“Great Location but Owner needs to re-assess operation”

Coron Gateway Hotel & Suites
Ranked #47 of 67 Coron B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Location but Owner needs to re-assess operation”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic. It is next t the town market and walking distance to restaurants. The owner invested good money on the interior but the operation and current status of the hotel is sad. The front line staff is friendly but seems not well versed on how to handle multiple tasks. There is no local phone number that I can access - the one on the website is a Manila number; the hallways are dark, wires dangling on the hallway. stains on the carpet; housekeeping carts are left on the hallway with the broomstick sticking out - a potential hazard. On multiple times, I have seen staff go in and out of rooms. I am not sure if they are staying in the vacant rooms or relaxing, but It does not look good nevertheless.
I would recommend that the owner update their policies, do a walk through of the entire property to improve the operation. Front line staff are good-natured and willing to serve but need to be educated and trained on several scenarios regarding hospitality and customer service. I think this place would be a fabulous venue if the operation is improved up to par.
Pros: friendly staff, but not very helpful at times due to lack of knowledge of some info - no list of local number of restaurants etc. The fried egg plant in the restaurant was amazing. I recommend it to all as an appetizer.
Con: Get the internet service up to the rooms, not just the lobby - it should not be that hard.

Room Tip: choose the room away from the market, unless you want to hear the noise day in and day out.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Big spacious rooms with beautiful view of the bay! A little pricey but great value.

Easy access to the market, the bay, restaurants and the big cross of coron which you can hike to.

Wonderful time there and will definitely go back with friends again.

Recommend doing the island hopping tour as it is worth it! Bring an underwater camera and take beautiful photos in the lagoon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've been to Coron on several occasions and find that this hotel happens to be one of the best.

Pros:

Beds are very comfortable, bathroom is super clean, hotel staff is very attentive and kind. Hard to find a hotel, let alone a resort, as nice as this without shelling out a lot of cash. This was reasonably priced.

Neutral:

The toilet SEAT had round edges but the toilet BOWL was rectangular in shape. We found this odd.

Cable TV/Internet was not working, but we let this pass because the hotel was still recovering from typhoon Yolanda.

Cons:

Heater in our junior suite (308) would always switch off. I probably had to call house keeping twice to have them switch it on and after observing how they used a screwdriver to push a particular button, I decided to do it myself. My aunt and her husband did not encounter this same problem.

The hotel is located beside Coron's public market so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 17Reese
Baguio, Philippines
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5D/4N last November. It was an anniversary gift to ourselves. Although the hotel's restaurant suffered massively from Yolanda's onslaught, the rest of the hotel was still comfortable. Our room was very comfortable. The bath tub was always a welcome respite after our very exciting. adventurous and physically demanding day tours.

The staff were quite alright BUT there are a lot of areas where they are wanting. For example, our flight going to Coron was cancelled. We were calling the hotel to inform them of the flight change, I mean shouldn't they be worrying that their client is nowhere to be found in Busuanga airport? Finally we were able to email their Makati office and informed them of the flight changed. The good side is they adjusted our stay, still accommodating us for 5D/4N.

The hotel is near the public market and a lot of restaurants, from the cheapest foodstands to the go-to places. Food was not a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for the Junior Deluxe room nearest to the bay, room 201. It offers an excellent view of the bay...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramsgate, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Taila Neville and her friend Rhianna Hall are booked in to a hotel with a Presidential suite with a jacuzzi in Coron. The hotel is three streets back from the water and it's a brick building.
Other than this, I don't have any other information to give you but hope you can help.
They were booked in there during the typhoon and we haven't heard from them since.
Taila is a New Zealand citizen and Rhianna I think is Australian.

I would be very grateful for any help I can get please

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Everything has been said about this hotel is true. But I would like to take time to acknowledge and recognize the honesty of their staff especially Errol and Otoy (hope I got their names right.) After check-out, on my way way to the airport these two gentlemen stopped our van… to return the envelop i left inside the safe - yes my money!!! Amount is relative, but for me it was a lot. Thank you,thank you, thank you. You have no idea how your honesty touched me. I hope you will be rewarded someday. I hope to meet you again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Liza C
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My bf and I stayed here for 5 days and we fell in love with the room itself. The hotel could give you 5 star hotel experience. I have been to Acacia hotel Alabang- 4 star luxury hotel and even to Crimson hotel Alabang. Coron Gateway could give you more than luxury hotels can provide. From lavish bathtub, toilet, shower area and so much more. Let’s start with the things that WOWED me. 1. Shelves- lots of storage area can be found in the room. From bathroom, dresser area and besides bed. 2. Bathroom- very clean, it has shower room, bath tub and toilet has bidet. All types of towel was placed accordingly on this room. 3. Ventilation 4th. Smoking area- veranda though it’s small and half of the view is the market, you could still see the bay at far. It’s really nice to smoke and think anything with the view of the sea. 5th. Bed- it has comforter, clean pillows and it’s really nice to just relax there while watching TV. 6th mini fridge 7th safety box 8th. Electric kettle- I and my boyfriend usually woke up early and we spent hour’s chitchats over a cup of coffee. 9th Location- at market place, yes! But convenient. If you are in a tight budget carinderya is everywhere. Mini groceries few steps away and a lot more. Who cares about exterior??? If the only bay park in Coron were just in front of the hotel-Perfect for a romantic bay walks.10th. they served delicious heavy meal breakfast - unlimited coffee at Kayangan restaurant and they accepts credit card payment. Off Couse wonderful things has its flaws, WIFI connection- we have to stay outside the door to get fast internet connection but never the less, I would say that asides from my Boracay trip the hotel makes my Coron trip the 2nd unforgettable Getaway for me so far. I mean I have been to Boracay, Cebu, Bohol, Puerto princesa etc. but I would crown Coron Gateway for what their rooms could provide. I can’t explain my satisfaction further. Just look at the pictures attached on this review. I have plan to go back with our future kids someday.

Room Tip: Bay View Room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple