“What a WONDERFUL experience!”

and 1 more site!
Lake Clarens Guest House
Ranked #17 of 39 Clarens B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2013

In the last year I have added 65000kms to my odometer. In the course of my travels I have spent many nights in various hotels, guest-houses and B&B's throughout the country and can truly say that my stay at Lake Clarens Guest House ranks amongst the highlights of my many nights away from home!

I have stayed at this guest-house on numerous occasions and have experienced all the rooms that it has to offer; from the standard accommodation (Very good) to the more upmarket rooms which are very tastefully furnished. All the rooms are extremely comfortable; so much so that I tend to oversleep!

Once you have managed to escape from the embrace of the all to comfortable bedroom, you are met with the best view in Clarens. This panoramic vista is yours to savour while enjoying the finest breakfast that this charming town has to offer.

There is an attention to detail which is quite charming and the service is so good that one truly feels at home.

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert B
There are newer reviews for Lake Clarens Guest House

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in Lake Clarens Guest House recently - what a pleasant experience! The guest house is ideally situated with a beautiful view and within walking distance to the art galleries and shops. The adjoining restaurant, Artichoke, had some of the best Italian food that I ever tasted.The room was very convenient and neat and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! Karien Boonzaaier

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank KarienBoonz
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and sister in law (on holiday from Germany) stayed at the Lake Clarens guest house in October 2012.
We had booked the two bedroomed "cottage" since the 4 star B&B was fully booked.
My wife was first to enter the cottage and she immediately turned around and walked outside, and I could see by the look on her face that there was something wrong.
The cottage is a dump! We had been on a two week "road trip" around South Africa and we had stayed in excellent accommodation every night, but Lake Clarens guest house was not up to scratch. Please note that the town of Clarens is wonderful and well worth a long visit.
The back bedroom where my wife and I slept was dark and dingy. The bathroom was awful, with an exposed copper pipe coming down through the ceiling and feeding the hand basin.
My sister in law's bedroom door was so warped that she could not close it.
In the morning there was a substantial water leak across the floor of the "lounge".
The double entrance doors to the outside were falling apart and we battled to lock them. It was just about impossible to lock the Trelli sliding security door from the outside.
I have no idea what the B&B rooms are like.
The breakfast was OK, and while we were eating the owner Bruce Weyer walked in and said a pleasant good morning to us.
I immediately informed him about the poor condition of the cottage. He was very defensive and stated that my wife had been fully informed about the cottage when she booked. My wife denied this and confirmed that she had been expecting a 4 star cottage. Bruce disappeared and returned with a copy of the E Mail that he (or someone else) had sent to my wife. The E Mail stated that the cottage was "standard" accommodation, and in Bruce's opinion we were therefore fully informed of the condition of the rooms.
We definitely did not agree with this and went through the list of complaints. We would not have stayed in the rooms for free in normal circumstances.
Bruce continued to deny that we had been misled and I left to pack up. My wife joined me a few minutes later and told me that she had been offered the cottage at no charge because we were so unhappy. She had accepted this, and we have discussed whether or not we should post a negative review on Tripadvisor. We have decided that potential customers for the cottage should be aware of the failings.
Bruce sent an E Mail to my wife shortly afterwards and stated that he would attend to the points drawn to his attention. He also stated “I sincerely hope that with not debitting you for accommodation is enough compensation for your discomfort.”

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mtunzini99
KirstyClarens, Owner at Lake Clarens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Please note that these photographs do not depict Lake Clarens Guest House which is 4-star rated.

On your web site a person gets the idea that these photo's are of LCGH.

We run two different establishments.

These images are of our standard Lakeside Flat and every problem a person sees on the web site have been attended to and it does not look like this anymore.

We were in the process of upgrading, I told the guests to rather find other accommodation
when I saw they were unhappy, but they then said it will be for one night only, it will be in order.

They should have rather gone to another establishment and we could have avoided all this unpleasentness.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I'm not sure why Prince Harry or Brad Pitt stayed here...maybe it's gone downhill since then or perhaps they chose badly too! According to Lonely Planet (and the brochure) all rooms have underfloor heating (there was no evidence of that...I had an old blow heater in my room), flowers (none in evidence) and luxury sheets (the bed was very ordinary). In fact I wondered if I'd arrived at the right place. No one to greet me on arrival either. The legendary owner merely shrugged when I didn't have any water coming out the taps in my room one morning: "must be frozen...can't do much about that" he said. And the lady who runs the place seems to shout at everyone, including her staff. I don't want to hear her shouting at the maid for reading the paper in the kitchen. All very unprofessional. Finally, the breakfast was poor too...the bacon was poor, the tomatoes were not cooked...it was all very unappetising.

Room Tip: I was in Room 3, which seemed like a good location if you do stay here...upstairs and facing the &qu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank KevinMillington
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This venue is overpriced and needs some TLC. We unfortunately had the room adjoining the dining room and woke early to a heated argument between the owner and his partner (wife?) - apparently a regular occurrence. Very annoying, especially so early in the morning! The room was average, with nice small touches - snacks, good coffee, chocolates - to help in overlooking the general tiredness of the place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We had heard a lot about this place and its "local-legend" owner "Mr Clarens".

We were satisfied with our room and the service we received, the setting was nice and a short walk from the village.

Overall an ok stay, but not sure I'd choose it again if returning to the area (which is sensational - so we certainly would return!).

We had a lovely spot for breakfast outside, where we could watch the birds, which was lovely.

We actually stayed in Jan 2011.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

There was nobody available on arrival to show us our room, we had to walk around the property looking for someone to help us. The room we were assigned was not even part of the main house but an outhouse resembling a converted garage. Upon entering the room there was an overpowering smell of damp and mold. The bathroom is old and dirty with plumbing exposed and tiles missing. The shower is poor and water pressure non existent, with only two temperatures- scolding or freezing. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable and pillows and towels were stained. If this was my own house, I'd be embarrassed to have guests stay for free. Oh and what view of the lake?

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple