“Relaxed and enjoyable”

The Crown Inn Shorwell
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Shorwell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Crown Inn is located in the small village of Shorwell, just 5 miles from the centre of the Isle of Wight's principal town of Newport. Shorwell, a countryside village in the southwest, is a pretty, quiet little hideaway – the Post Office is its only shop! Throughout Shorwell you'll find thatched cottages, three impressive manor houses and a historic church. Customers at the village's Crown Inn enjoy an authentic country atmosphere, a log fire in winter and a rear garden complete with a trout stream. It's a welcoming destination for outdoor types who voted it Best Pub For Walkers in a recent Wightlink survey. PLEASE NOTE: As of December 2016 The Crown Inn is under new ownership and management, please ignore older images and reviews.
Chigwell, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and enjoyable”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Nice range of dishes and well presented and cooked. One of our favourites when visiting the island. Standard menu is good and the specials board presents a wife choice. Good beer selection.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Terrible food & pub owner”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Long wait for food, poor quality food, not cooked to a reasonable standard, very expensive for what it is. Very rude lady (? owner). She needs to learn some manners, but obviously doesn't care about the pub or her service (judging by other reviews I've just read). They need to look into the quality of the food they're serving & adjust the price accordingly. I don't think the owner enjoys running the pub & should leave. Beautiful pub & garden and just needs new management. I notice they never comment on any of the reviews, so are not interested in making any improvement.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank Sue C
“Quite nice Sunday lunch ”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Happened across this place while we were out pottering one Sunday lunchtime. The staff weren't particularly welcoming or helpful (we watched one chap stand at the bar for a good 5 mins while being totally ignored by the waitresses and the woman we took to be the owner)
The food was very nice though, and plenty of it - but definitely not a cheap option!

1 Thank EmyRach
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting for a country pub”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a lovely setting for a country pub, right in the heart of the village, with a stream running through the garden, stocked with trout.

The pub is welcoming with log fires, and the food is typical traditional pub grub. We thought the food was reasonably priced for what it was, and it's always good to see Peroni and San Miguel on draught, but £2.50 for a large glass of lemonade is way over the top.

• Visited December 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
“Nice setting and grounds, but the rude/abrupt owner made us feelt un-welcome...”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had always heard good things about this pub but never been in ourselves. Finally had the opportunity today (08-12-13) on our way back from spending the morning at Brighstone Christmas tree festival, which was a great *free* morning :-).

We arrived about midday and there was plenty of parking, we walked across a footbridge over the stream and into the garden, kids (6 & 8yrs) loved the fish and ducks. We went in and walked around the bar, which is in the middle of the building, through seating areas in various rooms all around. At the opposite end of the building we found a nice room close to the bar an a welcoming open fire. We ordered coffee and hot chocolate from the barmaid and then the experience changed.

Sat on a table behind us were a man and a woman both watching us while looking over their newspapers. The woman then piped up "There's more space for the pram on the other side of the building". I was somewhat taken back and I didn't even respond. I couldn't believe that I was being told where I could sit... I don't know if it was because of the kids, the baby, suppose I'll never know. I was still trying to work out what authority this woman had to designate me a location when she said "menus are on the tables and the specials board is over there". I just looked at my wife and she looked back at me knowingly; we would no longer be eating here. The woman made a further comment "the radiators are all on and you'll be just as warm over there".

I would normally have just upped and left at this point but I was probably in shock. I felt like saying "who the hell are you to tell me I can't sit in front of the fire?". It soon became apparent that the woman was in fact the owner or manager as she then stood up said something to the barmaid and offered to carry my drinks over to our table!!! What a cheek!

We did glance over the menu and it all looked only slightly overpriced for a pub. A tenner for a pizza, eight-fifty for a burger, sixteen for a steak... Anyway, as we felt so un-welcome, and we were now sat in a cold dingy corner away from everyone else, we decided to go home for lunch.

Shame the nice location, garden, and outdoors kids play area is ruined by the management. We won't be going back there again.

• Visited December 2013