All reviews welcome drink resort and spa relaxing experience dietary needs caribbean islands cable television pleasure of staying jasmine room margaret thomson toco trinidad bathing marsha poolside port anise
Reviewed May 11, 2014

One night is not enough in this amazing resort. From the moment we arrived to the second we let we felt like old friends rather than hotel guests. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed with a drink, cold towel and then a guided tour of the facilities.
Our room was impeccable, the beds comfy and the room tastefully decorated. Tea and coffee facilities were available 24l7. The food was wonderful and tasty - included in the room price. I enjoyed a manicure and pedicure in the spa and wished I had booked ahead for more time as the treatments were well priced and professionally executed.
Whilst there we took advantage of a turtle tour (additional but reasonable cost) again well delivered and an awesome experience. There is nothing I would change about Anise, the staff were wonderful,accommodating and flexible. 24 hours is not enough to enjoy this wonderful Caribbean jewel. the view of the ocean is awesome and the sounds of waves so relaxing.
I didn't get the chance to see the fitness room so apologise if the score (average) is inaccurate but i couldn't change it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chocoholicBangkok
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have just returned from just a one night stay at this exquisite resort. My fiance and I spent two days at another resort in Salybia and boy oh boy, it really was "chalk and cheese". Service at Anise is impeccable. Margaret was especially impressive with her care and attention to our needs and her warmth and charm really made us feel at home. Overall the entire staff did a remarkable job.. There are only 10 or 11 rooms available which adds to the exclusive appeal and the personal touch. Dining was pleasurable...not buffet style which takes away from the experience, but our dinner was brought to our table by the staff who took the time to chat with us and make sure we were enjoying everything. Parking was tight, but again, care was taken to ensure that everything moved smoothly along and efficiently. The welcome drink was a lovely touch and the refreshing moist towels. The infinity pool was clean and the view overlooking the ocean was spectacular. We stayed in the Nutmeg room, which the owners admitted was the smallest room there, but it was cozy and we felt very much at home. The bathroom was very spacious and the towels were lily white. Overall I do not have a single negative comment to say. I also treated myself to a hot-stone massage from the spa, which was heavenly. Who needs to go to Tobago or another island to get away? We have paradise right here in Trinidad, nestled in San Souci. Anise...you will definitely be seeing me again and soon, before turtle watching season ends! :)

Room Tip: Next time I am booking the Jasmine room which is overlooking the ocean...it's a little bit more in price, but I think it is worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank slpersad
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I had an awesome expeience at Anise. Beautifully decorated to make you feel the relaxing mood from the time you arrive to the time you leave. Polite, helpful and caring staff. Tasty food, from breakfast to dinner, you look forward to every meal. The ambience and atmosphere was awesome and the room was cozy and encouraged relaxation. Nice and breezy all day, you just want to sit and enjoy the sea breeze. All in all a wonderful experience. Thanks to the Administration and staff at Anise Resort and Spa for a wonderful time we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gillian0103
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The ambience alone is worth the drive to this north coast resort where I had an expert Swedish massage and shared delectable culinary delights with my small family. The horizon pool, breezy coconut-shaded Salybia beach across the way and vintage accommodation with modern creature comforts made fro a perfect weekend retreat. Lavender room highly recommended!

Room Tip: Lavender room overlooks ocean. Jasmine is their honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank lengualynda
Reviewed March 31, 2014

So I remembered stumbling upon this neatly tucked away resort in San Souci. For Port of Spain folks its about a two hour trip for you guys. South people, well you guys might want to leave at the crack of dawn and well for me, I'm already close by, only 40 minutes away.

This was really an impromptu kinda decision as my son is currently preparing for the SEA Exam and I wanted to offer him and the rest of the family a break from the stress. So Anise popped up and I decided to book like two days before. Much to my amazement I managed to secure a booking as most places are usually booked out for long weekends. So I spoke to one Krista, who was very helpful on the phone and arranged my family's accommodation.

The Journey to Anise is really a most picturesque and enjoyable one. The North-East Coast of Trinidad is simply breathtaking and it was about to get better. Arriving at Anise, we were greeted by Krista and two other attendants flanked with our welcome drinks and a nice warm towel to freshen up. Immediately I said to myself......this is going to be a really good weekend!! You all know that old adage about first impressions? Well that first impression at Anise lingers!! Seriously. The surroundings are very well kept. There wasn't any major sign of building deterioration given the close proximity to the sea.

Service here is impeccable. The Staff is well trained and everyone greets you like you're family. It was only at the point of leaving I learnt that the resort is family owned and I told Jackie (lady owner) that I now understand the family atmosphere. Speaking of Jackie. That woman is super nice!! Jeez.....she works her but off so that her guests are most comfortable. Her Husband Eldon sits by the bar most times smoking his cigars and strikes up the most polite conversation. It's like he's strategically positioned there lol. Really nice guy all the same.

The Food. Gosh the food!!!!!! It's amazing!!! I was telling my wife that the home styled cuisine reminded me of my favorite home styled restaurant, Jemma's at Speyside, Tobago. I also learnt that the staff that served us were also the cooks!! yup...no fancy chef there, and to know the quality of the food was so amazing. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is included in your package and you will seriously not regret that. The buffet quality is really good. Two meats most times, starch, salad and veges galore. So even if you're trying to shed a few pounds, the menu is very healthy AND delicious. Imagine my kids had salad and veges!! That is a feat no one has ever pulled off before!! lol. I have to mention the cutlery. The dinnerware was very clean and the cutlery was like brand new. It's not like it was a new resort. It would seem they rotate their plates and cutlery very often.

The room we had was very cosy and comfortable. Not forgetting we were on the ground floor and very close to the pool. Krista worked some magic there, much to the delight of the kids. The room was spotless. I seriously mean SPOTLESS!!! Sooo I did a lil experiment there. I used one of the lilly white bathroom towels and wiped the floor of the room AND the washroom. Not a trace of dirt or dust. The A/C blower seems to be needing some cleaning though. The exterior of the unit was very clean but the inside portion, where the air would blow out was a bit mouldy. A very minor detail given all the nice things about this place if you ask me. Towels and linen were all lilly white. The pool towel however was a bit small for a big guy such as my self. Again, nothing really to complain about. Oh there's no cable TV or DirecTV, but there is a TV and DVD player. You can check Krista at the office where you can get some movies if you so desire. Altho, with the beach next door and the lovely pool, there isn't much time for TV anyways. There's a wrap around balcony on the top floor which makes for an enticing view of the sea. Tobago can also be seen clearly at nights there too.

About that "fitness room". This I think is the resort's only major downfall. It is seriously small and really cramped to say the least. I enjoy my usual morning workout and there wasn't any room to move in there. There's an elliptical machine, a bench press with weights and a cycling machine. All three machines took most of the space and it would mean doing your exercise routine in your room or better yet down at the beach. I managed to get my workout done in the room.

That beach just over the road (ie Big Bay). It is advised if you so desire a sea bath that you venture closer to the rocky area to the left of the resort. That Big Bay can get pretty rough at times and caution should be taken at all times there. The fishing is pretty good there too.

In summary my weekend stay at Anise was most enjoyable and relaxed to say the very least. Anise is truly a hidden gem and most definitely Trinidad's best kept secret. I was very impressed with the service, the food and the general ambiance of the resort. It is most definitely a wonderful family vacation spot. It's also a great place to make that get away with your significant other. It goes without no surprise that I would highly recommend Anise to any foreigner or local alike. My only wish is that the management and staff remain committed to excellence cause it's currently working wonders for them.

Thank you Anise for a wonderful experience!! We'll be back!!

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are closer to the pool for kids. Top floor rooms are away from it all and seems a perfect choice for couples.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family