“Food is good. Manager is an idiot!!”

Monte Carlo Steak & Seafood
Ranked #30 of 75 Restaurants in Camrose
Cuisines: Canadian, Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Camrose, Canada
“Food is good. Manager is an idiot!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We live here and will never return. The woman that manages this place is so rude she shouldn't be allowed in public. It is brutal. Hope it goes broke!!!

Seattle, Washington
“Great food...service, not so much.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went out of our way to try this after reading rave reviews. It's a very unassuming storefront in a small strip mall, so much so that we thought it might be closed. We were greeted and seated by a very nice waitperson. There were just a few other diners, but that quickly changed. As the tables filled up around us, we got the definite feeling that we had been forgotten, as we only saw the initial waitperson. It was probably about 10-15 minutes before we were acknowledged again, and finally ordered our meal. I can't really complain about the food. I had a curried chicken dish and my husband had a steak. It really was quite good, but our frustration level was so elevated by this point (could be due to the toddler endlessly banging keys on his high chair), that we wolfed it down and went on our way.

We would be hard pressed to return, but the chances of that were slim anyway since we were on a road trip.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank grollett
Edmonton, Canada
“Fell far short of Its reputation”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We made our way to this Camrose restaurant after checking out reviews here on TA. Sadly, we cannot concur with previous positive reviews.

We arrived without a reservation towards the end of the evening. The restaurant was bustling with servers and customers.
We were seated with a glass of water and the promise that our server would be along shortly.

After about 20 minutes, I approached the hostess and asked if anyone was coming to serve us. A chatty waitress rushed over.

She took our order assuring us that our food would arrive quickly. Sigh. This was not the case. For all her promises, she did not deliver.

Our waitress was very affable and hard-working, but very disorganized. A salad was brought to the table with no explanation. We did not know which of us that it was for. So, we shared it while awaiting my husband's prime rib special.

After another 20 minutes, I flagged the hostess down again. Oddly, our food showed up moments after she went back to the kitchen.

My husband was very pleased with his beef (the chef gave him a larger piece to make up for the wait). But my Caesar salad was warm and limp. Tasty, but I want crisp, cool lettuce. I had a better Caesar the night before at a dumpy burger joint in another city.

No one offered to bring more hot water for my tea, nor was there any offer to fill our water glasses. It was as if they could hardly wait to see us leave, even though it was not close to closing time.

We liked the atmosphere, and other folks seemed to be leaving as happy customers. So, perhaps it was an anomaly.

The staff was very pleasant and solicitous. However, we felt like an after thought, in that we were given thought only after I complained about the lack of service.

I would give this place a second chance.

1 Thank Sheree Z
Victoria, Canada
“Great Food & Friendly Staff”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

staff was very friendly and the meal didn't look like it was pre-prepared long time ago. I had veal cutlet and it tasted amazing! Can't remember exactly what soup I had but it was really good! I think the price is very reasonable and I recommend this place to anyone looking for a good dinner experience in Camrose, AB!

• Visited July 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprise”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Went for dinner last night and it was our first time eating there. We pulled up and we thought it was going to be a dive from the outside appearance. We went in and were surprised that it looked more approachable on the inside. Needs a cosmetic update. Our waiter was great and the food was good. We will be going back again :)

1 Thank Nikki G