We stayed here because of a medical emergency in the family. To get into a room like these when you are tired, and stressed was heaven. They are clean, spacious, nd the staff great.
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
We were upgraded to a Jacuzzi room for free because the hotel was full - which was very nice of the hotel.
The room we were upgraded too was quite large and had a nice fireplace. The bed was quite hard and the Jacuzzi tub is quite small compared to other Jacuzzi rooms I have stayed in.
The room was very clean and the staff that I encountered were very friendly. Perhaps maybe have two people working at the front desk during busy check in times?
The one thing that was really not good, there was no hot water in the AM. I am guessing this is because the hotel was full?
I would recommend this hotel to people with kids - there is a great slide and pool there and it is a very clean and central hotel.
I must say that I have stayed at this motel and number of times, aswell has many of my family members and friends, who all commented on what a great Super 8 it was. I have stayed in a lot of hotel/motels and this was one of the cleanest and nicest places, with good staff and good rates. I would definately recommend this motel to anyone, and I do know a lot of people that stay there regularly with business...so check it out. And the water slide is awesome!!
Went to Camrose for my daughters graduation. Stayed in the room with my wife, my other daughter and my grand daughter. At night moved some furniture in the room so my grand daughter would not roll off her bed while sleeping and it was pretty disgusting underneath the piece of furniture we moved. Besides that we stayed for our two days and left. When we got back to Manitoba we realized we forgot a stuffed animal we had bought for our grand daughter. We asked our daughters boyfriend to go get it from the hotel and that is when it all started. The hotel told him to tell us to contact him. So we did.
My wife called and the hotel accused us of bringing head lice into the room. They burned the sheets & our stuffed toy. My god were we instantly disgusted and creeped out. We actually thought that we did have it for a second. The panic and grief it caused us can't be described in words. We went through all our belongings, inspected each other, went to the doctors to get some medical advice & help. The doctor shed some light on the topic for us that made us feel better. We did not have, nor could have brought headlice to that room because we would be infested with it. That made us feel instantly relieved but didn't do anything about the way the manager at the Super 8 made us feel.
My wife called her back to dispute her claim, then called two more times and left voice mail which went unanswered. This prompted us to put in a call to their customer care line. The customer care line is a joke too but that's another story. Basically it boiled down to their word against ours. The manager at the Super 8 told their customer care people that we actually called back and admitted to bringing it there. They also said they wrote us a letter and apologized for accussing us of bringing the lice there. Two lies just like that.
We are being persistent in our fight and want our money refunded and an apology. We received an apology from customer care and an offer of $75 but we refused it. To me that tells me they are guilty and have screwed up and just want us to shut up.
My advise to you is not to stay there until every room is inspected by a board of safety & health. Not saying there weren't bugs of some sort but it certainly wasn't lice and we certainly didn't bring it there.......not when there were so many dead bugs under that furniture we moved on our first night.