Very well-appointed B&B (or self-catered apartments) situated between Cortona and Arezzo, adjacent to the charming and somewhat sleepy hilltop town of Castiglion Fiorentino.
The place is set out in a small valley filled with olive groves and vineyards, surrounded by lush hills...very quiet, beautiful and a bit removed. You could want for nothing during your stay here, Terry and Marcello have thought of everything. The accommodations have been extremely well considered, and the travel advice offered by Terry really added to our experience. Marcello cooks for the guests a couple of nights a week - not to be missed, we had a fabulous dinner of perfectly prepared regional dishes while we were there.
From this base, we were able to drive to various Tuscan towns (a lot of fun, really!), many of which are approximately an hour or less away by car. And you will need a car; there is a train station in Castiglion Fiorentino with trains heading toward Florence or Rome, but you would still need to drive to the station as it's a bit too far to walk. We rented a car from Avis in Arezzo (through AutoEurope, via the Casa Portagioia website) which was much easier for us than the Rome or Florence airports.
It is worthwhile to note that on Sundays or Mondays in areas like this...outside of the cities...stores, gas stations (though some are open as automated self-serve, i.e., you can still get gas) and restaurants tend to be closed or at reduced hours so you must plan accordingly...it really can be very quiet locally, especially on those days.
In any case, I cannot recommend Casa Portagioia highly enough, especially if you are looking for a peaceful Tuscan vacation away from the rampant tourism of the cities. It was like our home while we were there. I've stayed in many nice hotels in many places, but Casa Portagioia is really unique and special and represents a tremendous value for what is offered.
We miss Terry and Marcello already and have wonderful memories of our stay there. If you are at all considering this location to stay during your vacation, do it! It will easily be the highlight of your holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Portagioia - an elegant yet relaxed country retreat in Tuscany - somewhere between a country hotel and your best friend's home. A place where you can relax, take time to reflect on your travels and to be energized and enthused in to seeing more of the wonderful places Tuscany (& Umbria) have to offer. Always fresh and inviting. 5 Guest bedrooms and 2 suite apartments, all with luxury bathrooms and air-conditioning. Everything 'just so.' LAST MInute? Please visit our website or send an email for an immediate response. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Casa Portagioia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Portagioia, Bed And Breakfast Tuscany Hotel Castiglione Fiorentino
- Casa Portagioia, b&b Tuscany
- Casa Portagioia Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy - Tuscany