“The service/accommodation was not worth our money :(”

Zuric Pension House
Ranked #27 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Coron
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Booking: relatively painless; however, i was definitely a bit skeptic booking from overseas especially because they required 50% downpayment/reservation fee and all we get was an email confirmation from dolly/jun versus an official receipt; communication was petty seamless as well, and dolly/jun seemed very accommodating as we were negotiating the price/accommodation

Arrival at the airport: our van was waiting for us upon our arrival; although we had to wait for a few more passengers, we had no complaints as this was expected of shuttle services

Hotel check-in: the hosts made us wait in the "lobby" area with a glass of orange juice until our rooms were ready

Room: super small/tight, but that would have been okay if everything else was great, but NO. Walls had stains, covers and blankets ha stains, towels had stains in addition to being wet/moist, and they're supposed to be "new" and "clean" :( the bathroom was a bit tight, which would have been okay, too, if the shower and water heater worked and if the busted light was replaced. But, no :(

Excursions: we managed to book two day-trips--1) kayangan lake, banol beach, twin lagoon, twin peaks,  and siyete pecados and 2) malcapuya beach, banana islands and bulog dos

Absolutely appreciated our bankeros! They were so nice to us. Kuya Gilbert and the other Kuya were very patient with our questions and did very well as tour guides. We had them for both days, and I think we would have been just as fine with them two without the additional tour guide they added to our trip. He talked too much, in my opinion. Day one was pretty good, but we had to skip twin lagoon because of the weather. Day two was also good if not for the choppy waves. I was surprised jun/dolly allowed us to set sail given the weather conditions, but we trusted them enough to go with it. All I knew was that our bangkeros would keep us safe.

What frustrated me the most was not getting a refund for the bulog dos entrance, which we skipped due to weather conditions. Everybody knows that entrance fees were only collected if we set foot on the island, so you can only guess where our 200php went. It's really not about the price, but it's all about treating your clients right and fairly.

Massage: on our last night, we wanted to relax and unwind, so upon their recommendation, we opted for the in-house massage service. Bad idea! Our masseuse never came. We would have been better off going next door!

Location of the pension house was good overall--close to mount tapyas, to the market and to the bangkas; the food was okay except on the first day when I couldn't recognize what we were served; their "supervisor" was mostly the one who kept us feel welcomed throughout our stay. Dolly/jun were only good to us while we were making our reservations via email. As soon as we got there, they could not have cared less. They would not even face us as we expressed our concerns about the room, the bathroom, the excursion, the massage, etc.

If you have a choice, shop around before booking with Ralph's pension house and go where you'll get your money's worth.

• Stayed: December 2011
7  Thank whynotchocnut

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THE COMMENT made by Lorna and other guests who had stayed in Ralph's house. I can attest to this because we also had a bad experience when we stayed there - dirty and smelly bed linens, small and dirty rooms, no welcome drinks, no available coffee. The only good thing about this place is their location - NOTHING MORE!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank josefino r
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We Stayed at the hotel during our long Honeymoon trip in Philippines (Palawan). The hotel is a nice small place located the center of Coron town, but th twon is very small as well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There are nice expensive places in the town and the area, if you want more fancy places, but if you want good laid back place and many young travelers, this is the place for you. The manager Oscar and his lovely wife helped us organize all the activities along with useful advices. Bottom line, if you are looking for a good, not expensive place with nice atmosphere, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The rooms in the top floor are small, but very quite.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I've read the review in the site about the place, and at the beginning I was a bit skeptic about the place. But what made the difference was the Owner.
We Stayed at the hotel during our trip to Palawan and the surrounding area. The hotel is a lovely place located at the center of Coron town, in the city center (although the town is very small and verything is close to everything). The rooms were clean and comfortble. The hotel has a nice rooftop restaurant and an inner chill zone. Although you can find a nice expensive places in the town and the area, if you are looking for homey place with good atmosphere, and many young travelers, this is the place for you. The best thing about the hotel is the owner Oscar (and his lovely wife). He helped us plan our trip in the area, and find good deals in town. He also had many good and useful recommandations which made our trip much better then we planed. I would certenly recommand the hotel for my friend, and hope I'll be able to visit again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the top floor are the best. Don;t stay in the rooms which are on the street (on the gro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I loved my trip to Coron. It's such a beautiful place, but do not stay in Ralph's Pension house.

They have very disrespectful staff members, one actually raised her voice on me. I could not believe it. They served us breakfast for 3 days. 2 out of the 3, I had hair on my food, disgusting. On our second day, there was no water in our bathroom. On our third day, the aircon broke. It took them a few hours to do something about it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank apvenriquez
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Prior to my trip to Coron, I read a handful of reviews on this website to help me get an idea of what Ralph's Pension House was like. As I went through the different posts, I realized that many had negative reviews about the place and the owner, but I gave these all the benefit of the doubt.

Don't get me wrong, Ralph's is actually an okay place to stay if you are on a budget. The food is just okay, the location is great, the rooms are average. I had to have my sheets changed because they were rather soiled, but the staff graciously replaced the dirty sheets as soon as I called it to their attention.

So far so good right?

Things were all great until the management screwed up our room reservations. Our group of 12 came in two batches: 10 on the first day, and 2 others followed the next afternoon. When my two friends arrived, they were told that no room was available for them, and that they would have to stay in the rooms of the other people from our group first. This was the total opposite of what we had talked about the day before -- it turned out that the room reserved for them was given to another family, staying about the same length of time as our group. Given this, we asked for a one-night refund for the two of them, which amounted to Php 2,400 (Php 1,200 for each of them)

We talked this over with the owner, JUN GUTIERREZ, and his manner of addressing us was really rude. When we asked about the situation and the refund, he scoffed at us and told us, "Busying-busy ako. Pero oo, diba nasabi na sa inyo at ayos na? 2,400 na nga ang refund." (I'm really busy right now, but weren't you already told that you will get 2,400 as the refund?)

Given these words, we felt assured that we would get the money back for that one night when we had to cram people into our rooms.

The next day, which happened to be the day we were leaving for Manila, one member of the staff approached us with Php 600. She told us that it was the refund promised to us. We argued that we were told that our refund was Php 2,400. Of course, because she was only part of the staff, she could not do anything. When we asked to speak to JUN GUTIERREZ, the staff member said that he had gone out for the day. (We had a hunch that he was just at the Pension House.) Either way, it was quite appalling and completely unprofessional. Not only did not refund my friends, but he also totally lied about the amount of money that he would be returning.

My friend tried calling him on his cellular phone, JUN GUTIERREZ hung up on him and would not answer his succeeding calls.

The owner never made an effort to fix things -- it seems that he was only really after making money. In fact, he earned double for the same room.

While Ralph's Pension House is an okay place to stay, I am personally not comfortable with the management's dishonesty in dealing with their clients. Who knows what else are they capable of doing to their customers if someone like this "hides" and "avoids" their clients.

Coron is a beautiful place, there are other more accommodating and secure hotels or inns in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Chris L
Reviewed April 14, 2012

4 days & 3 nights unsatisfied..........

POSITIVE:
*cheap accommodation
*located at the heart of Coron town
*near the market
*near the restaurants
*they have unlimited coffee/mineral water (self-service)
*cold air-con

NEGATIVE:
*experienced the 15mins. brown out twice & i think it took the management that much time to be able to decide to use their generator.
*the two things that their generator will provide your room during brown-out is the wall fan and the dim light.
*rates doesn't include breakfast for two
*small & dirty bathroom. What made it even worse is the broken toilet flush after two uses. so we just used the pail to flush everytime since day one.
*asked us at around 11:00am to check-out at 11:30am when it's clearly stated in their printed & laminated rules & regulations copy in our room that 12noon is the check-out time
*no water heater when it was clearly stated in their website too that the rooms have hot & cold shower
*1st rule you'll encounter before entering the main door is that you have to remove your shoes/sandals every time your going inside the establishment
*the spiral staircase SUCKS big time because it serves as the only way going up to the main door. i don't know how this "hotel" got a business permit when it surely won't pass. (no fire exit too!) Imagine bringing up & down your luggage on that spiral staircase like i did.
*the cabinet is locked/tied behind the bed in our room. maybe our room serves also as a stock room.
*the management locks the main door at exactly 2am. so they'll let their guests sleep at the spiral stairs i guess.

We didn't complain to the management since day one but they tested my patience during our last day when they reminded us around 11am that the check-out time is 11:30am . I grabbed the laminated/printed copy of their rules & regulations in our room and showed it to the staff who knocked that it is clearly stated there that check-out time is 12 noon and it is also stated in their website too. I even exchanged text messages with the owner to confirm these rules before paying the 30 percent down payment that they're asking for reservation before arrival.

I read one review here also saying that the owner will not greet you anymore if you don't avail their tours. -TRUE! We passed by his table once and he didn't even bother to approach us or anything. Something you won't expect from the owner of a business establishment.

facilities & amenities needs so much improvement.
i think it will be much better if the owner will just hand the guests tour broshures and let them decide on their own if they will avail or not.

TIPS:
*for cheap tour packages try to visit www.corongaleri.com.ph the owners mae/al linsangan are very kind to their guests. they are very down to earth people. you will surely enjoy their group packages that are cheap. choose kuya paul as their tour guide & kuya rodic as their boat captain.

Room Tip: check reviews! read all the negative reviews first before booking.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple