“Best restaurant in Clarens”

Clementines Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Clarens
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Warm, good food, no mess, no fuss. Large portions, extensive menu. You need to book if you want a table over the weekend.

1  Thank RossCart
Shelley T, Owner at Clementines Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Hi RossCart,

Thank you for you amazing review on our restaurant. My staff and I always try to make a Clementines experience a memorable one. We are really chuffed that we achieved that with you and that you enjoyed everything that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in our beautiful village.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went to the restaurant about 9 years ago with family and we had an amazing evening - food & atmosphere were brilliant. When my fiance and I were in Clarens last week, I mentioned that it's the place to go. Well, I now have very mixed feelings. Our waitress and Manager (think her name was Jackie) were great but gosh our mains were terrible. We both had a starter which were average. Mains were served on cold plates. I had "deboned" Trout with veggies - the trout was full of bones and the veggies were cold. My fiance has lamb chops with veggies - he only ate one chop and half his veggies. Our plates were taken away with no questions asked. As an owner of a coffee shop / restaurant, if plates come back to the kitchen with food on, I make it a point of finding out if there was a problem or not. The owner had already left and unfortunately when we got the bill, the poor manageress got a piece of my mind (it wasn't her fault though). Clementines is said to be a fine dining restaurant - definitely not!

1  Thank MonicasKZN

Hi MonicasKZN,

I am pleased that you enjoyed the atmosphere at Clementines, my staff and I try to make a Clementines experience a memorable one I am sorry that we didn't achieve that with you.

When I was chatting to you in the restaurant you mentioned that you were very unhappy with your accommodation in Clarens that you had booked for 2 nights at the last minute on your road trip. I really felt sorry for you and I went out of my way to source you alternative accommodation on a very busy weekend during the school holidays in Clarens for Friday evening. I then set about looking for you on Friday morning to let you know about the accommodation as I didn't have any contact details for you. I managed to find you on Friday in the village to tell you, you said that you had decided to leave Clarens early. So you did have an opportunity to say something about your dinner but didn't.

We definately don't serve food on cold plates as a rule, it was obvioulsy a mistake which could have been very easily recified if you had complained at the time. Our trout is bought deboned, so there may be one or two in the batch that are not a well deboned as the next one. It is impossible to see through the fish to see how many bones are in it. Again if you had said anything to Jackie she would have repaced the fish immediatly. I don't know what was wrong with your fiances lamb chops as you didn't say, but if he didn't enjoy them, you could have said something at the time.
We had a table of 4 people the same night that you were here (Thursday) that all ordered lamb chops and they loved them, they came back the next night.
Jackie said that while you were eating she asked you how your food was and you said all was good.

As coffee shop/restaurant owner I would have thought that you would understand the frustration of somebody that doesn't say anything at the time. Nobody wins, you leave angry and we don't get given an opportunity to fix anything.

Jackie said that you certainly didn't give her a piece of your mind, if you did she woud have called me back. She said you were very nice and asked if the chef had changed and that you said you could see as the food wasn't like it was the last time you -while you were paying. At no point did she think you were as unhappy as your review. She was shocked when she read it.

I wish I could say that we never make mistakes but we are all only human and mistakes happen no matter how hard we all try.There is very little that we can not rectify if given the opportunity.

I urge you next time to give the restaurant an oppertuntity of recifying what ever you are not happy with at the time.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

The food was excellent.The waiter/manager helped with food choices and was surprisingly honest, which we appreciated. We had the chicken roulade (my daughter said that this was deicious), the Cape Malay curry-perfect for a cold evening, and the duck which was done to perfection. The desserts were delightful and very well presented.The service was superb. Bookings are essential,especially weekends-I booked about three days before and they were already almost fully booked.The ambience transports one into a bygone era. All in all, a lovely experience and one which we would love to repeat.

1  Thank Prithie
Shelley T, Owner at Clementines Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Hi Prithie,

Thank you so much for your very positive review on our restaurant. We try our best to make a Clementines experience a memorable one. I remember you guys well you sat at the table next to the window on Saturday, I took your order and you guys were a pleasure to serve.

I am pleased that my recommendation with regards to your dinner was a success.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful village soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

After reading reviews we decided to pay them a visit and as per many tips on trip advisor we booked in advanced. The many has a large selection. Portions are big. Hubby had lamb shank and I ordered chicken pie. Excellent choices. We did not order steak as we had steak on menu for next 2 days. The plates that went past our table with curry, steak, pasta and oxtail all looked great. Will definitely go again. Thanks to reviewers for listing it as a top restaurant !

1  Thank Rita C

Hi Rita C,

Thank you for your amazing review that you wrote on our restaurant. My staff and I work tirelessly to try and make sure that an evening spent at Clementines is a memorable one. We are really pleased that you experienced that.

We look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful village in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved the amazing warm atmosphere, fantastic cuisine and excellent service! It was our first visit and our grandchildren just loved their food. The steak was soft and juicy served with avocado and brinjal

HI Lisa S,

Thank you for your amazing review of our restaurant. My staff and I are always really pleased when an evening spent with us is a memorable one.
Our Texas Fillet has been a huge hit, Camembert, Bacon and Avo. We are really thrilled that your grandchildren enjoyed it so much.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful village soon.