Coron Gateway Hotel & Suites
  • Beachfront
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsjunior suitehuge bathtubisland hoppingmini fridgethe toilet seatfacing the seawifi connectionearly checkthe ground floorflat screen tvrestaurants and barsbeach towelsportpiertourshallwaycomfort
Reviewed May 4, 2010

stayed for 3 nights.

Accomodation
pro:
- contemporary spacious design
con:
- noisy. double pane windows would have been choice here

Service&Food
pro:
- my compliments to chef Bong
con:
- small portions

Location
pro:
- central
con:
- noisy, smelly

conclusion:
best value for the money, do your excursions from here instead of overrated/ overpriced resorts on the islands if you prefer to stay in comfortable surroundings. insist on even numbered room away from market/ karaoke bar.

1  Thank chrisbeitz
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I was initially choosing between different private island resorts, but I had decided against staying at one since I wasn't looking forward to sleeping in a room with no hot water or air conditioning, and having to contend with biting/stinging nocturnal insects.

I came across this hotel and was blown away by the size of the rooms - they looked amazing online... and were even better in person! They were of such high quality that I could've closed the curtains and imagined that I were in a serviced apartment in the middle of the city. The Junior Suite we stayed in had enough space for a small cocktail party!

About the location - the hotel sits right beside the pier, so you are literally just a few steps away from the boats that will take you on your island hopping expedition. Unfortunately, the noisy (videoke!) public market is also a few steps away, but our room was insulated well enough from the outside world so we hardly noticed any noise at night. TIP: Ask to be in a room on the side of the building furthest from the market.

We throroughly enjoyed the food (delicious!), but it was far from gourmet. Perfectly adequate, as another reviewer noted.

And the staff? I found them a joy to speak with - they were all eager to please and ready to help. (I actually lost one of their snorkels... they said "forget about it!" Not that I am encouraging everyone to start "losing" the hotel's equipment. They were just THAT accommodating!)

You cannot go wrong with this hotel! We opted for their 3 days / 2 nights package and never had to worry about planning our activities, or even where to eat for that matter! If you want to sleep in comfort after a long day in the sun, then this is where you want to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JasonOnVacation
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We spend 4 nights at the Coron Gateway Hotel. I booked it because it is new and I had read a lot about bugs and insects in other Coron hotels. We changed our room after the first night, because the room looked directly to the public market and this was loud early in the morning and we smelled the fish. The second room was better. The rooms are very spacious and nicely furnished, but do not provide a safety locker box, which is unusual for a hotel of this category and not good, since you you need a lot of cash in Coron, because credit cards are not widely accepted. The bathroom is also big and very stylish. Cleanliness is o.k.
The strange thing is the location: On one side you have the market (I knew this when I booked), on the other side is a huge construction site (though not really noisy). It seems that Coron is building kind of a promenade or park. We had breakfast in front of the hotel (the indoor restaurant is not very comfortable), but your almost sitting on a huge place with just gravel. So don't expect a typical vacation hotel!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Main_nixie
Reviewed November 10, 2009

A summer of heaven, if you want to relax and enjoy nature, this place is the best place to be and staying at Coron Gateway Hotel, we experience comfort. Come and visit Coron...you can have your reservation by calling this numbers [--]

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank pathfinder09
Reviewed October 22, 2009

If this hotel would tighten up on some of it's services and amenities, it would easily destroy all the competition in Coron right now. Sea Dive seems to have the best services and restaurant right now, but Coron Gateway easily has the best rooms. We really appreciated our stay here as the rooms were very clean and comfortable. The price is quite a bit higher than every other hotel in the area, but still very well worth it. I have a feeling this place will improve and grow into itself in the near future as it looks to have been built very recently. For now, it's the only place I'd stay in the Coron area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple