“Good staff,but owner got attitude problem”

Ranked #23 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Coron
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed in Ralph's Pensionhouse from January 15th to 19th,2013.Here is a summary of the good and bad experiences that I had.To be fair,let me highlight the good points first.

Good points:
1. Staff very accommodating-pensionhouse staff,tour guide,boater
2. Quite generous about the portions of food served
3. Good location,5-minute walk to the pier and other hotels and pensionhouses
4. Rooms and floors are clean,and they provide unlimited coffee and drinking water.

Bad points:
1. Walls of rooms with stains-so if u guys claim that your pensionhouse exudes the ambiance of a hotel and the comfort of a home,I totally disagree coz I stayed there for 5days
2. Clogged toilet,which happened twice.i give credit to the staff though coz she was embarrassed when I brought up the issue.i hope the owner,jun,is aware of this before you guys claim that your business offer comfort. You know how it feels when you are spending holidays with your girlfriend,then this happens...how embarrassing
3. Clogged basin-very embarrassing as well.we cannot even brush our teeth properly...
4. Impatient,rude,impolite owner(jun) with poor communication skills-lacking email etiquette

What were the bad experiences with the owner (jun)?
1. Owner doesn't know how to write professional and polite email letters.before he received my deposit sent to him,he was quite polite and patient.but after they received the initial deposit,he was impatient in answering queries.one instance,was when I was asking if they will be issuing an email receipt of my deposit,he answered by saying-"since inception of our pensionhouse,we never issue receipt.i think this email reply is enough proof of receipt already"-which I think is very rude,arrogant,and impatient reply.
2. Owner doesn't deliver what he promised-two days before arriving coron,he told us that the van driver from Busuanga airport will be carrying a white board bearing my full name.upon arrival,I had to look at each van coz the driver was not carrying any white board.i have to ask him if he was going to the pensionhouse.this Is totally a bad experience for the guest.i even thought that I alighted at the wrong airport.
3. Owner got poor comprehension skills-I told him twice thru email,which he acknowledged,that my girlfriend and I are arriving on the 15th and would like to start our city tour on the 15th.upon arrival at the pensionhouse,the wife of the owner is even arguing with us that we are booked on the 16th,and our itinerary starts on the 16th,not on the 15th.they did not even apologize and this jun never talked to me about it,he just sat in front of his computer,answering email letters from prospect guests.i felt like I was just another customer. because of this,we had to rent one of their rooms for a day,and spend on expensive foods on one day.good thing I got enough pocket money.
4. My girlfriend requested one of the staff that dinner be served at 8pm,because she is still full.right after that,jun intervened and insisted that we eat dinner at 7pm coz his staff is taking off.
5. Owner doesn't make guests feel welcome.he doesn't smile,and he doesn't greet guests,who provide him livelihood.whats worst is he speaks in a stern and high pitch tone,which is provoking and irritating.he appears arrogant,and this observation comes from a person who has been working in the hospitality industry for more than 5years.i am not a hard-to-please- person,I just feel its unfair to receive such rude treatment when you know urself as someone who is patient,polite,and professional when handling guests.
6. There is brownout (lack of electric power) in the town of coron almost everyday. The pensionhouse only turns on their generator at night.consequently,u get no fan,no t.v.,no aircon,no water supply during the day.

I totally don't recommend this pensionhouse to other people.i should have listened to the negative comments before.when you arrive at coron town,there are lots of hotels,inns,lodges,and pensionhouses which are just surrounding Ralph's pensionhouse.be smart,and I want you guys to enjoy your vacation in coron.

4 months from now,I will be going to coron again with my parents and brothers.this time,I will make it sure that I book with other hotel or pensionhouse.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank GabrielApostol

Reviewed November 19, 2012

During our stay in Ralph's, I promised myself that I would give a fair and positive feedback to this lodge to vindicate recent negative comments. And no, I am not related to them. Our stay there was surprisingly pleasant for travelers who are working on a budget. If you are a foreigner or a local who is used to big and spacious room then this is not the place for you. Ralph's Pension House is very much Filipino style. Not so roomy, not so cramped either. The interiors remind me of our ancestral house in our province and if you like cozy and traditional effect, then I am sure you will also love the place. The quaint and homey ambiance perfectly blends well with the countryside of Coron.

For coffee lovers, there is unlimited instant coffee in the pantry which is very much favorable for me! After our island hopping outdoor activity, we will simply hangout and chat in the smoking area and sip our hot coffee. The owner, Mr. Jun was so hospitable and accommodating. I remember when we arrived at their place. He greeted us with his welcome speech and an explanation on how being in a hostel business relates with marriage. He said so much about it but one thing I will never forget was this: it is an everyday learning process. He said it with so much passion so yeah, I’m kind of touched. Hehe!

Common and receiving areas are well-maintained. Floors are always clean. No marks of dusts, shoe traces and footprints considering the guests that continuously walk in and out of the place. A signboard is available in every room. Hang this in your doorknob outside your room if you need housekeeping. There are common bathrooms as well which are also clean and dry.

Of course if there are positive, there are also downside remarks. One thing I do not like about our room (Bianca’s Room) is that it is not sound proof. Bianca's room is adjacent to the pantry where condiments and utensils like coffee, sugar, creamer, cups and glasses are placed. We can hear the sound of cutleries hitting glasses every time someone’s in there. And one more thing, they need to put window blinds or SUPER thick curtains inside the rooms. They do not turn off the lights outside the common area at night and it is a problem for people like me who can only sleep in total darkness.

Overall, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for backpackers and budgeted travelers. For delicate, picky travelers or in Filipino term “maselan”, find a place that fits your taste. Though for me this is just PERFECTLY FINE. Just recently, TripAdvisor issued them a Certificate posted in the reception area. That is something I guess. =)

This is not a five-star hotel. This is a PENSION HOUSE. Know the difference. With all my good experiences here in Ralph’s, I can confidently echo what Tito Jun said upon our arrival: “Welcome to Ralph’s Pension House, your Home Away From Home.”

Room Tip: Rooms in rooftop are the best. We occupied a room there for a night before we transferred to the sec...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank craizyl
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My friends and I went here last july. The owner, Kuya jun, was very accomodating, welcoming us with his warm greetings and introducing us to rich history of Coron. All food and itineraries were set to us. Our room was more than big enough for our group and provided us the privacy that we want. It just took time for some of the meals to be served on time, probably because the place was fully booked when we were there but the food were great and overflowing. I will definitely recommend it for a place to stay in Coron.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grace P
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here more than a year ago. It was still number 1 (or 2) and i'm glad to see that the ranking for this place is going down. I feel I was deceived into thinking that this was a good place to stay. It wasn't terrible but it definitely wasnt great either. I cant imagine why anyone would rate this place as a 4 or 5. I guess the reason why people give this place good reviews is because the owner would text the guests and would ask to give them a good review. Well, sorry but I do not think your pension house deserves a good review. The rooms were too small and full of ants. The food wasnt great (although the crab was really fresh). I'm sure there are other accommodations better than this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ChaMarco
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed there for 1 night. The rooms did not fit more than a bed. The bathrooms were moldy and in a terrible condition. In the toilet there were traces of the prerenters and the smell made you feel like you were sleeping in a rotten dungeon. And this for a rate of 1000phil pesos. Additional the owner supllied us with wrong information. never again!

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank imthettraveller
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We discovered Ralph's Pension House when we are strolling in the town. We were amazed when we saw the rainy day promo and the other perks that they have and to our curiousness we went inside the Pension House to inquire about the details of the promo and the owner itself, Tito Jun and staff welcomed us. They were very friendly and accomodating and that's why my friends and I were convinced to transfer because it was a lot way better than the one, unfortunately the owner of the lodge that we first stayed did not allowed us to refund our payment so we stayed there for a night.. In the morning, we headed to the Pension House and we were served welcome drinks for our first stay... The place was so nice and the room was so cozy. They even offered us the Penthouse, the room was very spacious for the three of us.. They took care of our needs during our stay and they offered a lot of choices especially that we are budget conscious. We felt so comfortable and Tito Jun has a lot of humor, we enjoyed his company. The place was in the middle of the town so the restaurant, market, stores,etc. is just nearby so it saved us a lot a money especially for the tricycle fares. We enjoyed the unli coffee and water and the breakfast they served was great. Our stay in Coron was very unforgettable and we will refer this one to our friends and family who want to visit Coron. Thank you very much and God Bless Ralph's Pension House - Jo-Anne, Lycel and Allen =)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a last minute reservation for our hotel accommodation last week and I'm so glad to have speak with Kuya Jun, owner of Ralphs Pension House. At first, I was just inquiring about the rate, but kuya Jun, the owner, is so accommodating and friendly as if we already known each other which makes me decide to reserve a room for us and cancel our reservation in Mt. Tapyas Hotel.
I have read some reviews about the pension house, but we are willing to take the risk..anyway, we can transfer anytime if we're not comfortable with the room and service but as we arrived in the pension house, all the negative reviews that i read makes me realized that you really have to witnessed something in person before you judge. The house is so clean, our room is small but we love the bed because its so big and comfortable.The owner, Kuya Jun, ate Doll and the staff were so friendly and hospitable. They even gave us a surprise anniversary treat with matching greeting card and a yummy cake..really, our stay in Coron is one of the best tour we ever had. Im so thankful that i met kuya Jun, we will definitely go back in Ralphs Pension House..nothing compare with the service and the friendship that you will gain in staying in this hotel. I already recommend this to my friends who love to travel and stay in a very affordable but comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: for couples, its best to stay in room near the garden..really love the ambiance.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple