“Adequate for your needs in Coron away from town.”

Sunz En Coron Resort
Ranked #2 of 65 Coron B&B and Inns
London UK
“Adequate for your needs in Coron away from town.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Sunz en Coron offers a basic room with few amenities, so please don't book this expecting 4 star treatment, the lady that owns the resort is pleasant and friendly, there is no issue there, but this resort caters more to the Korean guest, which to be sure there are many visiting on Coron at any time, it has a nice swimming pool with changing colour lights at night, very attractive, and thats its best amenity.

I was not expecting great things for the room, and my assertions were correct, you don't get them, the rooms are fairly small, the bed for me was a bit weak, being a bigger man, I was not looking forward to sleeping on it, every time I moved position while sleeping I heard the bed creak, my biggest issue with all hotel reviews is the quality of the bathroom, for one thing, I made it clear to my wife from the start, i did not like the bathroom layout, its one of those typical Filipino standard shower curtain spaces, with the WC in the middle of the shower area, for me, thats a no no, your WC gets wet, and you are trying to shift the toilet paper out of the way every time you want a shower, not a good start i thought.

Secondly, there is nowhere to put your toiletries, the resort supplies a small bar of soap, and I mean a small one, a couple of towels, which you wont' be blown away with, we had our own toiletries as most travellers do, but there is no where to put them, which meant we had to put our toiletries on the floor outside next to the suitcase holder, which is made out of whicker, again, our things were mainly on the floor, again, not a good start.

The shower itself is an electric one, but water pressure as with most Filipino resorts hotels on these islands is of a low quality, you don't really get the force of spray you want, so don't expect it, I wanted to complain to the Management but my Filipino wife as ever, said don't bother.

The resort say's they have safety deposit boxes for use, be warned !!!! there is no safe in the room, like in most other major hotel chains, which means if your carrying large amounts of cash, your passports, cards etc, you have nowhere to put them in the room, there is a safe deposit box in the reception area, but when we asked to use it, we were horrified to find that your valuables are put with everyone else's, something of which we declined, we also had an issue with getting our valuables back, and how would they know who put what in, a most unsatisfactory system, and something again I wanted to complain about.

The only thing I can suggest is that take a strong lock for your suitcase, and then lock away your valuables there, thats what we had to do and take pot luck, usually in most of these resorts, the Filipino staff can't afford to be dishonest, they would rarely touch your valuables, and I find its unheard of.

There is a small restaurant in reception area, its ok, breakfast for me was meagre, and the toast they offer is nothing more than white bread, a little bit of scrambled egg, and a choice of bacon or ham, its a kiddie portion breakfast, not buffet, The toast is not toast as Westerner's expect these ones never seemed to go through the toaster, we had to ask them 3 times to re toast it, the food is Korean orientated, and we ate out most days, we spent 4 nights in the resort.

The WIFI is somewhat for me a joke, to say they have wifi don't be misled, its a Smart Bro connection in the breakfast area only, which means everyone goes down there to use it, I found most of the time it didn't work or was intermittent at best, in the end I gave up, my wife persevered but I just could not tolerate it.

And finally the T.V. in the room, - a washout, don't go to Sunz En Coron expecting BBC or CNN to check your share portfolio, ha ha, the T.V. is a couple of local Filipino channels, and we had a brownout shortly after arrival on day 1, after that the boys who look after the rooms told me with that Filipino shrug shoulder mentality, "Its not available sir" and that was it, we never did watch t.v. again.

There is a free tricycle service downtown which is welcome, and everyone is friendly, the Coron Airport is extremely poor by any standards, and the approach airport road has to be seen to be believed, going through a farm of many animals on the road, an eye popper for most.

They have some nice cabanna's or bahay kubo's to sit in at night, although watch out, I was bitten terribly by mosquito's you do need to have lots of repellant with you, OFF is a good one you can buy anywhere in the Philippines at Pharmacy's such as Watson's you do need it.

I know you don't visit Coron, to watch T.V. and thank God for that, you go for the Eco tourism, the boat trips and the sea food experience, would I stay there again, sadly and this is hard to do on trip advisor, no I would not, its not up to standard, and clearly the owners refuse to bring it up to standard...best of luck, the stay will be mediocre, but then I guess its always a matter of what your expectations are, it was adequate and thats all I would say.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ginapeterb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a good and friendly stay at Sunz despite having a small room. The people than run it were very friendly and helpful and made us feel very relaxed despite the seeing them a lot as the complex is rather small. We used the stay to dive and went with the ze germans down the road.
Food here was just ok but hopping on the sidecars one got to town pretty quick where several better restaurants could be found. Overall a nice experience.

Room Tip: if possible not the small corner one
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed Sunz En Coron Resort for just 1 night, wanted to see what's in Town. The sad thing was a bit far to down town, took us over 25 minutes walking in the rain. A resort owned by Korean with less then 20 rooms and a tiny swimming pool with bar. The staff was kind to arrange transportation for us to town, but his colleague who supposed to be the driver left earlier and at the end, no one could give us a lift. The room was o.k. but shower is right above the toilet, had to leave paper up high.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sunnyhu
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and me had a perfect stay at Sunz En Coron, the rooms are super clean and very nicely decorated. The pool area and the cabanas invite to chill, drink, dine and get a massage. The food is delicious, especially the korean food is great. And last but not least, the service is perfect, the staff makes you feel welcome and it feels like home. Thank you for the great time!

• Stayed July 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed at Sunz En Coron with a group of friends on our trip to Coron in Jan 2013. I was quite particular on choosing our accommodation as I didn't want to be disappointed and was glad we made the right choice! Bought it with a package I found on the Sunz En Coron website including airport transfer, accommodation + Coron tours.

Had a seamless communication via email with the Korean owner. We initially booked 8 people, but due to unforeseen circumstances only ended up with 7 people. I advised the owner (not expecting a refund) and it was nice of her to refund the accommodation money to us. Quite a good start.

Location is peaceful and quiet but within distance from the town central which we preferred as it's more quiet and relaxing.The resort is very clean, well maintained & managed. I particularly liked the little nipa huts outside where you can sit on the floor and just relax or even have breakfast/ dinner. Gives the resort a very dreamy/ island feel despite it being away from the beach. We booked 2 rooms, which I believe was one of the biggest rooms. Both of them had 2 double beds each and all the rooms gives you easy access to the pool which changed colours at night. Was served welcome drinks upon arrival. Breakfast was quite good also. Service from the staff is excellent. They were really nice, attentive and accommodating. The resort provides free rides to the town central if you decide to go out for dinner or do some souvenir shopping or you can just walk it. The tricycle driver told us that Coron has a 0% crime rate so that really put our mind into ease.

The only problem that we had was with the showers on our last day but it wasn't a big deal. In total, I'd still give it a 5. Very good resort with a homey feel to it, would recommend it and would consider staying here again on my next Coron trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a lovely place to stay.
The hotel is very clean and the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating, always willing to help or just ask how your day is going.
There is a great pool, the rooms are spacious, the bed was very comfortable and the food is good.
You get clean towels everyday and plenty of them. The is good aircon and also a fan.
Electricity seems to go every so often in the town but within a few minutes the Hotel have the electricity back on including the sircon. I believe they switch providers but maybe they have a generator. Ether way the 'brown outs' do not effect you in the hotel.
It is approx 10 mins walk from the centre of Coron and they have free trycles to and from the town centre. Being that little bit outside the town means it is quieter and more restful.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Coron.

Room Tip: All the rooms are around the pool so not sure there is a preferred room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great place, nice, friendly staff and okay breakfast. The only thing I found odd was that the resort has no shuttle service to ferry guests to and from the airport. They did have a trike that can sit six people, but this one is used only to bring guests to destinations within the town of Coron. If they had a van transfer, everything would have been perfect and we wouldn't have had to use Balaibinda's shuttle service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends