“Unlikely place to eat pizza”
Review of Bistro Coron

Bistro Coron
Ranked #46 of 69 Restaurants in Coron
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Philippines
“Unlikely place to eat pizza”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

One would wonder why one should go to a restaurant in a coastal area and eat pizza, where the usual menu in eateries around are seafood. The pizza in Bistro Coron is the best I have tasted and much better than the ones served in any Italian restaurants in Metro Manila. It not only tastes good but is also cheap. The freshly baked bread also is perfect complement to the salad.

The food that they serve more than makes up for the lack of ambiance due to the small space and that fact that the restaurant is located along the main street.

• Korean first
  • Slovak first
Manila
“Discriminating..”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Our Coron trip was nice and all I can say is that eating in this restaurant was the only road bump we experienced. It was our last night and we wanted to do something special, and that is as simple as having a nice dinner on Coron's best resto. We asked around and they said that it's where foreigners eat. So we just went there wanted to try it out.

Indeed, there were a lot of foreigners, mostly Europeans and Koreans. We were a group of 11 so we expected that getting a seat would not be easy. However, we were treated as if we were not customers. They forced us to seat in a table good enough only for 8. The usual set-up is that if there's a vacant table (a small one good for two) we could just put it beside the long table as an extension, the waitress did not allow it even though there weren't any customers occupying it. Because my companions were really hungry (and they really wanted that French Apple Pie badly) they just complied. To my dismay, I just ordered and took a break outside as it was hot inside the restaurant.

The price of their food is quite expensive. The main course costs a minimum of 195 PHP up 700 PHP, depending on the dish. We thought that the serving was big, but it was just good enough for one. They have a wide range of selection from French to Italian, American and Filipino.

The service is where we were really disappointed. Sometimes, it's not about the food, it's the service. We really felt discriminated because the waitress was not getting our order right and was not smiling at all. The other waitresses would prioritize the foreigners despite us requesting or calling them first. Also, they did not even informed us that there was no apple pie. The one took our orders was even talking behind our back which was offensive. They also don't have service water and that they will only offer bottled water that's 1 Liter! sheesh! They were justifying that they only have tap water. So what do they use when cooking our food? Straight from the faucet water?!

For it's price, I'd rather go back to Manila and eat in TGIF or Italiani's even just to get what I paid for. In Coron, the best restaurant we ate was in Darayonan's lodge, which was priced fairly and cooked to our expectations.

Overall, it was not a nice experience eating in Coron Bistro. Ever had that feeling where you paid for an overpriced meal that is not worth it? Add the fact that it has lousy service and discrimination on your own country? Well, if you want to experience it, then go to Bistro Coron, for sure, that's what you will get.

4 Thank djtravelbug
Makati, Philippines
“Very Good Pasta and Pizza”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Bistro Coron was just recommended to us by one of the Bed and Breakfast owner in Coron. When my wife heard they serve good Pasta and Pizza, off we went to this place. Indeed, they were great. Just don't expect too much from the place.

2 Thank valueplustraveler
Manila, Philippines
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I went there and asked the owner Bruno if they can prepare something vegan off-the-menu. I can understand if he just said no. But he made a fuss about how I am in a non-vegan-friendly place, how he does not have time to explain the ingredients of his food to me, etc etc.

The rest of his staff, understandably, was equally unaccommodating (they were probably afraid of Bruno). In the end, I ordered vegetable pasta. I went home and got sick and threw up and had stomach problems that night.

My advice: stay away from Bistro Coron. Just go to the market, get fresh food, and have someone from your hotel cook it.

4 Thank angelicdaw