“Not so bad, but I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere”

KokosNuss Garden Resort
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I have to say that I am not particularly fussy about backpacker hotels or resorts. The only thing I wish was that I get a good deal for what I am paying for and that maybe I get a friendly welcome. I don't need a 5-star smile with a free welcome drink, just people who actually know how to treat you with respect.

The resort itself is outside of town. One could take a very cheap tricycle for only 9pesos or walk 10 minutes, which is nice to do in the province. It's no problem, but one could actually find cheaper rooms nearer to the town. Cheaper but with the same facilities. The food in the resort is very expensive. Being a FIlipino I know exactly how much reasonable rice meals should cost, and they charge alot for simple meals like pork adobo. Me and my fiancee ate most of our meals in town.

I also don't suggest to take the tours booked by the resort, they recommend you to take packed lunches. Unlike if you go to the town and meet some locals, they can hook you up with a cheap boat rental, we paid about 1,500pesos, good for 4 people, for the whole day. Plus we get to choose which spots to visit. IN addition to this, when I arranged to meet with the boatman before we left, we all went to the market, and bought some fresh fish, (a giant tuna for 160pesos!), some pork, soy sauce, vinegar, etc... for us to grill when we have lunch in one of the secluded beaches. It was great! We had a great Coron tour thanks to a lovely gentleman named Allan from a restaurant called Binalot TOng Daon.

The rooms itself were okay. We got a pricier room, about 1,880 pesos a night, because I jsut came form a fever and really wanted to a shower heater. Unfortunately, the heater was broken. THey were nice enough to offer that they heat me up some water in a pail. Tehre was airconditioning and a few cable channels. Not that you really watch tv in COron anyways. The rooms were clean and they had towels you could use. No soap though. Good thing we brought all our own toiletries.

The only part that upset me was the fact that there was only one staff member that handled all the work, so if she wasn't around, nobody else could help us. I wanted to cancel the tour that I booked with them because we found a tour outside instead which was cheaper, however since she had left, nobody knew if I could or couldn't. I suppose that one lady who handles all the business of the resort is always stressed, which meant that it wasn't always pleasant talking to her. IN fact she scared me a bit, because she seemed to be getting impatient when I was asking about the tours. It made me kind of feel bad to be asking so many questions. I'm not a nag, but of course, I just wnated to be sure I had enough money for everything.

We met a couple who actually stayed only for one night in Kokosnuss and moved to another resort that was cheaper, had better staff, and had the same facilities (plus soap! hehe), plus it was a bit closer to the town. Also part of the services of the new resort they stayed in was a FREE shuttle to the airport. We had to pay 150pesos per person each way. Maybe for foreigners this doesn't sound like much being that 1$ is worth 45pesos, but we're FIlipino budget travellers, so 150pesos per person each way can really dig into our pockets a bit.

I also found out that that couple we met were not aksed to send any cash advance for making a reservation. This upset me a bit, becasue they had informed me thru email that I have to send 3000pesos or they will cancel my reservation. I could only pay either thru bank transfer, PAYPAL (which always fails me!), or western union and I will have to shoulder the charges. I sent the the money which makes up about 3/4s if not more of the total room bill (we stayed a total of 2 nights only).

Our stay was fine, we slept well and we were out of the resort most of the time anyways. They have very cheap rooms for walk ins that just want a bunk to sleep in, but aside form that, there are plenty of places in and around town that you may visit instead.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ID50

Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband and I were travelling through the Philippines for our honeymoon and stayed at Kokosnuss based on a recommondation. We knew others who were also staying in Coron at the same time as us and they appeared to have better value accomodation with very similar amenities. Friends of ours were also staying at Kokosnuss and they had a broken toilet which did not appear to be of any urgency to the hotel staff. They ended up moving accomodation after one night. We discovered the following morning my husband and I had both been eaten alive by bed bugs!
The staff were unfriendly and dismissive and generally unhelpful. Based on other accomodation that we stayed in and friends accomodation it appeared to be overpriced and overrated.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo_w7
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We have visited the Philippines for several times but the Kokosnuss Garden Resort is definitely the best place to stay. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, nice paintings on the wall (we had air condition). The rooms were clean. It has a lovely big garden. The family-owned resort is a warm and lovely place to stay. Owners and staff was very friendly and helpful. The diving course was excellent. We could see beautiful beaches, little islands and the owners offered us a wide range of activities. The walk through the rainforest was fascinating. In the restaurant we were offered a wide range of food; it was excellent. We'll definitely come again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rinchen77
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We stayed there for five nights and had a very very nice room. I guess it was one of the nicest we had in the Philippines so far. Even though it is not the cheapest accommodation in town you get a good value for your money. The only disappointment for us was the manager (actually the manager's son). We had several bad happenings: we booked a hiking tour with one of the staff (she arranged it without asking the manager) and overcharged us, because her husband was guiding us two for the hike (she wanted 1500 PHP for a 2x20 minute tricycle ride and a guided hike for 3 hours in total). She sold the trip as a one day trip - we left at 6am and were back at the hotel at 10am! We contact the manager and he said it's too much and the 'normal' price was 850 and we can charge it on the room. When we payed the bill, he charged us 1000, saying the girl did not do anything wrong, mentioned a couple of other excuses and let it with this amount.
We also booked another room for two friends, arriving on our second day. The girls (from the restaurant/reception area) told us it's ok - they could stay in a fan room for the first night and transfer to an AC room afterwards. When the guys arrived in the evening, they told us a complete different story: AC first night and shared bathroom fan room afterwards. After asking again for the manager, he told us we should be more flexible if we travel in the Philippines and said that basically he has uneducated staff and we shall be glad to have a room at all because Coron was very busy at that time... We mentioned that we've been travelling quite some time there and he just responded that he has been living there for nine years.
So as mentioned before, the rooms are lovely but the rest is under Philippine average (in my opinion)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelgrau
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Simple nipa hut accomodation. Lovely and cool. Loved the sounds of the insects, lizards, cockerals, goats etc in the night. Rooms kept nice and clean and the food in the restaurant was very nice. If we hadn't booked beforehand, we would have preferred to have stayed at Seadive for location and sunsets and the staff were friendlier, however we booked 2 rooms and for £24 pound a night for the two relatively spacious rooms, we can't complain too much.

As I said earlier, the staff were not always too friendly and to be perfectly honest I was glad to see the back of them. There were so many, many more friendly faces on the walk to the market place and in the Seadive hotel.

The horse trecking is recommended at 400 pesos an hour. We were taken out by a lovely 14 year old boy, who was very informative.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank madtours
Reviewed March 20, 2008

My husband and I make it a point to spend a once-a-year vacation in any place that we fancy. And this year, after considering a trip to Thailand, we opted to spend a 5-day getaway trip to the only province so far that we haven't been to....Palawan! Being scared of the Abu Sayyaf....we decided to visit the northernmost tip of the island. After browsing through several resorts in the website, we settled for Kokosnuss Garden Resort. And yes, we were not disappointed by the sole review posted here because the same hospitality and courtesy of the staff and the owner has been extended to us. Our stay is beyond pleasant considering the remoteness of the island. All the comforts we can ask for in such a place has been well provided for by Kokosnuss. We took a package stay and this, as we may say, is the best way to spend a worry-free vacation. All our food has been prepared for us and in big proportions, this includes the barbecue in one of the islands we opted to spend lunch at. The tour itineraries were always on time and they were honest in advertising the beauty of the island hopping and Coron Island tours!!! Our room was always well-kept and cleaned. The girls (their staff) were very friendly and accommodating...as if you've known them all your life! We say thanks a lot to Liza, Dhang, Mary Ann, Thata and the rest of the girls. God bless you and hope this review will help you gather more and more patrons....which means you have to consider an expansion soon!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donivy
Reviewed January 15, 2008

After our luxurious honeymoon stay at Club Paradise whis is a private island at Coron, Palawan, we went to the city to experience the rural life and to see more hidden attractions of Coron. With the informative website they have and reasonable rates, we chose to book at Kokosnuss. It is owned and maintained by a German family. It is situated in the main road and at the foot of a mountain. We loved our villa so much, although it's just a standard aircon room, this is just what we expect since this is the adventure part of our honeymoon. I like the handpainted walls & ceilings, the huge comfort room and the transparent roof which you will experience natural daylight and see the stars at night even when you're inside your room. Our rooms are cleaned everyday, and we are comfortable to leave important stuffs at our room.
They have very big food servings, that's why me and my husband almost always just share 1 serving per meal, sometimes, since its included in our package, we have it packed when we go out for sightseeing.
The owners and staff are very helpful and very warm.
They have scheduled us a lot of activities like swimming at maquinit natural hotspring, island hopping, snorkeling at cayangan lake, the most clean lake in the phils., climbing up mt. tapias where you get the full view of Coron.
Overall our stay here is comfortable and enjoyable. We even thought of buying a property there in the future. It's a very wonderful place to see over and over again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple