“Such a Shame!”

The Crown Inn Shorwell
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Shorwell
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Crown Inn is located in the small village of Shorwell, just 5 miles from the centre of the Isle of Wight's principal town of Newport. Shorwell, a countryside village in the southwest, is a pretty, quiet little hideaway – the Post Office is its only shop! Throughout Shorwell you'll find thatched cottages, three impressive manor houses and a historic church. Customers at the village's Crown Inn enjoy an authentic country atmosphere, a log fire in winter and a rear garden complete with a trout stream. It's a welcoming destination for outdoor types who voted it Best Pub For Walkers in a recent Wightlink survey along side being Cask Marque and Guinness Accredited. PLEASE NOTE: As of March 2017 The Crown Inn is under new management, please ignore older images and reviews.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This pub is picturesque but I'm afraid that is not everything. The menu is varied and interesting but..... if you want your dinner on a plate,... you need to ask.
We were served fish and chips in a metal basket on a wooden patter, usually easily managed, but the basket was quite high and if you put the minuscule amount of peas provided in a tiny pot on the wooden platter they escape through the hole in the wood. No worries, the fish was tasty and the patter etc make life interesting that is not my complaint....
No, what I seriously object to is paying for tap water! When we questioned this on our bill, we told we were apparently paying for the ice and slice of lemon which was supposed to be provided in the water of which there was no evidence. Looking around there were other dinners with water on their tables also without the lemon or ice...
I always thought you should be made aware you were paying something before you were charged for it. Where is the choice? The pub owners are assuming everybody wants ice and lemon and is prepared to pay for it!
We asked people that actually lived on the island if this was standard practice in other pubs and restaurants.... apparently not.... this seems to be the only pub which charges for water. Be warned, it's not much, pence in fact, it's the principle, when you have a couple of beers and a fairly expensive meal the least I expect is free water!.
A perfectly nice pub spoiled by petty charges.

1  Thank milesofsmilesr
Write a reviewReviews (532)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Sat outside in warm sunshine to eat lunch. My friend had the sirloin steak and enjoyed it. My husband liked his ham and eggs. I had the chicken, bacon and avocado salad with blue cheese dressing and chips as a side. I liked it all apart from the avocado, it was a strange runny green frothy substance that added nothing. The triple cooked chips were excellent
It's a pretty spot to sit, with a stream and take ducks, also play equipment outside for children

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Staying in Shorwell on holiday, we visited most evenings for a drink and twice to eat. A good selection of ales, well-kept wines and tasty food; and the service was excellent. A little bit pricey, but overall good value for money.

Reviewed September 13, 2019

My family and I visited this pub on several occasions during a recent stay in the IoW. The staff are very friendly and accommodating - we booked dinner one evening as a large group (15) and the service and quality of the food were excellent. We would most definitely return.

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Crown for a late lunch. We both had the Shank pie which was very tasty as were the freshly cooked vegetables. We chose to share an Eton Mess sundae which was delicious. The serving staff were very friendly and welcoming. If the weather had been better we would have eaten in the garden which was lovely.