“High Tea at a Low Price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pittenweem Inn - CLOSED

Pittenweem Inn
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations
Description: 200year old former coaching inn recently refurbished to a high standard serving fresh local produceserving lunch and dinner high tea served on a saturday and sunday private parties catered forlarge outside heated terrace children welcome fully licensed bar2 course lunch £8.95
Paisley
“High Tea at a Low Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Often in the area and wanting to sample the Pittenweem Inn for some time,myself and partner ventured over for the High Tea after induring the high winds found ourselfs in a fresh and warm atmosphere and a really friendly greeting by the Chef and owner Brian and his wife.

We were taken to our table and given the menu by the very friendly waitress who took our drinks order and gave us ample time to pick our main.I choose the Scampi and Chips and my partner the Haddock with Chips,the plates arrived piping hot and piled high with fresh veg and a rack of toast and coffee.Everything was cooked to perfection,light and crispy and full of freshness.It is the best Scampi Ive ever had but after tasting the Haddock and admiting to being fussy about Fish I will definetly be returning for the Haddock alone thick,porcelean white and not a bone or bit of skin in sight,just heavenly and the flavour wow!

I had to venture to the ladies which was spotless and freshly decorated,on my return was excited by the view a two tier cake stand full of delights and two of each.I wish I could say which one was my favourite but I keep changing my mind lol.There was a freshly baked fruit scone,still warm and fresh fruity strawberry jam,mini meringue with fresh cream and yes chewy and soft,lemon sponge which was moist and packed with lemon flavour and finally a slice of chocolate salted caramel tart in which was just salty,gooey,crunchy heaven.Well now you know how I could not pick a favourite.
Now did I mention what this costs I could hardly believe it £12.95 each.Ive paid more for the tea and cakes alone from well not an establishment as refined and welcoming as here.Staff were attentive but not over bearing and nothing was a problem.I cant wait to get back,the lunch menu is starting soon I noticed,but oh that plate of delights is shouting!.This is a must place to try and remember go Hungry the portions are Large.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Laura1210Paisley
PittenweemInn, Manager at Pittenweem Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Many thanks for your review of Pittenweem Inn. So pleased you enjoyed the food and the staff service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“So, So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a reasonable lunch, not startling but certainly of a good average standard. We felt the place lacked a touch of atmosphere but maybe that was just us. There is not much choice in Pittenweem these days, so thought we would give it a try as normally venture up to St Andrews for our lunches. Would not rush back and felt it was a bit toppy on cost for a quick lunch.

Overall not too bad but think we will stick to St Andrews.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter H
PittenweemInn, General Manager at Pittenweem Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hi Peter H

thank your for taking the time to review your recent visit
I was a little disappointed that you felt we were pricey and you wouldn't return

We think £8.95 for 2 and £10.95 for 3 courses of freshly prepared food with home-made bread and quality butter in our clean and modern surroundings is far from expensive, but we cant please everyone
thanks again

scotland
“Lovely lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had a lovely lunch at an affordable price at The Pitenweem Inn. We could not fault the food and it was nicely presented. The 'bridies' and fishcakes were memorable! The Inn has been tastefully decorated in muted colours and is fresh and welcoming. The only downside was that we were the only people dining. This did not matter to us as we were a family party but might if you were there as a couple. This restaurant deserves to be known as 'a good place to eat'.
Perhaps better sign posting from the main road?

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank twitcher36
Hi twitcher36

thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit
we are so glad that you had a positive experience and you thoroughly enjoyed our set lunch offer

look forward to welcoming you back in the future

UK
“good but a bit disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

we've eaten at the Pittenweem a few times before and thought it was excellent however I was a bit disappointed when we returned recently. I wasn't that impressed with the limited choice of dishes on the menu. I opted for fillet steak which I had with a pepper sauce - steak was lovely but the sauce was very watery and not very peppery! Would be nice to get home made chips rather than frozen. The restaurant was very busy and service a wee bit slow.

Hi ecosse

thank you for taking the time to review us
I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet our previous high standards
I have spoken to chef regarding your watery sauce and I'm sure if you had mentioned it on the night in question it would have been sorted immediately please accept his apologies

the main menu has been streamlined over the last 18 months and with the addition of our weekly market menu giving us a total of 9 starters 12 main courses and 5/6 desserts as well as our excellent home made bread
all of this is produced fresh in our kitchen by our professional team
with the exception of the chips, this is something we are looking at for the forthcoming year

we looked forward to welcoming you back to the Pittenweem Inn in the future
once again thank you

best regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food in a lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We visited on a Saturday evening after booking about an hour earlier.

The restaurant is far removed from its predecessor the Anchor Inn. The current owners have improved it beyond recognition.

The staff were friendly and welcoming. The surroundings were clean and contemporary with the furnishings being to a lovely standard.

The food was FABULOUS, the black pudding, carot and lentil sop and the curried prawns were gorgeous and portion sizes were good.

The main courses were out of this world. All fish courses we got were boneless and exceptionally tasty.. My sons macaroni cheese 'cheesy!!!!'..

There wasnt a morsel left on anyones plates, a very rare occurence..

Thank you for a lovely meal and the service w efficient and friendly, we will be back .

For anyone worried, it is sooooo far removed from the Anchor Inn, please give it a try you will not be disappointed...

1 Thank Scotland2011
PittenweemInn, Owner at Pittenweem Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hi Scotland2011

thank you for your kind words , we are so glad you enjoyed your first visit to the New Pittenweem Inn and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future