“Very poor”

Ranked #22 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Coron
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Very poor”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was probably the worst place we have ever stayed in Asia! Its tired, unclean and run down. Plus its location over the dirty polluted sea doesn't help!
We weren't expecting much due to it being a budget room but it really was terrible and the shared bathrooms were disgusting, I'm not sure when they were last cleaned . Basic is fine but squalid is not!
The staff seem to be untrained, rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeteTosh123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Noisy room over the bar which did not stop pounding until 2am. Bathrooms have wires hanging out of sockets. Seriously there are far better value places to sleep and to eat in Coron. This is just another Gen Y hangout...

Room Tip: stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Coron hotels

Ixelles, Belgium
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staff is not friendly at all: I guess they are too many people to be friendly.

They don't care about your valuable. We asked them to put it in a safe and they let it on the desk. We had to ask twice before they finally put it in the safe,

The room was ok but the bed was terrible : mattress was maybe 2cm wide and full of bedbugs.

Avoid

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Romain1136493
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I heard some bad and good news about the island of Coron. To start it, it is a small fisher’s man town that is really quiet at night time. No luxurious restaurants or hearth pounding night clubs. I had a different experience staying here because it really opened my mind about how I live in North America. Locals live a simple life and they look happy and contented despite hardships in life. I went and visited this place to see amazing beaches, gorgeous hidden lakes and fantastic marine life underwater, but I not only had pictures taken with me, but also the realization of how lucky I am in life and that I should not take things for granted.

I did three days of island hopping with a small boat “Bangka” in local term. Tour guides were all-awesome and served us with great food. I actually stayed at Sea Dive Resort, I wasn’t expecting much for the amount I paid. All I needed was a room to sleep in at night. I had an air-conditioned room with a small window and a bathroom. It wasn’t the greatest, but I had a room to sleep in at night and I was really comfortable. I was out island hopping during the day anyway. I left my valuables at the desk and no money or credit cards were stolen from me. If you are not really comfortable leaving your valuables, just take everything with you. A reminder to everyone, that it is a tropical country so ants and other bugs will always be there. The area itself is a bit dirty, the locals need to take initiative to take good care of the sea, as most of their means of living are coming from the tourist that go visit this place.

Anyway, on my fourth day, I was considering taking a boat ride to El Nido to see what they can offer me, but the 8-hour boat ride hindered me from going. Also, after I had inquired about doing my open water course at Sea Dive Center I decided to stay and finish my open water certification. To anyone reading this review, I definitely suggest to do your Open Water Course at Sea Dive Center and look for VINCENT “Vince” VAN KERKOVEN. He is an amazing instructor that will guide you through out the certification process. I did not felt any pressure from him about the expected routines under water, but instead I forced myself to deliver what was required from me. He has all the patience to guide you through out the process. I guess his experience and passion for diving made him a really a good instructor. He was very hand on with his teaching and you can feel his passion for diving. I know that some underwater routines were frightening to new divers like me, but he made it easy and comfortable for me to do. No pressure that I had to do everything once. As long as you are listening to his instruction, everything will flow smoothly according to plan. It takes practice to master all the routine and he has the knowledge and experience to guide each diver wannabe to reach each maximum potential in diving.

Moreover, we went over each sections of the open water dive manual on my last day and the questions as well. If I had a mistake, he did explain the correct answer. We did the same thing for the quizzes and the final test. Now, I am back in Canada and I just received my PADI’s Open Water Diver Card. A huge thanks to my amazing instructor and now a friend for guiding me through out the experience and making it a memorable one, I can not think of anything else that I didn’t like about the experience. To top it off, he did take lots of photos and videos of the marine life and me during the dive and gave me a copy for free. I have it all with me. Thanks again to my amazing friend VINCE.

All the best.

Cheers,
Albert

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Albert_crz
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My boyfriend & I decided to rent a double kayak from the dive shop & we were told to leave our bags at the front desk where it will be secured while we were out. When we came back 2.5 hrs later, we took our bags back & had lunch at the restaurant. Afterwards we went back to our hotel room where I noticed that I had a $100 Canadian bill missing from my bag. This bill was hidden deep inside the bag in a brown envelope so the likelihood of it falling it is very slim. When we complained to the manager, he was rude and unhelpful. He said he finds it odd that anyone would steal Canadian dollars as it cannot be cashed in town. I told him that it's not impossible to cash it as someone could go to manila or other cities nearby to cash it. Anyways the manager was very rude & useless so we filed a report with the police about the incident. Apparently there's nothing they can do about it but I told them that even just having my report on file is fine with me. Don't ever trust these people with your valuables. I'm not It sure who took my money but obviously it's one of the staff members working there who knew that we'd be gone for several hours. Absolutely poor customer service skills by the manager! He should not be in this type of business! He has no sense of emPathy or compassion at all. He told us that he's never had a problem with theft in the past 9 yrs or so that he's been there but after reading the terrible reviews on here, obviously anything that comes out if his mouth is a lie. Pls save yourself the aggravation & headache & stay away from this place at all cost.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jen j
Beijing
Reviewed October 20, 2013

What can I say that is positive about Sea Dive? Well, the staff are very friendly, that’s for sure. But, to be honest, that’s about it. The place is a disgrace. Neglect is everywhere and it is quite obvious that the staff have totally given up caring.
We booked in to a room with a fan (we didn’t feel it was necessary to have a/c) which turned out to have no outside windows, smelt of decay and stale air, and almost all the bathroom fixings were either coming away from the walls or had fallen off altogether. There wasn’t even anywhere to hang up a towel. We moved to a larger (a/c) room only to find that again there was nowhere to hang a towel and that we were subject to an incessant thump thump thump of “music” from the bar area below into the early hours.
Housekeeping failed to do up the room two days running, despite two requests to reception (who themselves were very surprised since the guy assigned to it had had the room key for three hours and had only one other room on his schedule to clean). We demanded to be moved to another room (which they did immediately) but the thump thump thump was even worse, and in this room the a/c was broken (so in effect we had the use of a fan only). Again nowhere to hang a towel.
The “free” coffee and tea provided downstairs was so disgusting that even one of the diving instructors who works there told us he thought it tasted like there was a dead rat in it!
And to add insult to injury they tried to charge us 1600 pesos per night instead of the advertised 1300 pesos (which they had confirmed to us when we checked in, and which they immediately “corrected” when we asked why the price had shot up).
We finally moved to the very much nicer KokosNuss hotel further up the street which is also cheaper than SeaDive (we got a nice room overlooking a large garden for 1200 pesos). In fact there are plenty of cheap hotels up the road all offering better rooms and better rates than SeaDive.
Our advice: avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: Having experienced three separate rooms, all of which were bad, I guess perseverance is a prerequisi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sabrina T
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel, but I did eat here on the nights I stayed in Coron.
Food was excellent. Many choices and good prices.
Wait staff was helpful.
The sunset was an added plus to watch while having a good meal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends