“The old days are gone!”

Steven's Bar-Bq Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Markdale
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our family has dined here for many years, however, since the next generation took over the business, its just not the same. We are so disappointed that we no longer have the quality that we were accustomed to by the senior staff and regret the day they retired. To cut costs one of the first things to go was hot water in the public bathrooms for hand washing. Makes me wonder what goes on in the kitchen for cost cutting measures. I have had the worst steak served to me ever in this establishment. How a place can go from catering Christmas dinners with Greek specialties to this is beyond me. The new generation has the expensive cars parked in the back and the worst cooked steak on the menu. The local clientele is all over 70 and they are past caring or tasting the food. Most things are poured from a bucket and no longer homemade. They mainly serve the depression era crowd who are happy to eat anything that adheres to the meat and potato diet! My business companion had to send his steak back to the kitchen since it was inedible. This was a very embarrassing situation to say the least!
The fish on the menu, when its available is usually fresh and not too bad. Then fresh salads are just that. Then too they would be since the salad fixin's are now too out of a box. Its hit or miss with the food, the service has always been good, with one exception: one server couldn't smile at you if her life depended on it!

1  Thank NanaRosaLil
There are newer reviews for Steven's Bar-Bq Restaurant

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times and have always enjoyed the food. However this time I found that they oversalted so I did not enjoy the meal as much as I usually have at this establishment. The service was excellent and the portions large. If they had not been heavy with the salt I would have rated this higher.

3  Thank Jane S
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Good pit stop for lunch when taking a day to explore the Beaver Valley. Service is friendly and purposeful. Well prepared and presented food in large portions. Everything is good...I really like their wings!

1  Thank Fly_Fisherman_11
Reviewed April 23, 2013

So I'm from the Niagara Region and purchased an item off an online auction and had to pick it up across the road from Steven's at the Home. I purchased the Steven's burger which came with Fries, salad and soup. The soup was Italian Wedding with some really tasty meatballs and the burger came with the works. The burger was fantastic and seasoned very well. The bacon was done to perfection with a slice of swiss cheese on the burger. It totally made my trip!!

I had a soft drink with the burger , salad and soup it the bill was $14.75. Totally amazing!!.. I dropped down 20 bucks with the remainder for the tip.

1  Thank Eddy H
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was trying to find a higher end restaurant in Durham which is about 20 - 25 minutes away. Steven's BBQ came up several times as being a great place to dine. We were not disappointed.
The decor is a little dated and they could really use some new chairs which are white but lightly stained by peoples hands on the backs. Don't get me wrong - the place is really clean and this single improvement would go miles.
I couldn't believe the quality and size of the portions. I will definitly go back. My cousin ended up taking about half her meal home for another meal. I had ribs and chicken with the sauce for the ribs on the side. What a great idea. Both items were cooked to perfection. I had heard about their desserts but there wasn't a chance we could try one as we were both stuffed.
The service was excellent and I think I tipped about 25% to the girl who said she had with the restaurant many years. She was one of the best waitresses I have had for several years!
I noticed there were Seniors, familys, young aults so it seems to cater to lots of peoples dining needs.