“This is island life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coron
Patrik & Tezz Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 61 Coron B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“This is island life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed mid-june 2013 for 7 niights.

Perfect for the budget traveler,or any traveler that's here to dive... and you really can't beat the location. It's a 5 minute walk to the town center, and just far away enough from the main road that the motorbikes don't keep you up at night.

The owners are awesome. Super friendly, accommodating, and full of advice. They'll tell you where to go, and how to not get ripped off. They can arrange transportation for you go wherever you'd like: on land or water. The boatman we hired through them cooked literally the best meal we had in Coron on our 7 night stay. The dive shop they recommended was excellent; I miss those guys already. When we went out the hot springs Patrik lent me his cooler with ice packs for beer. The best coffee shop in town is also just a block away.

Any downsides to staying here, you'll find anywhere else: brownouts are common in Coron, but they've got a generator. Everything stays kind of damp, but welcome to the tropics during the wet season. The place is a bit small, but get out and explore! The guesthouse is situated on stilts over the water. It's really neat. The walls are quite thin, but that's how everyone's are along the water. Once again, this isn't a luxury resort, this is real good living in Coron. I loved it. This is the perfect base camp for the adventure-type, and I really felt like an extension of their family throughout my stay.

The only downside I can think of is that our room had 2 beds and only one towel hook. Oh well, we improvised. Also, if they recommend Coron Bistro to eat at, skip it. Its expensive with small portions and a 10% service charge! Just go to their other recommendation, Santino's grill. They have a copy of the menu in- house and it's much better.

I'll be back next year to explore the rest of the wrecks!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed at May/June 2013 for 4 nights! We found out about it on trip advisor and saw great ratings and reviews of which we are happy to confirm and add to!!
We were very lucky to get a last min booking and would have stayed longer if it wasn't booked out, a credit to the popularity of the place and the fact that it only has limited space , which is what makes it fantastic! Very simple , but all that you need to take advantage of your AMAZING experience in Coron! Everybody is sooo nice and helpful , it's like being part of a family there! Look forward to staying again!
Cheers guys
Mike & Lola

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Thanks Tezz, Patrik, Tezz,s Mum, Cindy, Dog, Cat and you too ("part of the woodwork")Max for making feel so welcome. Its a budget hotel and they dont advertise it any other way. Its clean, simple as well as charming. Walking through the front gate feels kinda like going home after a long day of diving or island hopping. I was there for 4 nights and for 600 peso(deluxe room:)) i could not have asked for better. I did get waken most mornings by Elvis Presley from next door, but it was better than the sound of my alarm clock and knew it was time to get up and go and enjoy beautifull Coron Bay. looking forward to going back there in a year or 2 to check out the extensions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

just got home from CORON actually, me and my cousin stayed here for 4days and 3nights May 20-23, the staff were very warm and welcoming,even though they were quite busy they still showed us true Hospitality, the service was hats off thanks to Bunso, everyone treated us like FAMILY and that was the best part, a HOME away from home is what it is, friendly smiles, great stories, lots of Heart warming advice from Mama, GOOD VIBES, ISLAND LIFE at it's BEST, thank you guys very much and I hope to come back soon enough!! i miss it already!

Room Tip: all of the rooms have nice ambiance so any room is nice to sleep in.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

So here's a (sort of) disclaimer, I am not a snob, but I am picky. If you are VERY picky, you might want to look some place else for accommodations. The group being on a budget relieves me of that privilege. I have to admit that Patrik&Tezz Guesthouse wasn't my first choice but overall I'M GLAD THE GROUP DECIDED ON THIS PLACE. I was happy and impressed enough that I would recommend the guesthouse to friends (or anyone who is traveling on a budget).

The first thing you need to know is that the whole place is built on stilts (thus, my initial ... inhibitions). It rests above salt water but the structure is actually pretty solid. The house is made of native materials and since we're going about the specifics there are 5 rooms all-in-all but only 4 are available for guests (one is used by the family), shared toilet and bath but separate ones for male and female, shared living area with TV and fridge, and a sort of terrace in front where the guests also eat their breakfasts. They also have an adorable cat and a huge but actually very friendly pitbull. It didn't bother me much that they didn't have aircon I guess because we we're out the whole day anyway and the temp wasn't so bad at night.

Now, other than affordable, the guest house was quaint, warm, and homey. I think it's the fact that they hardly have any staff that makes a guest feel welcome. The owners and their family runs the whole place so you get to talk to them and they actually take care of your needs themselves. They are nice people and very easy to talk to about what you need or just about anything else. We particularly enjoyed our little breakfast chat on our last day with Tezz and her mom. I love that they have small signs all over the place with rules and reminders. It was very cute, to say the least, but mostly, it keeps people in check. Being a small place there will be little room to gallivant about so you just have to be sensitive about other guests. I think the signs (and the fact that Tezz lays down the rules when you get there :p) help a lot.

So there, it's not 5-star quality but the thing I liked most about the stay is the experience. Again, I would recommend this to travelers and friends ... although, since the place is made of native materials and the walls are thin and the house is built on stilts, do not be surprised if you wake up at 4am with the whole house rocking that consistent kind of rock accompanied by funny noises from the other room ;-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bitter_thirteen
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at Patrik & Tezz Guesthouse 2 weeks 2012 and decided to come back 2013 to do my dive Master with Rocksteady. Been staying here on and off for 2 months now and they have become like my extended famliy now.
With only 4 rooms and 500pesos per night it feels very safe and homey. There is always someone to help if needed and a hot shower early morning before going diving is a big + :).
Will definately come back again and again since its not every day you come by such cool people and affordable place as Patrik & Tezz.

If you are on a budget with high standards this is it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MaximilianSw
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I don't know how the other reviewers even stayed at the same place we did, but I noticed that many of them have written only 1 review, which is suspicious. Anyways, let me get to the bad stuff first, then write the whole review. We found a BEDBUG at night, and when we showed it to the women in charge, she said "oh sh**." she got patrik who told us there was an infestation in january, and they've been trying to get rid of them since. not exactly what we wanted to hear. since getting home we've had to treat everything we took with us on the trip and we still think one might have snuck in our bags. Obviously they never solved their bed bug problem. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT BED BUGS.
Now the other details. When we arrived in the morning, we were greeted with blank looks by two women who were wondering what we were doing there. We said we had a reservation and one of them said, "oh yeah, ok come in". she went and opened our room and stopped us to tell us she wanted to sweep up for a second. my wife thought she saw a dead cockroach in there, which should have been our first tip off. we went in and the room was very unimpressive. even for a very low budget hostel, it did not look nice. we put our stuff down and went to ask where we were on the map, and the woman couldn't even show us. We felt very uncomfortable here, as if we were staying in a stranger's house. There was constant construction everywhere around the guesthouse, and it wasn't a pleasant place to be during the day. We had wanted to hang out there for an hour or two while we got over jet lag, but the hammering and drilling made that impossible. We went out and when we came back to go to sleep, we found the bed bug. Patrik came out to talk to us (the first time we had seen him) and he told us about the infestation. He gave us our money back, apologized, and gave us a suggestion of a house 5 minutes away to stay at. He didn't seem to want to deal with it, and it did not seem at all like a shock to him. He couldn't have been less helpful. I don't think we were the first people to find bed bugs there. If you're looking for budget accommodations, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. we are still dealing with the bed bug problem a week later, and it was not worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 2wanderingbadgers
Padie71, Owner at Patrik & Tezz Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Our guesthouse is built by native materials and we always do our very best to keep the place clean. Since we are the most "value for money" place in Coron means that we have been fully booked since last December. Lots of guests checking in and out on a daily basis and we try very hard to keep our standards high! Since we discovered the bedbugs last Dec-Jan we have bought new mattresses, cleaning the rooms with hot/boiled water all over the bed frames, walls and floor (bfr every check in).
So when you found a bug and told us it came like big surprise since we haven't seen any for a while. The only thing I could do was to explain what we have done, apologize and give you the money back. I can understand that you guys were disappointed and angry but I couldn't have done anything different than explain/apologize/recommend another place and pay you back.

Then there are several other things you have mentioned as well....suspicious reviews, didn't seem to want to deal with it, and it did not seem at all like a shock to him. He couldn't have been less helpful, we were greeted with blank looks, we went in and the room was very unimpressive, constant construction everywhere around the guesthouse, and it wasn't a pleasant place to be during the day". I will not even try to explain or comment these things more than: all of us at the guesthouse are very accommodating and does everything for our guests to have a pleasant stay! I'm sorry that you guys experienced it differently. /Patrik