feel I should jealously guard this secret so it wont potentially be unavailable next time I visit but this place is truly a gem the world needs to be a part of.

The only "bad" thing and I use the term bad loosely is that the bar wasnt open at night. After dinner some wine or drinks would have been nice and even while chilling at the pool before lunch some cocktails would have fit right in. But if the theme is relaxation it's forgiveable.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the sea and allow you to at least hear the crashing waves. There is no noisy bar, neighbours or anything to disturb sleep so you are fine with any room
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled with friends