“Black board specials”

Cuisines: International
shanghai
“Black board specials”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Really enjoyed the food here - a diverse menu and enough on there to satisfy different tastebuds. Be guided by the 'specials' board though - it is influenced by what fresh produce is available, and you won't be disappointed. When we dined the stingray in coconut milk and lemon grass was delicious. Friends of ours raved about the crab curry. The swiss owner is very friendly and his home baked bread delicious. The supply chain is an issue in Palawan so do not be disappointed when something on the menu is not available - at least you know what you are getting is fresh. Location is good - a great vantage point to observe the brisk business of the balut vendor below.

• Visited December 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Awkward”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This place is supposedly a bit of a Coron institution, and in some respects I can see why. The menu is small but diverse and interesting and the food is generally pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. It's just the guy who runs the place that we found a bit off putting. We went there twice and the first time he was amiable if a little eccentric. The second time when we went in a group of four he was verging on rude. As soon as we sat down he asked what we wanted to drink, before even handing us drinks menus. When we requested some menus he grumbled something and walked off, coming back shortly with them. From that point onwards he was fairly short and awkward with us. For example I asked what kind of fish I was eating and he replied dismissively "Oh, I don't know. They call it Lapulapu" while walking off. When my wife asked what kind of rice her dish came with he basically told her to just look at the menu. Maybe I'm being oversensitive but his demeanour made for an uncomfortable atmosphere and made us reluctant to revisit.

1 Thank Tom B
Manila, Philippines
“Great food but many items not available”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We only discovered this restaurant on our last trip to Coron but were really impressed with the food on offer and the service.

The menu is a little more international than most restaurants nearby and everything we ordered was good.

One criticism would be that a lot of the items on the menu we not available, although this was based on a single visit only. We'll definatley be back there next time we're in Coron.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Karl H
“Nothing special”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

It's a hole. The food is average. They were outta samosas, but their chilli and egg rolls were ok. The bathroom is in the kitchen... Need I say more?The restaurants in this town stink in general. We're here for the diving and beach.... Not the food.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank g5rishi
Vancouver
“European touch”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I ordered pork chops and gravy (her) and crab curry (me). For an appetizer we had samosas with chutney sauce. The food was very tasty and I was actually too full to finish my meal since the samosas were so big and some extras were brought to the table....I seaweed salad and some bread. Very nice service, food, ambiance and a friendly owner who came to our table twice to ensure all was good. The rum and coke was pretty strong and 2 of them can send a casual drinker to lala land pretty fast.

Visited December 2012