All reviews welcome drink resort and spa relaxing experience dietary needs caribbean islands cable television pleasure of staying jasmine room margaret thomson toco trinidad bathing marsha poolside port anise
Reviewed September 15, 2014

I wanted a Weekend Getaway and that is exactly what I got. The resort is located along the north eastern coast of Trinidad, far from the hustles and bustles of city life. So if it's a quiet stay you want, here is the place. This part of the island isn't known for its night life.
One of the things that sets this Resort apart from the others that I have been to in Trinidad is the service. The staff was genuinely courteous and very helpful. This was literally some of the best service I have gotten in Trinidad.
The food was top notch in both aesthetics and of course taste. The chefs know what they are doing.
The price of the stay is inclusive of breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack and dinner. I can honestly say that it was money well spent. I would recommend this Resort to any couple (local or foreign) who wants a peaceful vacation.

• Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Trini_Yick
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have stayed in hotels and resorts all over the world.....but the service, the quality and variety of the meals, the attention to detail has put Anise at the top of my list. The staff...esp Donna and Margaret and the special lady in the kitchen made our 6th Anniversary truly memorable!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mimo2308
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Everything, except the one negative review, that you read here is true and descriptive of my own experience at Anise. I just returned from my second stay at Anise and I was very happy to discover that the amazing service that I enjoyed on my first visit was just the same the second time around...this is not typical of most locally owned and managed establishments in Trinidad as I am sure most would agree. The welcome was warm and inviting as always....the towels to freshen up and the welcome drink along with that breathtaking view of the infinity pool overlooking the ocean is just the way to start your perfect weekend getaway. The rooms are immaculate, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The staff are exceptional...I have not come across a more genuinely warm, caring, attentive and pleasant group of people at any hotel anywhere in Trinidad or elsewhere. To help you understand the quality of this hotel and the people who work there I must share this story...on our last visit to Anise around Easter this year, my mother in law forgot an outfit in the closet. I inquired about it when Margaret was turning down the beds and she said she would check as they usually store all forgotten items for about three months although they have some things for as long as one year. I have to say, I was not really expecting that we would get the outfit back. To my surprise the next morning, Donna, asked me what the outfit looked like and I described it to her - a few minutes later she brought it for me...I was really pleasantly surprised. So let me talk about the food for a bit. The food (and I know good food as my mom is a caterer) is really, really good...a culinary delight - beautifully presented and very tasty and filling. Dinner is usually a 4 course meal including dessert...the meals are filling but are not overly large...this is a good thing in my opinion but for some, the servings may seem a little small. Lunch is usually a 3 course meal with salad as a starter - and they make their own dressing which is light and fresh and oh so tasty that even my 5 year old daughter ate some salad! Breakfast is a combination of local and standard American breakfast items including eggs, sausages, coconut bakes, smoked herring etc. and you start with fresh fruit and yogurt (sometimes, homemade). At Anise, care and love is evident in every little detail. The cleanliness is beyond compare - as soon as we arrived and settled down my daughter was in the pool and as usual after 10 minutes in the water she needed to use the restroom. There is one just off the lounge area by the pool which is very convenient. After she was finished, there was a puddle of water on the floor from her wet bathing suit so I decided just to mop it up a bit with some tissue. To my amazement, the tissue was clean after wiping the floor! This is indicative of the entire resort...spotless and well tended and cared for. I was fortunate on this trip to get a massage - I had not booked one before but Krista (the manager) accommodated my last minute request and even did the massage herself. It was a treat and I will be sure to have one on my next trip. Yes, I will be returning, as often as I can to this beautiful haven. Keep up the great job Krista and team.

Room Tip: rooms on the upper floor are quieter and have access to the balcony overlooking the pool and ocean and also have access to the lounge area. there are a few ocean view rooms which you can request when booking.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank amhser
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I recently spent a night then later in the month, two nights at Anise Resort and Spa. We first stayed in the Lavender room which is the only ocean view room with a private balcony and a king size bed. On our second visit we were booked into the Jasmine room which has two standard beds and an ocean view but opens unto a public balcony. The installation of a small lattice partition can make this area private. Both rooms were nicely decorated with furniture one may see in a hotel up the island chain, unlike what obtains at most lower end hotels in Trinidad and Tobago. Rooms are spacious and clean with modern bathrooms. Beach towels and bathrobes are provided along with shampoo, lotion and Anise's own locally made bath soap with scents such as nutmeg and lemon/mint.

The Staff is amazing; they are attentive, honest, and very friendly especially Margaret and Donna. Guest are met by an attendant who assists with the parking of your vehicle and with your luggage. The hotel is up a steep hill and has a small car park so some driving skill is needed for maneuvering the driveway and parking. Guests are then taken to the main lobby, and offered cool hand towels for freshening up after the long journey to San Sousi, and a welcome non-alcoholic drink with a sugar cane stick in it. You are then invited to check in at the office, and given a tour if it is your first visit to Anise. The hotel has the most amazing views of Big Bay which is across the road. The sea, however, can be quite rough at times, and swimmers are advised to be cautious. The sea was a lot calmer during our second visit since it's August and that's when it's at its calmest.

Anise is an all inclusive hotel which provides its guests with an afternoon snack, dinner, breakfast and lunch. Tea, coffee, water and juices are available. Meals are served either at your table or buffet style depending on the amount of guests booked at the hotel. Personally I preferred to have my meals brought to my table. In this way you are served your dinner in courses rather than having it all piled unto a plate in one serving. The food tasted quite good but there were a couple of misses such as the chicken served on our first visit was over cooked and tough. There were lots of food; be prepared to pack on extra pounds by the time you leave :)

There isn't much to do in San Sousi and at Anise but that's just how we like it. Guest can lounge at the infinity pool, have a drink at the bar, read a book from the small library, play a board game in the large, nicely furnished lounge, look at a DVD which can be had from the office, or surf if you know how and have a surf board. You can also have a spa treatment but must book in advance. I would recommend Anise for persons who want a quiet, romantic getaway or are seeking some R&R at the end of the work week.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on the upper floor are best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tinimax
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I got a last minute reservation, the person there, called and begged me to come after I had made an inquiry. She didn't sound like your typical booking agent.
There are only 11 rooms. What kind of place only has 11 rooms. No action at all !
The directions I was provided left a lot to be desired, I passed the place and ended up at a nearby beach where the locals were frolicking in the extremely large waves. - very scary.
After barely making it up an impossible hill, we were met by a guy who directed us to park in a very precarious position. He insisted on taking my luggage as if I was not able to do it myself - the nerve ! He took my bags to the room - I was afraid that he was going to steal them.
They gave us a welcome drink by the pool with a fresh sugarcane stick dangerously sticking out of it, I nearly lost an eye.
Got there at the end of afternoon tea, I asked for my coffee to be reheated. Some woman there brought us a full pot of french pressed coffee. Who needs that kind of extravagance !
They put fresh mint in the drinks I ordered at the pool. it was green!
My dinner was fine,my fiance didn't eat what they presented and boom, the lady just grabbed it and took it away and quickly brought back the ribs of a poor little baby sheep - barbaric ! Breakfast was kinda local food but they didn't make it like you would expect.
We were served some kind of obscure ocra thing by the pool - definitely not chips or crackers.
The staff kept talking and talking to us, they wouldn't leave us alone. The one woman kept re-filling my glass as much as I tried to finish it !
My fiance had a massage - she said that she felt like pudding after. I was concerned.
The accommodations? well I don't cant say enough about that. (see traveler pic on TripAdvisor, there were show what it really is like).
Do not go here - it is impossible to get a booking.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple