“Great Diving”

Sunken Japanese Wrecks
Ranked #7 of 49 things to do in Coron
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great diving on the wrecks with average viz.
Best go for a dive owner who has an experienced DM like Divecal's Ron Edmond.

1  Thank IanKay2012

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Check them out. No matter how much you like reef dives, at least try a couple. The best way to do it is to NOT go to Coron town but to head out to the west side of the island, concepcion, sagrada, puerto del sol bay, stay out there and then it's only a couple minutes to the best wrecks, instead of TWO HOURS on the boat from Coron town!

3  Thank Sanctuaria T
Reviewed May 15, 2013

my husband prodded me to try scuba diving because snorkeling is not enough to appreciate coral reef, fish, and wrecks! i did a discovery scuba dive in pandan island near puerto princesa and enjoyed it very much. it is really like entering a different world. one has to see it to experience this world. this year, we went to coron for the corals and fish (of course) and for something new...shipwrecks! we signed up with divecal, another discovery dive for me (my husband is certified). our divemaster was a german, arnom and he really knows coron dive sites even with his eyes closed. i was also able to practice my german with him again, hehehe. he suggested lusong because according to him, the corals and fish there are beautiful and diverse, and the wreck is not so deep and also full of corals. my husband and i made two dives almost an hour each at 20-25 feet deep. only one word can cover the experience: breathtaking, not in a literal way but in an awesome, beautiful, out-of-this-world speechless way. the wreck is like a huge garden filled with corals and fish, so many that i have not seen before from my previous dive, aquarium visits, discovery channel, and books! after a gloomy election this raised my spirits and made me proud to be a filipino. truly our reefs are one of the best in the world and my husband (and our divemaster) agree. we should take care of them not only for tourism but for future generations. while i was diving, i was at peace, relaxed and felt like i was in (underwater) heaven! now i am very keen to get certified as a diver because of this. our divemaster says i can do it. don't miss lusong or coron for that matter if you want to see cool wrecks, amazing corals, and fish. just watch out for this tiny brownish pink fish that always looks at you up close and lunges towards your face in attack mode (no kidding) only at the last minute, swims to the side and goes away, maybe laughing. all of them does that, only in coron. all i can say to that fish is: auf wiedersehen!

4  Thank Vinroy
Reviewed May 12, 2013

It's mating season, so visibility is a bit obscured by plankton and eggs etc. but it does not take away the great experience of diving the wrecks. There is a rich variety of species, watch out for the unusual nudibranchs that live there.

1  Thank beachedmermaid
Reviewed April 30, 2013

It is unlike anything we've dived before! The dive center we picked suggested the Tangat Wreck and Mokazan Maru Wreck. both for advanced divers. I didn't know what to expect for the dives. As we descend to our first wreck dive, i was nervous and excited. As our dive master went in the ship, i was surprised at how dark it was! in my head i was thinking, "are we really going inside?" :) but fears aside, when you get inside, it was amazing to see how BIG the ship is!We penetrated the ships through the cargo holes and more! Poor visibility is an issue and you must always listen to the briefing of the guides. Never stray from the group. I suggest you have your dive torch when you do wrecks as it is dark inside specially as some of the ship wrecks lies on its side. PS it is not always asked if you have a dive torch nor the dive centers requires one, ASK for one! Also be careful who you dive with, some of the "divers" we dived with aren't even licensed, for me safety is first. But in Coron, dive centers are not very strict.

1  Thank YaneSam