“Wreck diver heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Wreck diver heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Coron is my favorite place to dive shipwrecks!!! In addition to all the exciting shipwrecks, the lagoons, volcanic islands, caves, lakes, hot springs and mangroves are just magical! We even saw a whale shark at one of the wrecks.

Toward the end of the Second World War, the American reconnaissance planes took surveillance photos of the Palawan Islands trying to locate the Japanese imperial fleet. They thought originally that the ships were one of the Philippines' 7,100 islands - until they compared surveillance photos taken over a period of time and noticed that the islands were moving! So they sent their bombers and attacked the ships while they were at anchor. This successful attack helped turn the tide of the war for the Allied Forces in the Philippines.

My preferred dive shop is Rocksteady Dive Center in Coron Town.

Visited October 2012

• Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“World class diving spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Coral reefs are amazing as it is, but diving with a sunken japanese ship underwater is definitely a phenomenal experience each diver should have. I regret that I never had a chance to dive on the deeper part of the wreck since this is my first stop in my Discover Scuba Diving Lessons. I was having a hard time managing my regulator if I wanted to go deeper - so im still learning! But at least, i reached 8meters under water and the view and the ship is already unforgiving! I was in awe the whole time flipping my fins.

While I was underwater, my parents stayed on shore and did some snorkeling and kayaking. They told me they can see the tip of the sunken ship as well with their goggles! So even though you are not diving, its worth to see this lake and enjoy the clear water. Bear in mind, its a world class diving site! Wouldn't hurt to atleast peek at the water below.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank annsherry
san juan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“1944 Ship Wreck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Located at the middle of the vast sea, the sunken ship believe have sunk during the world war, is being protected by the
aborigines. It is worth your trip, colorful fish will be waiting for your feeding. Dont forget to bring bread and of course your snorkel

Visited September 2012
1 Thank super2uring
Manila, Philippines
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Wreck Diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

from the boat, I was not able to see the shipwreck like the others did (maybe because it was high tide that time when I was there)
Fishes are everywhere- good think I have my snorkel on. The shipwreck is just below 10 feet... nice view. I heard that visible is 80 feet below...

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Shayne F
Perth, Australia
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“The wrecks are why we come here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The wrecks are why people come here. The Akitsushima, Irako and Okikawa Maru are the premium wrecks in the area, penetration is possible on all three wrecks with competent guides. There are plenty of freighters to explore, most have been salvaged but still interesting.The currents can get strong and don't expect perfect visibility.

Visited September 2011