“Don't loose money and time”
Review of Dive Cal

Dive Cal
Reviewed August 21, 2016

Divemaster: The divmasters seemed not to be trained for the job. They did not care much about the job they had. They just did dive the way forth and back. If any problems occurred, for example loss of air, they did not care. This caused an very dangerous emergency exit, without security stop. Other tourist where disturbing the sea life. With a metal stick they were punching sleeping fishes, touching all kind of animals and no one card.

Corals: Not all corals where in a good condition. There were where traces of dynamite fishing.

Sea life: There are sharks and turtles. But the rest is very average. It can could not keep up with places like Indonesia or even Thailand. During the night dive for example, we did see nothing. And yes they were so generous to give us a lamp.

Boat: The boat was not in a good condition , one of the supporting pillars broke during the ride, but luckily could get fixed.

Food: The food was for the Philippines ok. But due the big amount of people on the boat, often there was nothing left, when you did not were the right at the time it was served. Especially snacks after the diving.

Crew: The crew was nice and caring.

People on the boat: There where a way to much people on the boat. There were ten tourist, I have to mention that there are only eight beds to sleep. The cockroaches disturbing during the night cause all to sleep on the deck and the deck was a way too small for so many people.

Equipment: The equipment was in a very bad condition twice I was not able to breath clearly because the regulator was broke. Check your equipment well. In the end they could manage to give me one which worked plus or minus, but was broke as well.

Price: Totally overpriced!

Conclusion: I really do not recommend this tour! It is really not worth it in any way. Better check out the wrecks with a safe diving center for example the Rocksteady Dive Center there are more beautiful. You only loose time and money going to apo reef with that live abroad.

3  Thank sayasayareyes
Trevor S, General Manager at Dive Cal, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2016

It is absolutly LIE. We didn't had apo safari on June and July just because of weather conditions.That is a true breaking our reputation because they are our COMPETATOR. It simply because sometimes that's a Filipino attitude saying CRAB MENTALITY".If you up,they bring you down.

Reviewed July 24, 2016 via mobile

We were searching for one of the most wonderful diving in Palawan in terms of meeting sharks. That's why we chose this Co. Indeed, we had what we wanted. Apo reef is a fantastic place from this point of view. Then, living conditions on board are medium, especially when you are a woman . Food on board is acceptable: simple and good. Team is friendly and caring. To sum up, good experience but you have to accept to stay in group day & night with people you don't know for 3 days and 4 nights.

2  Thank Natalia C
Reviewed May 3, 2016

My husband and I went on a 3day/2 night trip to Apo Reef with the former DiveCal operation, now under Allan Umali's new ownership.. It was a wonderful experience.

Besides us were only 3 other divers, and between us were 3 dive professionals to take
care of us and make sure everything goes smooth. Allan, his son
AJ and Stefano are great guys and fun to be around. They make sure everybody is fine and safe, give you plenty of time to get ready for the dive and wait until everybody is absolutely comfortable once in the water.
The selection of the dive sites was very good, I loved diving the Kyokuzan Maru wreck and Coral Gardens. The equipment was good and a good selection to choose from, and there was extra on the boat. The food was tasty and plentiful, and bedding and towels were provided. Plenty of freshwater to rinse of after the dive and to have a bucket shower
in the evening. Super clean toilet on the boat.

Many thanks also to the friendly crew on board assisting us divers.
I can highly recommend this dive shop, and me and my husband hope to be back
and join Allan on his new boat one day.

Reviewed April 27, 2016

Had a great first time scuba session, with Stephano & Megan from Dive Cal. Never having dived before I took the "Discover Scuba" Package. This consisted of a training session with my instructor Stephano, and two accompanied dives around two of the Japanese wrecks littering the area. There was only two other customers on the boat so we had all of the dive teams attention and had a great day. Well worth the £60 I paid.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 18, 2016

Dive Cal has recently changed management, and is now known as the Umali Dive Centre (UDCC).

I spent 4 days diving the wrecks of Coron with Allan, AJ and the rest of the UDCC team. Allan has been in the dive business for around 20 years, and that experience shows in his attitude to both service and safety.

Groups are small and tailored to your qualifications and experience level, meaning that OW divers can enjoy the easier areas of a wreck while advanced divers are led through the underwater passageways of the WWII ships. The divemasters really know their stuff, always pointing out features of interest while making sure everyone is safe and happy.

The excursions are quite flexible, so if there is a site you particularly want to dive, chances are UDCC can make it happen – I highly recommend requesting a trip to dive in the crystal-clear, bath-like water of Barracuda Lake.

If I have one complaint it's that the rental gear is getting pretty old and shabby. I know UDCC is getting a brand-new boat to do the Apo Reef trip, so hopefully a few new regs, BCDs and wetsuits are also on the cards.

Overall though, this is one of the best dive centres I have been to. Highly recommended!