“Centrally situated in Clarens and perfect for business or quick visit”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clarens
Durban, South Africa
“Centrally situated in Clarens and perfect for business or quick visit”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

If you prefer the predictable quality of this hotel chain and are wanting to be centrally located in the heart of the little town of Clarens, then this is a great option...

The pool is small, but has magnificent views of the surrounding mountains and is a great area to sit and enjoy one of the hotel cocktails.

Clean, modern and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Firefox330

Thank you for your recent visit to Protea Hotel Clarens and for posting a review.

I am very pleased that you were able to absorb the picturesque views of the mountains that surround Clarens and enjoy one of our cocktails. Relaxation and time to reflect is very scarce and valuable. I hope you were able to take full advantage of the time and rejuvenate next to the pool.

Thank you for your comments about my TEAM, I know that they will be motivated by your positive comments.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards
Protea Hotel Clarens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you like standard, modern amenities, this is the best place to stay in Clarens. Modern hotel, so you know what to expect. Rooms are a decent size, but the bathroom is almost part of the room: The sink and shower is essentially next to your bed and the WC is in a separate room with a door. I mention this in the event you are sharing the room with someone.... Don't think there is a bathroom "with an extra door" as we usually get. Standard shampoo/ lotion etc. but no conditioner.
I really loved the quality of the sheets! I'm quite picky about sheets but these were lovely.
Great location - walking distance to many restaurants and galleries.
The breakfast was lovely, many choices, eggs made to order, many warm dishes to add to your eggs (sausages, potatoes, etc.) juices, breads and the like. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
At check-in there is a popcorn machine in the lobby and some juice, which is a cute touch for an afternoon snack. In the morning, there is coffee in the lobby.
My only complaint was that wifi hardly worked for the day and a half we were there. They were always saying that they are resetting - with no results. There is a parking attendant at all times and parking was right by the hotel door.
There were metal bars put up to stop the pigeons from living in the roof of the parking facility ---- really unnecessary! It is Africa - let the animals live!
Will stay here again when visiting Clarens.

Room Tip: Share rooms only with someone you know. No separate bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank NellanSF
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Nellan

Thank you for your wonderful review on the hotel.

We recently replaced our linens in all our rooms and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the quality. It’s great to hear when we get it right.

I am equally thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast offerings as well as the popcorn and coffee in the reception area.

I sincerely apologize for the wi-fi not working well during your stay, we have addressed this with our service provider. They have addressed this by ensuring both modems work properly and that the lines are monitored to ensure continuity of service.

We love the pigeons that visit the hotel, however, they from time to time create havoc and to minimize inconvenience to our GUESTS we have had no alternative but to move them from our parking area. We have elected not to install reflectors or other means of deflection as this will result in all the bird life moving away from Clarens. We have opted for the least intrusive way to relocate them.

I am sincerely grateful for your review and will be delighted to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kimberley, South Africa
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was our first stay in this hotel. It was really a nice surprise. Beautiful rooms, huge king size bed, lovely bathroom and shower. We had a mountain facing room so could enjoy the beautiful views. The hotel is very central so unless you are planning to visit the many attractions outside of Clarens, you can walk everywhere. We had breakfast daily, a super buffet.

Room Tip: I requested a mountain facing room with a balcony. That way you can enjoy the views from the comfort...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pam H

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Protea Hotel Clarens.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our king sized beds. More importantly, the views from the upgraded rooms are breathtaking and I am very pleased that you were able to take in their splendor. I am equally delighted to learn that you made use of the Adamo restaurant and enjoyed the offerings.

Thank you again for posting your review, I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Booked interleading rooms . We are a family with two teens.Unfortunately we booked on a busy weekend as it is school holidays and could only secure standard rooms. The rooms were comfortable and there was no noise in the morning. The service was excellent.The check in at reception was quick and efficient. We callled housekeeping twice , once for towels and the second time for an ironing board. On both occasions they responded very quickly.Our rooms were serviced well with proper replenishment of amenities. The locations of this hotel is excellent and a short walk away from the restaurants, galleries, shops and centre. I loved how conveniently situated the hotel was. There is a lovely fireplace next to the bar and I enjoyed having pre dinner drinks there. I did not have dinner at the hotel but noticed that it was very busy every night for dinner. Breakfast was ok but the wait for the omelettes was a bit too long and I gave up waiting in the queue. The hotel should look into this-during peak periods.Also I found it difficult getting toast as the queue for the egg station was blocking access to the toaster. I also found the configuration of the room a bit inconvenient as the shower, in the standard room, is in the room and not separated. This was difficult with my teens who needed some privacy. The next time I will also book a room with a view. This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful part of the world, but they need to pay attention to breakfast and make the interleading family rooms more family friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. If you need a bit of privacy, the standard rooms are not for you as the show...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Prithie

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your experience with us.

I am delighted to hear that my TEAM looked after you and addressed any requests you had with speed. I will most definitely make them aware that what they do does not go unnoticed and that you were pleased with our service offering.

I sincerely apologize that the room configuration was not to your liking, but I completely agree that the views offered from the upgraded rooms are an absolute must. Be sure to take advantage of the advance purchase offerings to secure a room with a view at the best available rate.

Thank you for your comments and constructive advice about our breakfast offering. We have implemented an “egg speciality” dish during busy periods to minimize the delays and offer additional value to our breakfast. I hope that you will visit us again soon and take the opportunity to enjoy one of these offerings.

Again, thank you for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend if the 18th July 2014. We booked 2 rooms. We stayed in the Superior Deluxe rooms. The rooms themselves were spacious and clean. Check in was quick and easy. Our stay was wonderful until we decided to watch the rugby and ear dinner at the hotel on the Saturday night. There was a packed lounge and bar area due to the rugby with only 1 staff member on duty to attend to the bar, room service and dining area. So if you wanted a drink at the bar and the staff member had been called away for room service you had to wait a few minutes to be served a drink. After complaining, 2 additional staff members were called to assist the busy bar area.

I was very disappointed in the female staff member behind the reception desk on Saturday night who couldn't even advise me if the dinner menu was a la carte or not. She had no interest at all and couldn't even be bothered to smile.

Dinner was a nightmare as we ordered simple sandwiches and a beef burger. It took 1 hour to bring, this after 2 requests for our meals. When the meals arrived, the roll was rick hard that you couldn't even cut through it and the ciabatta bread was also hard with no filling at all. It was disgusting to be served that in a so called 4 star establishment.

Unfortunately our bill was thrn incorrect as we had been charged for drinks which we hadn't consumed. We demanded our meals not be charged for as after complaining to the manager, he still didn't come back to us regarding our disgusting meals. Nor did he offer an apology or explanation.

I would stay here again for the accommodation and becausebi am a prokard member but i will not drink or eat anything there again. Lots of amazing eating establishments within walking distance of the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear SadieSteytler

Thank you for visiting Protea Hotel Clarens and your review of your recent stay with us.

How disappointing to learn that your experience with us was less than perfect. I am sincerely sorry that your dining experience with us was so disappointing and that STAFF did not attend to you with a sense of urgency.

We appreciate your visits to us, and I can assure you that should you visit us again, the restaurant will not disappoint.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to your next visit,

Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed July 19, 2014

great staff , nice rooms , good breakfast , central location brilliant walking everywhere settle once kind of Hotel! Modern and new. Had inter-leading family room .... only showers and no bath. Slightly inconvenient but other than that highly recommendable!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Travellingpete6

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Clarens.

What a lovely review. It is wonderful to know that you were able to take full advantage of our location and enjoy breakfast with us. Thank you for your comments about the STAFF, I know that they will be motivated by your comment and will keep up the service.

My apologies that the room configuration for the inter-leading room was less than what you were hoping for.

Again, thank you for your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The positives are that the staff are very accommodating and arranged a baby cot, baby bath. Beds are very comfortable and in room dining was good. Staff are very helpful, polite and friendly.

On the downside breakfast was not great, no nice pastries, didn't find the quality of the hot food very good, not very tasty and there was little variety. A big disappointment is that the inter leading family rooms only have showers, and no baths, which is very strange for one of the coldest places in South Africa. We had to bath baby in a small baby bath in the shower. We found the room poorly insulated against very cold weather (this week was absolutely freezing) and we woke up to a fridge of a room even though windows in bedrooms are double glazed. The bathroom venting wasted the double glazing effort and the hotel hallways were ICE COLD! In room Wi Fi does not work at all . Very poor reception

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear ZAExplorer

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the STAFF and their helpfulness.

I sincerely apologize that the room configuration was not to your liking and that you had a very cold room and passage experience. The inter-leading rooms have been a recent addition at the hotel and I fully understand the awkwardness of the in-room shower for families. I will escalate your comments and see if there is any potential to change the room configuration for future visitors.

Thank you for your review on your dining experience, I assure you that the Kitchen Brigade has been addressed and actions have been taken to ensure that our breakfast improves.

The hotel WiFi is on separate lines with 2 modems – we have contacted our service provider and they have been able to resolve the reception problem. My apologies that you were not able to take advantage of this service offering from the hotel during your stay.

Again, thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us,

I hope to welcome you back soon,