“Rainy day with Jonti”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rainy day with Jonti”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a wonderful experience cooking with Jonti. Our trip to Tuscany in June 2013 was sadly cold and rainy. But a highlight of the trip was the cooking day we spent with Jonti. It was supposed to be a class but by the time the wine was poured and the cooking and eating were on the day had passed and it was 6 pm. She even involved my 5 year old daughter in the cooking class.

We also had her back to our villa rental to cook for us one night which was also wonderful. Loads of great tips about the surrounding area and also helped explain much of what we were seeing or couldnt find in the grocery stores.

I would love to come back and stay at Jonti's place and do some more cooking. Great experience and she is so warm and friendly.

Visited June 2013

Sydney
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Cooking, eating, drinking, relaxing in Tuscany”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

What a great week we had cooking with Jonti in a wonderful Tuscan location early this year. From our first night we felt at home with Jonti and her family. We had a sumptuous welcome dinner on arrival and really relaxed into the place - everyone there was friendly and welcoming. Each day of the cooking course Jonti provided a wealth of information for us and lots of hands-on experience. Making pasta was a real highlight, as was the seafood cookery master class. The villa itself is a real gem - beautiful gardens and grounds and a superb new pool to dip your toes in or to jump in at any time! We also did some day trips which were extra special - great to have some local tips to avoid the masses (especially when we went to nearby Cortona). I can recommend a visit to this special place!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank CiaraB
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“"More Than a Cooking Class"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

On a recent 2 week trip to Italy my husband and I spent 5 nights in Tuscany. During this time I decided that I would like to take a cooking class and my husband agreed to accompany me (note: even though he enjoys cooking, a cooking class was not on the top of his list of things to do while in Tuscany). We, like most of the other “tourists”, had our travel guides and looked at the classes that were recommended. At the time, we were staying at a Bed & Breakfast, Casa Portagioia (another delight of the trip), and asked our hosts if they could recommend one of these courses. They told us to put the book away and that they would arrange for us to take a class with a local woman who holds them in her home. Since every recommendation that they had given us had been great we decided to let them make these arrangements for us. And we are so glad that we did for that is when we met Jonti.

We anticipated that we would spend a couple of hours during which time she would teach us how to make homemade pasta and probably some other Italian specialties. We arrived at her home (and as it turned out the class was just my husband and myself) about 3:15 in the afternoon and did not walk back out the door until 10:15 that night carrying a tray of Baked Peaches with Amaretto and some delightful almond biscuits. The class, itself, was wonderful. She showed us how to make Focaccia bread, two types of homemade pasta both of which were filled with local fresh ingredients, a delightful pasta sauce using fresh tomatoes, baked fennel and , of course, the delicious dessert. We made everything from scratch and she encourage you to participate as much or as little as you like. My husband’s time was devoted to drinking wine and taking copious notes…which we laughed about at the time but which have proven to be quite helpful now that we are home and trying to recreate some of the dishes. I, thoroughly enjoyed working in the kitchen with her. She was a great instructor, shared many cooking tips and was great at answering all of my questions. And when she says that she will show you how “less can be more”… this is truly the case. Her recipes are simple but delicious and filled with fresh and local ingredients….no vanilla extract for her cookies, instead you use a fresh vanilla bean …what a difference!
It does not take long to see her love of cooking and she really enjoys sharing this love with others. And while you will get a wonderful cooking class, you will get much more. The warmth, hospitably and conversation that we shared that evening was truly memorable … a true Italian meal! So, if you are considering a cooking class in Italy…this is the one. While we only attend the one session; she also offers a full week program which I am sure will be just as delightful.

Visited September 2013