“Blessing in disguise :-)”

Corto del Mar Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Manila, Philippines
“Blessing in disguise :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Beds are comfy, more high tech compared to other hotels in town. If I only knew about this resort before I booked for Coron trip, I would have chosen this one. Though its quite far from the bay and the view from your window isn't as good as where I've booked in, I like this better. The staffs are nice and they really care about their guests since were from a cancelled flight of PAL express they run out of room for me so I have to share with a guy from the same flight, and fortunately after dinner they told me that they've managed to fix the room that they couldn't give to me hours ago. Because they are worried about me sharing a room with that guy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ann0810

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Corto was our last stop since we had a cancelled flight, we were placed on a different hotel before we were transferred here, and finally Corto did not disappoint us, the staff were very friendly and attentive, our room was GREAT(what surprised me was the image of one of my fave books growing up The Little prince on the bathroom door) but the VIEW from our room was AWESOME!! we have been coming here for the PIZZA and boy it never disappoints. the breakfast the next morning(free of course) was way better, we had choices and the staff was super nice, made us feel like queens for a day, that to us is PRICELESS.. to stay at this hotel itself is expensive, so to experience it for free was just FANTASTIC! i will highly recommend this to my friends back home. can't wait to go back and eat more Chili Prawn PIZZAS!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in the heart of Coron. It is a sturdy building with a pool nestled right at its heart.
We stayed there for 2 nights after 5 nights at Sophia's garden.
The room was big, with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. We had a balcony but no chairs to sit on which defeats slightly its purpose.
The main downside is the noise. The place is very noisy because of the village surrounding it, the roosters are singing from 5am right on your doorstep. If you don't mind noise, then it's a good place to stay, if you're looking for quiet nights, then it might not be the right place for you.
While we stayed there we encountered countless power cuts, so you might want to bring your flashlight along.
The breakfast is good, and the staff friendly.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julievhl
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have to thank also my fellow contributors for the good review of this hotel. I went last December 2013 for a 4 days holiday with my friend. I contacted them several days before arrival and they arranged a pick up from the airport. Make sure to do this as there is not much transportation from the airport, We had some welcome drinks upon arrival. They have very good staff; friendly and very helpful. The room is quite spacious. There is not much toilet amenities, only a bar of soap, toothbrush and toothspaste and liquid soap. There was no cable during our visit because of the recent typhoon. They have a nice pool but we did not get the chance to try it. The breakfast is a set meal which several choices. Love the food in this hotel. We had dinner two times, I recommend the pizza and the beef kaldereta. We asked the hotel to arrange the tour for us. If you want to try also the tour to Calauit Island then you need three full days. Coron island tour, tour outside Coron, and Calauit Safari tour. All tours come with snorkelling, island hopping...There is no need for the hotel to be near the port as the tour operators pick you up and send you back. Visit Coron and stay in this hotel, you will not regret it!!!

Room Tip: The sound proofing in the room is not good, we can hear the neighbors outside. Choose a higher floo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Modern new hotel, nice design, super clean, steps away from downtown/harbor of Coron. Very good food and excellent drinks, including cocktails in the bar. Excellent coffee too. It felt like oasis to relax in and enjoy high water pressure shower, especially if you spent some time out in more remote locations where facilities are necessarily less sophisticated. There is a reasonable wifi in the lobby even though generally signal is still slow after the typhoon. The hotel does not have a beach, but you probably would not be in Coron town for a beach anyway. Great place to stay in Coron.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Not much complaint except for the bathroom, room location (due to roosters doing their thing all day and night) and hotel location (surrounded by squatters/shanties). Security can be an issue if you want to walk outside the hotel at nights.

The hotel is fairly new (~1 year old) but the bathrooms are not well cleaned and grouts have mildew and staining, one my my pet peeves are dirty washrooms. The shower drain collects water due to air lock.

Staff are amazing and respond to most of your request.

The hotel restaurant is one of the few decent places to eat in the area. There aren't that many in Coron and some of the staff recommendation of places to eat outside can be inaccurate.

Room Tip: The North side is noisier because of the roosters on the adjacent lot. Pick rooms on the same side...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were originally supposed to stay for 3 nights at Corto. We ended up getting stranded and staying for 6 nights because of the typhoon. I would not even dream of being stranded anywhere else, as the staff had become like family to us.

The hotel has so much character, from the wood art (that the owners hoarded for years and years) to little details like art from The Little Prince on the bathroom doors. I can talk on and on about the aesthetics of this place, which are simple yet elegant. The place stood still with 250km/hr++ winds trying to tear it down. Other hotels in the area did not share the same fate.

The food was pretty good as well. I could eat their four cheese pizza all day.

I commend the staff the most. They are amazing. During and after the storm, they worked, even when some had lost their homes. We left a hefty tip for the housekeepers when we left, knowing that many of them had damaged houses from the typhoon. While on our way to the airport, our driver received a call from Corto saying that we left our money in the room. We spoke to them to tell them that it's for them to share. They were extremely grateful and their service was exceptional.

I can't wait to visit Coron again. I will definitely return to Corto without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends