“Base camp at Mt Everest”

Mt. Everest Base Camp
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide Mt. Everest base camp trekking from both Tibet and Nepalese side. From Tibetan side it is about a 10 days tour on a four wheel drive and walking. Whereas from Nepalese side EBC trekking is a 16 days trek. First we fly to Lukla and and walk for 14 consecutive days with 2 day rests at Namche and Dingboche.For further information and enquiries please email to Mr Pandey at Thamel Travels and Tours Kathmandu wish you happy journey to Nepal and Tibet.
Madison, a
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Base camp at Mt Everest”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Mt Everest is beautiful but the visit from the Tibetian side was certainly not as advertised! We were able to see Mt Everest but we certainly did not feel that we were at the 'base' of it. We were miles from it... The base camp itself is a total dump. They are big nasty tents that house 12 to 14 guests - mixed genders with most of the occupants smoking. The cots have nasty carpents on them and blankets/pillows provided are TOTALLY dirty. The tents are poorly heated and the heat is from goat and sheep dung. There is no running water and the toilet facilities are deplorable. The only thing availalbe is a squat toilet with absolutely NO privacy. There are two holes per area so you can't even do your business in peace. The cost of our 10 day excursion was extravagant and we were certainly not prepared for such nasty living conditions. At base camp be prepared to eat, sleep, and pee in total squalor. There are no linens provided so if you do stay here - get a sleeping bag!!! Also, at night, the one naked lightbulb is turned off and there is total darkness. Forget even trying to get out of the tent to go to the toilet. There is no light... and no path to the toilet. Bring a flashlight if you plan to stay here. I would also bring my own food since the tent owner will be cooking your food... and is also putting dung in the fire. Did I mention that there is no running water and I never sanitizing gel anywhere.
I do not recommend using Wendy Wu or this facility!

Visited August 2013

61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Dream come true!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After dreaming about it for 10 long years, I finally made it to EBC & Kalapathar in Jan 2011. No matter how much you train for this trek, handling yourself and surviving in altitudes like 3500 to 5500 meters is something you cant train for. More than the cold, surviving the altitude was a challenge (not to mention surviving the Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu plane ride) ! Hiking slowly with fewer stops helped me sustain my energy. Whether its an assent or a decent, put the next step forward and keep going. EBC was all about stretching my limits. I guess only when you stretch your limits you know what you are capable of.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank meerams
London
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“A "must see"”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Despite the 5 hour trip from Shegar over unpaved roads the trip to Everest Base Camp is a must see even if there is cloud cover over the peaks. Make sure that you find a moment to stop at Rongphu monastery near the Base Camp and learn of the terrible story of the shooting of Monks and nuns last year - it is one of the mixed monasteries. Once at the Base Camp you (or your guide) select a hotel which is no more than a comfortable frame tent that sleeps around 6 and has a wood burning fire as its central focal point. The bus shuttle trip (25 yuan for a return) to the former Base Camp gives a better perspective on Mount Everest and is worth the fee.
Your host or hostess will provide a reasonable dinner and breakfast for a modest charge. Be warned however that there are no washing facilities and the loos some of the worst in the world. This is no place to have a tummy bug!
The return journey should be over different roads if you are going on to the Nepali border.
One thing that cannot be controlled and that is the weather but if you are fortunate enough to wake to a cloudless dawn you will never forget it.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank travelbug47london
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Majestic Everest”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The journey to Everest was a long one that commenced in Kunming and progressed over a few weeks climbing slowly every few days I have spoken of the accommodation in Kunming and I think it was mostly the same with a small degree of difference between towns and cities being Lijiang, Dali, Shangri-La, Llhasa, Shigatsi. Gyantse. The towns of New and Old Tingri will test your resolve with limited facilities but all hotels had normal toilet facilities except for Rombuk Monastery where the pit or should I say trench toilets are all that's available and don't expect privacy as all you have is a metre high wall and forget the door and that will be the case visiting most places like roadside toilets and some restaurants while travelling the roads. While the food we had was plentiful and nice due to the fact we were in a group deal and did not have choices except for buffet where it was mainly the same but there was some occasions that we had some variation on local dishes but there was always more than you could eat. You really did need to eat well to keep the energy up as every day there would be hundreds of steps awaiting you and I have to say that I trained for three months and on leaving for the trip I was 92kgs and on my return was 88kgs but in saying that there were 3 ladies in there seventies one seventy nine and they out did some of the younger women with the 300 steps up the Potala Palace with two younger women not able to make the climb. Some people had varying degrees of altitude sickness but nothing serious and even though I used Altitude sickness tablets and had slight breathing problems and at Everest itself and at all of the sites past Llhasa needed to be treated with caution by not doing things at a fast pace, one young girl in our group did and almost paid the price as she lost oxygen saturation in her blood level and I might add she was a junior doctor but she decided simply to takeoff up some stairs and within twenty minutes she was in difficulty but the senior doctor monitored her until she was able to breath properly again. It would be a good idea to take a finger style monitor for pulse and oxygen saturation levels. My age is 62 and I had a saturation level of 85-90 through most of the journey but at Everest my reading was 76 which at that altitude is quite normal but my ability to walk was affected and everything was kept to a slow pace with one climb up to the prayer mound just near the base camp was an enormous effort that was not completed by the oldest lady. The time of year we were there was April and still quiet cold but the overall experience is so worth it and include the hardship and inconvenience as part of that experience and it will be enjoyable with the key being a slow assent. The people there were friendly and the roadside sellers were not to annoying on the whole, there were old ladies who begged at some of the monasteries who I did give to but the street kids were to be avoided as were the dogs in some areas as they have rabies so be warned don't pat them or your holiday will end in tears or worse lIke one lady that was in another tour group in Old Tingari. I think traveling in Tibet will have to be done with a group situation and with local guides as negotiating all the check points are not possible, bottle water is not a problem and there are a lot of local foods that were ok as we brought from roadside markets fruit that can be peeled and certain dried foods and even ice creams when I saw them. In the cities it is wise to take on walk in the streets with extreme care dire to the traffic conditions being chaotic especially the electric scooter that are absolutely everywhere. In summary what I wanted to say was that reaching Everest is elation and although you are able to drive almost right to it the road in in a bus is a rugged ride of about 8 or so hours and its the windiest roughest road I have ever driven on but I have to say that the 4wd were doing it much easier or it appeared so and that's how I would do it next time and I will do it again as there is so much more to see but I would probably look to local tour organisers so I get to sample more local content and perspective.

Visited April 2013
14 Thank Brian G
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Everest Base Camp Trek with Heian Treks and Expedition”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I chose Heian Treks for my Everest Base Camp trip because it is a local trekking company, also I read some great reviews previously posted here on this company. Prem from Heian coordinated the entire trip for me and he was very helpful with everything. My guide Bhim was awesome, he helped me to get some trekking gear from the start in Kathmandu, and was very helpful throughout the entire trek. I couldn't have made to EBC without him! It was also a small group, just me and my guide which was great since I can trek at my own pace. I had a fantastic time in the Himalayas and thanks to Heian Treks that made it special and memorable. I am definitely using the same company again when I go back to Nepal for another trek and would highly recommend Heian Treks to all my family and friends. A trustworthy company with great people.

Visited May 2013