“Food Alright but Service is Slow ...”
Review of Bistro Coron

Bistro Coron
Ranked #48 of 74 Restaurants in Coron
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We ordered pasta and pizza, which the locals recommended. Pasta sauce (bolognese & basilico) were alright but the noodles left a starchy taste ... perhaps they need to switch to another brand. Pizza (de mare) was delicious ... crispy crust and generous topping.
Service was, however, slow ... you need to call the (lone) waiter for him to take your order, which is strange because we were the only customer at that time. He also forgot to provide us with what we asked for ... hot water, ice, etc. so we had to remind him a second or third time.
Also, use the toilet elsewhere ...

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We ate in this restaurant as it was mentioned in Lonely Planet.
I ate Cordon bneleu and it was not a Cordon Bleu, besides over priced.
My 8 y o son accidentaly broke his empty glass. They did not recognised nor cleaned it. When paying the bill, my son apologised for the glass, and the waiter recognising the situation said he has to add it in the bill, and went back. Then he added extra 3dollars for the ordinary glass. I talked with the woman who was in charge, that normally in this kind of situtation the drink is replaced and no extra charge is mentioned. She said if we do so, there will be no glasses left.
So I paid the extra money and left the restaurant with a bad taste in my mood.

3  Thank drbora
Reviewed May 20, 2010

One would wonder why one should go to a restaurant in a coastal area and eat pizza, where the usual menu in eateries around are seafood. The pizza in Bistro Coron is the best I have tasted and much better than the ones served in any Italian restaurants in Metro Manila. It not only tastes good but is also cheap. The freshly baked bread also is perfect complement to the salad.

The food that they serve more than makes up for the lack of ambiance due to the small space and that fact that the restaurant is located along the main street.

Reviewed May 4, 2010

Our Coron trip was nice and all I can say is that eating in this restaurant was the only road bump we experienced. It was our last night and we wanted to do something special, and that is as simple as having a nice dinner on Coron's best resto. We asked around and they said that it's where foreigners eat. So we just went there wanted to try it out.

Indeed, there were a lot of foreigners, mostly Europeans and Koreans. We were a group of 11 so we expected that getting a seat would not be easy. However, we were treated as if we were not customers. They forced us to seat in a table good enough only for 8. The usual set-up is that if there's a vacant table (a small one good for two) we could just put it beside the long table as an extension, the waitress did not allow it even though there weren't any customers occupying it. Because my companions were really hungry (and they really wanted that French Apple Pie badly) they just complied. To my dismay, I just ordered and took a break outside as it was hot inside the restaurant.

The price of their food is quite expensive. The main course costs a minimum of 195 PHP up 700 PHP, depending on the dish. We thought that the serving was big, but it was just good enough for one. They have a wide range of selection from French to Italian, American and Filipino.

The service is where we were really disappointed. Sometimes, it's not about the food, it's the service. We really felt discriminated because the waitress was not getting our order right and was not smiling at all. The other waitresses would prioritize the foreigners despite us requesting or calling them first. Also, they did not even informed us that there was no apple pie. The one took our orders was even talking behind our back which was offensive. They also don't have service water and that they will only offer bottled water that's 1 Liter! sheesh! They were justifying that they only have tap water. So what do they use when cooking our food? Straight from the faucet water?!

For it's price, I'd rather go back to Manila and eat in TGIF or Italiani's even just to get what I paid for. In Coron, the best restaurant we ate was in Darayonan's lodge, which was priced fairly and cooked to our expectations.

Overall, it was not a nice experience eating in Coron Bistro. Ever had that feeling where you paid for an overpriced meal that is not worth it? Add the fact that it has lousy service and discrimination on your own country? Well, if you want to experience it, then go to Bistro Coron, for sure, that's what you will get.

4  Thank djtravelbug
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Bistro Coron was just recommended to us by one of the Bed and Breakfast owner in Coron. When my wife heard they serve good Pasta and Pizza, off we went to this place. Indeed, they were great. Just don't expect too much from the place.

2  Thank valueplustraveler