“Reliable option in Clarens”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clarens
London, United Kingdom
“Reliable option in Clarens”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am a prokard gold member and stayed for a weekend in may with my wife and son.

The hotel was very busy with a Bentley car launch group so there were no mountain view rooms available but the hotel were good enough to call me in advance and let me know.

The standard rooms are small and a little dark they also do not come with a fridge as standard although we managed to get one on request. The service was excellent and the mountain view rooms had fabulous balconies overlooking the small pool and terrace.

We ate in the restaurant both evenings and the food was very good and well priced, breakfast on the terrace was also lovely.

Room Tip: Book a mountain view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear p750777

Thank you for your review and positive feedback regarding your stay.

We aim to provide the best GUEST service and I am proud to hear that the TEAM notified you in advance regarding the lack of availability of the Mountain Facing rooms. On your next visit we will do our best to assist you with this where available.

Being able to relax at the hotel and eat in the restaurant with good quality food on offer is exactly what we want to achieve. I hope that you enjoyed the Prokard dining benefits at both of your dinners.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the picturesque village of Clarens.

Kind regards
Protea Hotel Clarens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The first impression of the hotel - centrally located, easily accessible and tastefully decorated with beautiful views of the mountains. Comfort is a standard we've come to get used to when staying at Protea Hotels, and PH Clarens didn't disappoint in this area.
However, since most restaurants were overflowing for lunch on Father's Day, we ordered room service and stayed in for a few hours. What a disappointment. Firstly, the pasta on the menu wasn't available to order (and it's not like it's a rarity?!). Secondly, when our food arrived - lamb stew - the rice was an overcooked dried ball - so much so, that I could hold most of it between my index-finger and thumb. The coffee was lukewarm and the parts of my starter was burnt.
Unfortunately for us, the parking lot was taken over by Jaguars (a club) the one night and by Harleys the next night and we had to park outside. The parking situation could've been better if the motorcycles were parked in spaces where passengers vehicles couldn't fit, instead of taking up all the parking bays - this could be managed better by staff in parking area.
Overall, not a bad experience, but the small things need improvement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Melinda J

Thank you for visiting Protea Hotel Clarens and posting your comments of your recent stay with us. Your feedback allows us to know what we are doing right, but more importantly, what we can improve on.

Your first impressions of the hotel are wonderful to hear! Our hotel aims to offer all GUESTS with comfortable accommodation in this breathtaking setting, so I am thrilled that we got full marks in this area.

I am sincerely sorry that your meal was less than superb. We strive to provide delicious meals to all our patrons and it is very disappointing to hear that we did not meet or even exceed your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be brought to the attention of my Kitchen Brigade and remedial action will be implemented to prevent a similar occurrence.

I can only apologise for the parking bays that were not managed in a more efficient manner. Although this does not rectify your experience, we will endeavour to ensure that that this does not happen again.

I hope to welcome you back to the picturesque town of Clarens again soon.

Berkshire
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed over for one night on my way south as I'd heard Clarens was a nice place to visit, and it was! The hotel is positioned just off the main park square so is very convenient for walking to shops, bars and eateries. It's also really close to the Golden Gate National Park which is lovely.

Its very modern and clean, and because of its location its very busy at the weekend. The room I was given had a nice view of the hills, and was well appointed. However I'd agree with previous comments that it isn't really much above something like the City Lodge I'd stayed in the previous week. My room had basin and a walk-in shower in the bedroom, with a seperate toilet, all nicely done but not to everyones taste.

Breakfast and the service was no better than average, so although you are obviously paying for the location I'm not sure they're try hard enough. Not a BAD exoerience though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Grahampm

We appreciate your valuable feedback and comments posted on TripAdvisor.

Being located so near to the local shops, eateries and Golden Gate National Park is definitely beneficial to GUESTS that stay with us. Not to mention the spectacular views of the mountains.

I am sorry that you were not blown away by our hotel and that the bedroom set up was not your taste. We strive to not only meet, but exceed GUEST expectations and it is disappointing that this was not the case for you. I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the TEAM so that we continue to search for excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our clean and modern hotel when you next visit the Midlands.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked in to the Protea Hotel Clarens after a wonderful day spent at Afriski and were welcomed by Theo, who went out of his way to accommodate our requests. Our room overlooked the mountain which was a breathtaking view!!! We ate dinner in the hotel as it was very cold and we had the most delicious meal around the fire in the dining area which was welcoming and warm. Our room was very comfortable and clean. The only problem we had was that the airconditioner did not warm the room sufficiently and we found it warmer with it switched off. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, great coffee with wonderful staff who were very attentive. This was our 2nd stay at the Hotel and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountains and you won't be dissappointed!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hilganz

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent return visit to Protea Hotel Clarens.

Mount Horeb is breathtaking, and I am very glad that you were able to take full advantage of the spectacular view from the comfort of your room.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the air-conditioner did not sufficiently warm the room for you. I will make sure to have my maintenance TEAM correct the problem.

Spending a wintery night with wholesome food by the fire is really special and Protea Hotel Clarens is perfect for that.

Thank you for your compliments regarding my TEAM and the personal service they provided. I will congratulate them all and give a special mention to Theo.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the “Jewel of the Eastern Free State” in the very near future.

Pretoria
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked initially for 2 week nights, but extended for a third - which was a seamless experience. Breakfast was lovely - good food/service, and the pastries were execellent! We did not use the room services, so I cannot comment - however they have attended very well to certain requests. The place is 5 min walk to the square where all the shops and galleries are. We did not have a balcony room - the room faced a "back street" - so we were not bothered by traffic noise - the main road to the town passes the entrance of the hotel. We stayed in a twin bed room - the toilet was a seperate room, the basin was "open" - part of the room - but the shower, altough spacious and very functionally was enclosed by a partition type of wall... no privacy when you step out of the shower. The hotel seems to be popular for business people - so the breakfast area can be overcrowded at a particiular time. Parking was under roof and security personnel oversee the parking area. Overall the place, decor/maintenance made a good impression.

Room Tip: Ask about the proximity of the room to the entrance/dining area, and the main road and whether it ha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear MIMSPretoria

What a pleasure it was reading your review and thank you for posting it on TripAdvisor.

The breakfast TEAM fully understands the importance of fuelling up for the day and they do their best to provide fresh and tasty treats for all. I can assure you that I will pass on your positive comments and special mention about the pastries.

Having the shops nearby is convenient and it is very safe for GUESTS to walk there, so parking the car in our secure under-cover parking is handy.

I am so pleased that you h ad a comfortable stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent a single night at this hotel recently and enjoyed the overall experience. The room was neat, clean and spacious. Staff were friendly, although somewhat slow to respond to requests. Room service was delicious although it took far too long to arrive. Overall, this hotel is a great oasis in the Free State province of South Africa and well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear SGStuart

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Clarens.

Your title really describes the peaceful environment that we provide and the STAFF does their best to ensure that attention to detail is a top priority. A clean, neat and comfortable hotel experience is definitely something we are proud to offer.

I will be looking in to the slow response times you mentioned as this is not in line with our usual standards.

We hope to welcome you back to the “Jewel of the Eastern Free State” soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

the hotels and rooms is very good and the location perfect. However, the breakfast is not up to standard and certainly not worth the price. Waiters can not cope with the workload during breakfast and are not trained properly. Will go back but will not use the hospitality services.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Clarens, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Elmarie K

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Clarens.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our location in this historical town of Clarens, and that the room was to your liking.

Your feedback is very valuable and will assist us in our search for excellence. We strive to provide the best GUEST service and I assure you that this is not the usual standard that we pride ourselves on.

My apologies for the lack of service you received at breakfast. I assure you that remedial action will be taken to ensure that this does not happen again and that other GUESTS are not inconvenienced or left disappointed in the same way. This however does not rectify the lack of service you received with us and, again, I extend my sincerest apologies to you.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly and ask you to contact me at gm@phclarens.co.za.