“Great language skills”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great language skills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family (mum, parents-in-law and partner) spent a lovely Sunday at the castle. This was much improved by the Volunteers' fantastic language skills and being able to give us an incredibly thorough tour in French! It was almost too in depth but this was almost certainly encouraged by my antique loving french father in law. The castle itself was nice, but the best bit was the lovely garden, and chickens nibbling at your feet in the outdoor cafe. A bit expensive (£10) but worth it to keep the institution alive.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The sort of place you could imagine living in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our second visit to Kellie - back after a gap of about 20 years. The castle has a lovely feel to it and the guides were very helpful. For us, the highlight was the walled garden. The scents were fantastic, the sort of place you could sit and relax and nevver want to leave. I can't imagine why someone invented that many varieties of rhubarb but clearly it flourishes at Kellie.

We had lunch first in the cafe - home made soup and delicious freshly prepared sandwiches. The staff were lovely and friendly.

This is a rare undervisited NTS castle that is worth making a detour for.

Lanark, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not Williamt586”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Did not mean to click that the review by williamt586 was useful so thought I would have my tuppence worth about Kellie Castle instead.
Wonderful venue with beautiful gardens worth the visit on their own but the house and NTS staff made this one of my top visits for many years.

2 Thank AlfieC15
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The woodland walk & walled gardens are really relaxing and in May very colourful. We had tea and a cake in the cafe, very nice food and quick service. They use the fruit and veg from the walled garden to make dishes in the cafe, which is really nice link and you can buy some fruit & veg before you head home. The guides in the castle were not over bearing, but gave us a few interesting facts of each room. The castle itself is very good tourist attraction. Worth a visit!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ShunaG
Edinburgh
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great tearoom and offers gluten free things too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised in the tearoom that there were gluten free options available!! At other tearooms there are often no gluten free options so I have to hope for baked potatoes or packets of plan crisps. By contrast, the tearoom at Kellie Castle gave me a nice choice of various filled rolls. I chose the cheese and homemade pickle but there were less typical options too. It came with delicious roasted potatoes and side salad. It was scrumptious. I was thrilled. I'm going back soon. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Note that the menu section for rolls does not say GF rolls available. Gluten free was mentioned on the back of the menu at the bottom I think and so could easily be overlooked. I found out because I asked.

Visited April 2013