All reviews coron island boat ride colorful fishes coral reef catch of the day limestone cliffs rice full board meals filipino food giant clams white sand beach souvenir shop private boat hammocks zar cottage banka
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

After reading so many positive reviews of Balinsasayaw 'Resort' our group of 5 were very excited to experience this place for ourselves. Instead, we were collectively thoroughly disappointed with what we had already paid for. To accomodate our group, we were housed in a 'Family Villa' with adjoining rooms of which 2 of the 6 power points actually worked (inconvenient for charging phones and cameras). Electricity is provided by generators operating only between the hours of 1730 and 0730. The towels provided were little more than frayed rags and the gaps in the doorways and window frames made it essential for us to apply insect repellent before we slept. Meals cost 300 pesos per head; this is a set menu which we were told was to provide guests with a genuine experience of Filipino cuisine. The staff were obliging enough to ask if we had any dietary requirements/allergies of which 2 of group were vegetarian and 1 was allergic to seafood. We were served a meal of pumpkin gloop, baby blue-swimmer crabs and pork ribs so lean that what little meat available had to be scraped off with a fork. The vegetarian option consisted of mandolin sliced cucumber and carrot with a mustard sauce; the yield of which would not constitute neither an entire carrot nor cucumber and a plate of steamed rice. On observing other guests' meals, couples were being served the same portion sizes as to what was supposed to cater for our group of 5. For 300 pesos one can quite happily feed themselves in Coron Town to the point of overindulgence, yet, we had to argue with the staff for second helpings in order to satiate our group. Most disappointingly however was the lack of accountability shown by the management; upon eavesdropping on our complaints, the proprietor simply gave us a wide berth rather than address the problem. To conclude, there is better value for money in using Coron town as a base to explore the area rather than risking the same unaccomodating and overpriced mistake we made in choosing to stay at Balinsasayaw Resort.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE. You're better off staying in town and going on daily reef and island hopping tours. Better value for money and you won't be stuck on an island with no reception and crappy wifi.

Disclaimer: we are not obese.
Dinner was horrible. We are 5 adults;2M and 3F. 300 pesos per head, which is expensive for Philippines standards. Consisted of:
A small small bowl of pumpkin soup which resembled the runny goop.

Then came 5 baby blue crabs, after which we had mentioned 2/5 of us don't eat seafood. The effort it took to find some meat on that crab definitely wasted more calories than I was consuming tonight.

We also notified them that there were 2 vegetarians in our group prior to dinner. We received 10 shreds of cucumber and carrot with mustard sauce. The dish didn't even contain a total of 1 cucumber or carrot in it, it was the portion size of garnishing. Maybe I could have spelt my initials with the shavings.
The 5 small bits of dry BBQ pork followed which were mainly bone and fat.

At this moment, I happened to look up at the wall and saw a gecko eating a fly and thought ' Wow, it's consuming more protein/ food than I am'.

Taking sneaky glances at the other tables, tables of 2 received the same portion sizes as the 5 of us.
After much deliberation, we ultimately decided to ask for more food however was told there was no more servings left.. luckily we were able to converse in Tagalog and persuade the waiter to give us more soup and 5 more bits of their boney pork.
In hindsight, we were probably eating the staffs dinner.

I ended up eating about 3 servings of white rice doused in the mustard sauce in an attempt to gain some sustenance.
They didn't end up charging my vegetarian friend as she refused to pay 300 pesos for the minimal vegetable shavings she had consumed.

I would rather pay $10 for an Ultimate zinger box from KFC or a meatball foot long subway sandwich.

Don't get me started on the room...I'll share this anyway. No need for a door, the place is a peeping toms dream. Gaps the size of Lily May Jaggers teeth, the London look is strong for the door frames here. Think...filo shack combines with London chic.

If you want electricity between the hours of 7:30am and 5:30pm, bad luck. I didn't think this would be a hassle but the toilet doesn't have a window in it. Imagine fumbling around in the dark trying to sit on the throne. Actually, I can't even call it a throne as the toilet seat had been tastefully removed. Bowl, it's just a bowl.

I had no expectations for breakfast as my experiences thus far had been disappointing. Ordered beef tapa, was informed they had run out. The next morning I ordered corned beef and they had run out. I ended up eating a fruit plate consisting of 2 bananas and an orange.

0/10 just because we can't go below zero.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank WanderingJ10
Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

Alhough i have given this resort a 4 star review, please note the following:
If you want comfort, convenience, and a modern hotel, this is not a good choice. By convenience i mean easy access to Coron town . Access to Coron town is available but they run two free boat shuttles a day to the main island for access to island hopping tours. They charge for other rides (quite a bit). They offer free airport pickup and drop off so this offsets the costs a little bit.

Positives:
This hotel is quite unique from most other Coron resorts. It is located on a small island a 15 min boat ride away from Coron usland. The grounds are simple and beautiful and all the buildings are rooms are done in the bamboo, wood and thatched cottage design - which is common in the Philippines.

If you want a quiet beautiful setting with a private lagoon, hammocks with stunning water views and good food, this is a GREAT CHOICE.

The owner is a lovely lady with a great eye for quality and detail. The resort is clean and kept well. Other staff are also friendly and excellent.

Negatives:
weak and on/off internet, basic rooms/bathrooms, limited electricity (530pm to 730am only) , fixed meals (no menu), and limited mainland access. Note: the fixed meals are very good, plentiful, and reasonably priced.

Suggestion - if you are in Coron for more than 2 days, split your time between a modern mainland resort and Balinsasayaw. You get to experience both worlds. I also stayed at the Coron Weston for 2 nights

Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank sfasiantraveller
Reviewed August 3, 2016

Over-all experience was GREAT! They took care of our entire vacay experience (land/sea transfers, entrance fees, and meals -- breakfast, lunch and dinner) from start to finish. The owner (Rose) and her staff were extremely friendly, you will feel right at home as they welcome you. Resort food was quite a thrill as they served the catch of the day, and boy, were they fresh and delish! We came across never-seen-before fishes (i.e. unicorn fish, lamayo etc) which were worth coming back for. Our tours were worry-free, thanks to Jay and his "henchmen" as they took us from one destination to another. The resort has it's own coral haven, and all you have to do is grab your snorkels and (literally) paddle your way to its floating cottage or simply ask them to make it part of your tour package for a more hassle-free experience. They had more than a dozen rooms which were decent, spacious, and had clean bathrooms. We stayed for 5 days and did not have anything worth complaining about (other than the rainy weather, which they had no control of). Bring powerbanks as they only have electricity from 5:30PM to 7:30AM. We'll definitely be back, hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: They say room no.10 is for the "adventurous". Ask the staff about it, quite sure they have a story or two to share about it. *wink*
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank jvbpena
Reviewed July 1, 2016

I made a reservation on the resort's website about two weeks before our 7 day stay at the end of April. I didn't get an emailed confirmation, so I emailed the resort to make sure it was ok. Communication with the resort was terrible as I spent the next 4 days emailing and phoning the resort (Joann) to try to get the confirmation.

We get to Manila and spend a few days there (my husband was there on business), and then the day before we are supposed to fly to Busuanga, I get an email from Joann that the generator that supplies the resort with electricity has broken down and that we need to find alternate accommodation because they don't think it will be fixed in time. She promised to send a list of resorts to choose from and finally half a day later, she sends me a list of just hotel names, nothing else. Meanwhile I had been holed up in my hotel room trying to research and book alternatives on my tiny little iPhone. Given the hassles we had trying to book the property in the first place, I'm still not entirely sure if the generator situation was real or a fabrication to cover a booking issue.

FYI we ended up staying at the Corto del Mar for a few days, which was ok although the town isn't much, and then Busuanga Bay Lodge which I highly recommend!

After we returned, I then contacted them several times for a refund of my deposit, and they never responded at all, so I ended up getting a refund through my credit card company.

I obviously can't recommend this place. If after reading this you still decide to go, I would suggest not booking through the resort's web site, and going through a broker such as Agoda.

Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple