“Coron Town and Nuovo Hotel Michaelangelo”
Review of Coron

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Melbourne, Australia
2 helpful votes
“Coron Town and Nuovo Hotel Michaelangelo”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

* Coron Town:
I recently traveled to Coron for the main purpose of travelling to the surrounding islands for snorkeling and kayaking.

Coron Town itself is a quaint little town with not much to do, but the surrounding islands are simply amazing.

Be aware that the island runs on a generator for electricity.
At the time I went there (Feb 2011), electricity was only between 6pm and 8am, however between midnight and 6am it ran in 2hr intervals (ie 2hrs on, 2hrs off) which made sleeping through the night an unpleasant experience.

Getting around is easy and cheap with tricycles everywhere and a standard trip of 10PHP per person.

* Restaurants:
Menu was limited before 6pm as there is no electricity so restaurants rely on gas and ice.
By far, La Sirenetta's was the best restaurant in Coron Town. The staff were super friendly, the prices were quite reasonable (average 220PHP). The food is pretty good, especially the pizza.
The best thing about the restaurant is the atmosphere. Its located right on the water edge with a nice breeze to you cool. Just bring some mosquito repellent.

* Nuovo Hotel Michealangelo:
During our stay in Coron Town, we stayed at Nuovo Hotel Michaelangelo. For the price and considering there are no 5 star hotels on the island, the place was clean with decent amenities like Air Conditioning and WiFi (when there is electricity that is).
The owner is an Italian fellow. A little quirky but generally a nice guy.
Staff are pretty friendly as well.

Overall, Coron is definitely a must see, however just don't expect too much. You're there for the day trips not the accommodation.

2 Thank Chowiiee
Quezon City, Philippines
8 helpful votes
“Coron Palawan Philippines”
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Me and 2 other girl friends went to Coron, Busuanga, Palawan last Jan 29 to Feb 1. We got a promo fare from Airphil express for P1,500 roundtrip Manila to Busuanga. (still quite expensive. u can get it cheaper if there's piso fare in cebu pac, etc.) I didn't like the plane of Airphil that much & the turbulence was really bad.

From Busuanga airport to Coron Town proper, we arranged a Van service while in Manila with Mr. Mike Tonnel (09292138920). Only P150/ person one way. We also asked him to drive us back to the airport on our last day.

We booked at Coron Village lodge for 3 nights but the room they gave us was an old room with sharing bathroom. So we transfered to Rags to Riches the next day, which is near Coron Village. The room was a lot better but the bed wasn't that nice. All in all, we spent P1,250 each for the rooms 4 days 3 nights since we got 1 room with extra bed.

We arranged a tour with Ms. Riza Almerida from Wow Coron Travel & tours on our 2nd & 3rd day. It is best to have a group of at least 5 so that the rooms & tours will be cheaper. we were only 3 so she got some people to join our group to lessen the expenses.

DAY 1 (we made our own itenerary)
11:45 arrived at Coron Village Lodge

12:30 Lunch at Kawayanan Grill (you can go there via tricycle which is P8/ person)

Tour around Coron Public market & souvenir shops

3:45 ride a tricycle to Mt. Tapyas (724 steps). Overlooking whole coron island. You can make arrangements with the tricycle driver so he will just charge you P300 going to Mt. Tapyas, Maquinit hotspring & back to your hotel.

4:00 Best time to climg Mt. Tapyas. 5pm is still ok if u wanna see the sun set.

530pm Ride a tricycle to Maquinit hot spring. (entrance fee of P100 each). You can bring food & drinks & have dinner there. Swimming clothes for the hot spring.

730pm Back to the hotel

DAY 2 Coron Island tour 830 am to 530pm

P750 per person if group of 5. If less than 5, it will be divided among the people in the group. we paid P900 coz we were only 4. Food was really good! Snorkeling set, vest & googles included. Entrance fees included. Don't forget rash guard, long shorts & wet shoes to protect your skin from the corals.

Twin Peaks- snorkeling (very deep)

Kayangan Lake- overlooking, swimming (very deep), climb up & down the mountain

Banol beach- swimming & we had our lunch there

Skeleton wreck- really nice snorkeling place. there are parts that are not so deep.

Twin Lagoon- swimming

DAY 3 Banana Island & Malcapuya Island 8am to 5pm

P1,200 per person if group of 5. Food, snorkeling set, vest included.

Banana Island- swimming, snorkeling, we had our lunch there.
Malcapuya Island- swimming, picture taking, very nice sceneries.

DAY 4 Market
We just went to the market to buy pasalubong. The crabs were very cheap. we also bought souvenir shirts, dried fish, dilis, lamayo fish, dangit, etc.

Back to the hotel. Mr. mike picked us up. Back to the airport. ;-)

8 Thank pritziarce
Sydney, Australia
12 helpful votes
“Disappointing Coron Town”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My family and I chose Palawan as people reviewed it to be beautiful, pristine.My husband and I are divers but travelled with our 3 and nearly 2 year old boys, so couldn't really do a lot of that, we did a shore dive from Club Paradise, which was ok. We stayed in El rio y Mar, Coron Gateway hotel and Hibiscus garden hotel
( puerto princessa), all of which I have written my review. We ate at Kawayanan grill, restaurant at Coron gateway hotel and Ka lui, again I've written reviews.
Oh my God!! Coron town is a shanty town full of sari-sari stores and tricycles. The town is dirty, but that's probably typical of the Phillipines, random bottles, plastic bags and other rubbish floating in the water where people are not bothered by it. The Videoke, goes on all night with the volume on high, I guess because it scores you higher when you're louder. The very large Xmas tree next to Coron Gateway hotel blared songs , I don't know why exactly but they probably thought people would just spontaneously dance and have a party.
I felt like I was being conned left right and centre. I can not bargain, and to haggle for a few dollars I find exhausting, but I suppose other travellers need the spare dollar. Travelling in larger groups, which is what the Filipinos seem to do, can make boat rides cheaper, like if boat fare is divided by at least 6 people.
If I was a younger backpacker, I wouldn't have minded. With a family, its better to pay the higher price and stay in the resorts in one of the islands, but take the all inclusive packages. At least, there is a beach to go to. Next time, if there is a next time, Boracay will be our destination.

1 Thank drdonski
Quezon City, Philippines
2 helpful votes
“A place I would like to come back to.. A gem!”
Reviewed November 20, 2010

This is one of the most magnificent places in the Philippines.

I visited Coron in November of 2010 and just fell in love with it. The people were very courteous and are always willing to lend a helping hand. Everybody was very warm and caring from the boatmen, the tricycle drivers, the restaurant servers, and the hotel staff.

If you like the beach, the sun and the outdoors you should not miss a trip in this small town. Island hopping is the main attraction here with rock formations and marine sanctuaries. Wreck diving is also a must!

It is just a quiet town and very few establishments are open till midnight. If your looking for nightlife this place is not for you. The only noise/music you would hear at the wee hours of night would be a few videoke bars which is also fun depending on how you look at it.

The only downside to the area would be the market prices of fish, vegetables and meat are a bit too pricey compared to other provinces of Palawan.

Over-all, I cannot wait to come back to Coron!

London, United Kingdom
2 helpful votes
“a must do wreck diving”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

if you are trying to do serious wreck diving in Coron, you need to find a good operator that can take you down penetrate the big wrecks.

not many can do this, usually if you end up in a big boat then you can only see the wreck from the outside. cheap offers usually lead you to disappointment especially for experience divers.

like most place in Phillipine we dont really like the local food. seem they dont really like to eat vegetables and meat dishes are served greasy. obviously they love hotdogs and burgers and you'll be able to find it in every corner.

Been to Coron? Share your experiences!