“Worth your money! :)”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Philippines
“Worth your money! :)”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have planned our trip under a package deal from Metrodeals.com and unfortunately, the hotel they booked for us was, for many different reasons, unacceptable. So we went around town looking for a new hotel, and our tricycle driver took us first to Corto del Mar. My boyfriend and I had a look around the hotel and instantly fell in love with it. We didn't even try to find other hotels after seeing two of the rooms they offered. They have a beautiful location, close to the town proper - almost everything is of walking distance. They have a big swimming pool that is available for all guests to use, and they allowed us to stay beside the pool while having our drinks :D

The staff were really friendly, approachable and accommodating. They would always smile at, greet and check on us. They recognise us as their guests, and would remember and ask on the activities we did - which was nice, as we really feel appreciated. They ensured that were always okay, and they've arranger our checkout time based on our convenient time (two hours before our flight). They were very helpful whenever we have requests.

They have beautiful rooms, a bit hi-tech and elegant-looking but still has a hint of filipino culture. They have plenty of wood-carving decors around which adds to the relaxing ambience.
Breakfast looked pleasing and appetising. I wanted to, but I could never finish it! We had a few selections to choose from. We ordered coffee one night, and it didn't taste as good as it does with our breakfast in the mornings. It might have been a one-time thing but we sure don't pay cheap for food and drinks in that hotel!

I can only imagine how much fun those people booked in the presidential suite are having! they have a balcony with a sea view!

Suggestions/Recommendations:
I really like how the staff and the hotel are now and I hope they don't change the way they run things. If anything, they should improve and maintain the beauty of it! Maybe in the future they can incorporate buffet style for breakfast instead, but its understandable that they wont have as many customers during this time of the year (July) .

Room Tip: Choose the room with either the pool or sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdeeNJohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The driver of the shuttle bus that picked us up at the airport is very good. He is mindful of his passengers well being and is very informative of the island.
We were greeted at the hotel by a very warm friendly staffs and a very cool and refreshing drink. Overall experience is great . Food is very good and fresh. Security guard, cleaners and hotel staffs are all warm and friendly.
The only thing that we were unhappy about was the driver of the van who dropped us at the airport, very insensitive to his non local passengers. He drives fast and does not care despite our request to slow down on rough roads as my companion has back pain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alangilan P
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Corto Del Mar definitely made our trip to Coron, Palawan even better! A new hotel right in the middle of Coron Town Proper, it's location is very convenient since it is near everything. You can either walk or take a short tricycle ride from this hotel to the church (Roman Catholic and Iglesia ni Cristo), Town Proper, Port Area, Market, restaurants). Before booking this hotel, I've read some bad reviews written by members of TripAdvisor about this hotel but I still took the chance and booked a room for 3 days and 2 nights. When we arrived, the receptionist was very pleasing, helpful and hospitable. I had a slight miscommunication with the travel agency where I booked our room (I thought we got a room for quadruple sharing) and we were booked in a room for triple sharing. So I requested the receptionist to transfer us to a bigger room and we will just pay the extra rate. When we got to our triple sharing room, it was soooo nice! It was big, clean, airy with nice furniture. We regretted requesting for another room because we already wanted to stay in the triple sharing room and just request for an extra bed. But as we requested, the hotel staff were able to transfer us to a 2-bedroom suite in less than an hour. The new room we were transferred is also very nice. There's a small living room with a flat screen LED TV where you can relax and watch tv with your family and friends. There was also 1 more LED TV in one of the rooms. There is 1 toilet and bath and 1 half-bath to comfortably accommodate 4 people. The icing on the cake, the hotel did not charge us anymore for the extra room rate!

Our group also ordered room service (iced tea, brewed coffee and four cheese pizza) and it was the superb! Great hotel service from all of the staff in the hotel. We were even lucky enough to meet the hotel's general manager Herve. We personally thanked him for not charging us the extra room rate and for giving us a discount on the room service body massage. :)

Next time I visit Coron, I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank maan101
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It was a very nice 12days of vacation in this hotel except for bugs particularly mosquitoes (need repellant lotion at all times) Staffs are very welcoming and nice. Food was great.. tho it needs to add more choices of food. Diving was incredible, love the people in there,my husband and I had a great great time.. You will really feel at home with the staffs that are really helpful and fun to be with. I strongly commend this hotel to everyone :)

Room Tip: For the exemption of their lovely presidential suite, where we stayed..it's a bit of exercise co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Clairence
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Corto Del Mar for 2 nights in a deluxe room.
It's by far the nicest hotel in the town and even though the rooms are around the US$140 a night, we thought it was well worth it.
The hotel is beautifully built using very heavy duty re-cycled timber, magnificent stone work and ornate wrought iron.
It might not be to everyones architectural taste but you can't help but admire the magnificent workmanship, and attention to detail, it wouldn't be out of place in a Spanish colonial town.
Divine large intricately carved Filipino sculptures are abundant.
The hotel surrounds an enormous pool, which is very pleasant. The hotel is actually much nicer in real life than the photos on the internet.
We stayed in a deluxe room on the 2nd floor towards the end of the building, which was very quiet, as the walls are thick making for great insulation from noise and heat.
The hotel has it's own generator which is VERY important in Coron as there are regular "brown outs" or loss of electricity.
The air conditioner, which has it's own thermostat was extremely efficient and cooled the room down in minutes.
The view from our balcony, which looked over the rooves of a small shanty town toward the ocean and mountains, was unusual but quite lovely.
Breakfast was included and was a choice of Filipino, American or Continental, and included fruit juice, coffee, fruit, bacon and eggs and toast.
I couldn't fault the staff. They were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
It's a 3 minute walk to town, and Coron is the cleanest town I've seen in all of Asia.
The hotel has its own dive shop which is very well run. We dived at Barracuda Lake, followed by a reef dive, which we really enjoyed.
The dive shop staff were efficient and professional.
I highly recommend this hotel, and if I return to Coron I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor down the end. Excellent choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guilin
Reviewed June 24, 2013

the design of this resort is great! we have few nights to relax there, the swimming pool is good too! i think this is the best in town! the staff there are very helpful too! breakfast not bad, location is convenient too. Coron is a nice place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We're from Manila and I stayed here for 3 nights with friends. The front staff handled our inquiry well by email. When we got there - Bad Wifi signal, almost none in the rooms and dining area, no elevator but it's ok. Filipino breakfast is not so great. They said they have the best pizzas in town but we didn't have time to try and was a bit doubtful because of the breakfast. Loud cricket sounds at night and roosters from the early morning to late morning available (kept me awake all night and morning, but ok if you're a heavy sleeper). Nice big clean rooms but only single beds if you want separate beds. Extra bed is also a cushioned mat on the floor but ok for P650 a night with breakfast. The pool is nice, not heated but not so cold in the evenings (open until 11 pm). They have complimentary toiletries but lack cotton buds (which you need after a day out in the beach). They have complimentary water to drink but you would have to request every day. Hot & cold water available in the showers and sink but you cannot control it (mostly super hot comes out). Better to hang your clothes dry outside your front door than the balcony. There were also several blackouts although I'm not sure if it was the whole town and it turned the airconditioning off (control is near the door so you would have to get up all the time). No credit cards accepted, only cash at the moment. Actually, I think it's better than other inns in Coron Town since it's new and the area outside the rooms (like the poolside and restaurant) is big - looks like an international hotel (owned by a French I think). Almost to that standard except for my considerations above (maybe around 3-star). We were glad to be back the hotel after a long day of island hopping and were thankful to have the time to lounge at the pool. For the price, you're paying for the location (tricycle available outside or walkable to town and the market), modern feel, free airport shuttle service and clean linens. If the airport van driver is fast like ours, you can reach the Busuanga airport in 30 to 45 minutes (sit in the front rows to avoid feeling dizzy). If you want a more native feel, peace & quiet and you have an afternoon or evening flight back, you can stay in island resorts in Coron (you would have to take a boat ride though before the land arrangement to the airport). If you'd rather stay in town, Corto del Mar is not bad but share the room with more friends to make the price reasonable;)

Room Tip: We stayed at the rooms on the right side (see my account of what happened above). They gave us an &q...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends