“Our favourite holiday destination”
Review of Casa Portagioia

Casa Portagioia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have visited Casa Portagioia 7 times over the last eight years and each time we are just as in love with the place as the first time. Terry and Marcello are the perfect hosts always making you very welcome and going out of their way to make your stay as perfect as possible. The rooms are fantastic, the setting is wonderful waking up to beautiful views. Food is fantastic especially the dinner cooked by Marcello.My only worry is that too many people wiil go there and there won't be room for me! We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic.
3  Thank swiestowski

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed there in 2005 before all these wonderful recognitions (this site doesn't let me "click" back that far so to be clear, the trip was 2005, the review is 2012). We had come from 5 star hotels and high energy in Venice and Florence and the service and food by Terri and Marcello was at least as good. And the relaxing environment, sigh. We have tried to emulate some of it in our own home in Florida. We so want to go back; it was an experience of a lifetime and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank larrydsmith
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Me and my husband stayed in Casa Portagioia for 3 nights in July. It was such a great experience and both of us wish we could stay longer! One extra day hanging out by the pool with homemade dinner would be great!
I was a bit worried about having too high an expectation after reading all the outstanding reviews: Would I be disappointed when I get there? NO - Everything I read about is 100% true and the overall experience is above my expectation and beyond my imagination! Since my husband did not read any review, he was completed wowed by the place (I did not prep him...).
As I walked up to the door from the parking lot, I could smell the lavenders with little bit of roses. The smell was so pretty and relaxing! It was so wonderful and I wish I could pack them home, too! We met Terry first. Terry is funny and very friendly. Most reviewers talked about Marcello... It is not fair to Terry! (Are you laughing, Terry?) Terry made me great Latte in the morning and gave us great advices about buying wine! Of course, we love Marcello. Besides the egg breakfast he made for us, I also love the map of Cortona he drew for us. Marcello gave us directions of where to go in the morning! We had a wonderful 3 days around there.
The location is very good if you want to explore Tuscany. You can check out their website and research where you like to visit.
By the way, the shower gel from the white company smells so good!
I hope I am lucky enough to have another chance of going back in the near future!
Karen/Steve from Seattle

3  Thank Paychi G
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and i recently spent twelve days in Europe including Paris and Venice (two of our favorite cities in the world) but the highlight of our trip was our two nights at Casa Portagioia! From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty by the two amazing host/owners of this incredible property, Terry and Marcello. The property is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful including the gardens, the breakfast area and the gorgeous pool. Our room was spotless, beautifully appointed, large and comfortably cool on warm July days! The bathroom was also lovely and we loved the robes and slippers!! Breakfasts here are wonderful, cappuccino and eggs made to order followed by delicious fruit and fresh pastries... delicious!!! Terry and Marcello arranged for us to take a memorable Tuscan cooking class with a lovely British neighbor which was a wonderful addition to our trip! We also loved our trip to Cortona and enjoyed two wonderful dinners in the nearby town of Castiglione Fiorentino (less than 10 minutes away). We only wish we had stayed at Casa Portagioia on a Tuesday or Saturday night when we heard that Marcello cooks amazing dinners for the guests! We are looking forward to our next trip to this incredible "hidden gem" in Southern Tuscany! This truly was the highlight of our anniversary trip where we had stayed in four and five star hotels in Paris and Venice but they did not compare to the accommodations, the beauty and warmth of this wonderful establishment! We will be back, soon I hope!

6  Thank martylosangeles
Reviewed July 26, 2012

After 40 days in Europe I stayed at Casa Portagioia, Bed and Breakfast and it was my favorite place to stay. I only stayed for 2 nights but now wish I had stayed longer. I did get to see so much in those 2 days though thanks to Marcello and his fantastic hand drawn maps of where to go and what to see. It was a fantastic location to explore more of Tuscany but also the room and surroundings were beautiful and I felt like I was in paradise. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had everything I needed and more. I never felt alone although I traveled alone due to the great service and hospitality provided by Terry and Marcello. They are amazing and the Tuscan equivalent to the best 5 star hotels with extra personal service. I wish to return one day in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Sharmaine H
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Of our 15 days in Italy, the 3 spent at Casa Portagioia were some of our most memorable. Marcello and Terry are incredible hosts. From the beginning of our stay we didn't feel like customers, we felt like family. The eggs cooked to order every morning and a beautful breakfast spread are just the tip of the iceberg. Marcello made reservations for us at an AMAZING restaurant! It was so good we went back there the next night! We went to Rome, Florence, Venice, and the Amalfi Coast. But this restaurant was our BEST Italian food experience.

They're incredibly helpful with recommendations as well. Marcello's map making skills are the best! He gave us restaurant and gelato recommendations for our day trip to Cortona and sightseeing recommendations (he tells you about places you won't find in your travel books). What you'll love about staying here is that you're about 20 minutes from Cortona and 45 minutes to Sienna. So you can spend the day there and then come back and relax at the beautiful pool while watching the sun set over the Tuscan Countryside.

We finished off our stay with Marcello's 3-4 course meal with the rest of the guests. This was a blast! And you get the opportunity to order one of their own bottles of wine! What I also loved was the fact their prices are so reasonable. They leave a refrigerator full of goodies and wine in your room and it's not expensive. A hotel would have easily charged double for the snacks and drinks.

They're incredible and even had our laundry done for a nominal fee. We are already in negotiations/discussions with some other couples to rent out the entire place next summer!

Room Tip: See if you can book one of the apartments! They're great!
3  Thank Justin K
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had a wonderful 3 day stay at Casa Portagioia, with beautiful gardens and a wonderful pool to relax by and cool off on a hot Tuscan day. Marcelo our host was just gorgeous and truly looked after us, his cooked breakfast was great and nothing was a problem and he always took time to have a chat. If you want somewhere to truly relax "Under the Tuscan Sun" you won't be disappointed with Casa Portagioia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Castello delle Serre
Castello delle Serre
#1 of 8 in Serre di Rapolano
Al Giardino degli Etruschi

Been to Casa Portagioia? Share your experiences!