“Exceptional coffee”

Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Clarens
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Highland Coffee Roastery is in the beautiful mountain resort town of Clarens in the Eastern Free State, South Africa. We are a micro-roastery, and take great care and pride in roasting our 100% Arabica coffees to perfection in small batches.Our roastery, shop and espresso bar is in the Maluti Highlands Centre, where you can sit and relax with a cup of freshly roasted, freshly ground and perfectly prepared coffee and enjoy the beautiful view of Mount Horeb.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

A very smooth and delightful coffee, Enjoyed info from the barrister. A wonderful and enjoyable experience

Chris P, Owner at Highland Coffee Roastery, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Hi Landerson143 - we're happy to see you back at Highland Coffee. Thanks so much for the second review and great rating!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Nice coffee. Very poor/ non existent service.

Ordered coffee and croissants, had to remind them twice about the order and eventually, after 30 minutes were served the coffee but no croissants

Chris P, Owner at Highland Coffee Roastery, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hi karelmeyer,

Please accept our apologies for the breakdown in service this past weekend. This is obviously not our usual high standard, but on Clarens's busiest and craziest weekend of the year with 5000 visitors in town, our orders were up to 20 deep at times and we really did feel the pressure.
Croissants were selling as fast as we could bake them. I would have comped your table if you had brought your dissatisfaction to our attention at the time of paying. We comped a few coffees on the Saturday for those that waited longer than we felt was acceptable, or for any mistakes we made.

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Had coffee and tried something diffrent on the coffee menu every day. The weather was cold, and highlands coffee really went down well.

Highly recomend this establishment.

Chris P, Owner at Highland Coffee Roastery, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Hi Yusuf! Thanks for the thumbs up - it was a pleasure hosting you at Highland Coffee!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Early one morning, two-and-a-half years ago, I stumbled into a coffee bar in Clarens and met this barista fellow, Chris, who sat me down and took the time to explain to me exactly why I like coffee so much, why I like *good* coffee, how good coffee is made, why coffee is not an addiction, and why coffee is actually quite good for you. I have never forgotten getting that lesson (although he has!) Yesterday afternoon, recalling the memory, I took my wife to the new premises of Chris's Highland Coffee Roastery. It was pouring with rain, so I was lucky enough to get Chris all on his own, once again. He was in the middle of roasting coffee and, yet again, I was lucky enough to get a lesson on roasting coffee properly. I had a double espresso and my wife had a girly coffee. Marvellous! When it comes to coffee, this bloke knows exactly what he's banging on about.

It's been said elsewhere that the roastery is "off the beaten track". IMHO, it isn't - not if you can count twenty paces. It's perfectly situated. So, don't bother going to a restaurant for coffee, certainly not If you are even remotely related to coffee. Walk the twenty paces.

Our afternoon visit to The Highland Coffee Roastery was a highlight of my wife's first visit to Clarens. May it be yours too.

1  Thank 3pakx7
Chris P, Owner at Highland Coffee Roastery, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Hi 3pakx7! Hahaaa!
I just loved your review, and of course this time you are still clear in my memory! My wife Sigal heard all about your visit to the roastery when I got home, and she also couldn't remember you... ;-)
Try not to leave it so long until your next visit to Clarens, and I'll try harder to remember you for the next time!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Slightly off the beaten track, but with stunning views and the BEST COFFEE, croissants and muffins in Clarens!

Hi Myse! Thanks for your comments - having once owned a bakery, I'm very fussy about my muffins and croissants, and we bake them fresh every day!