“great quality rooms”

Coron Gateway Hotel & Suites
Ranked #42 of 70 Coron B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Me and 3 other friends stayed at this hotel for 3d2n for a discounted price. Got the 50% off voucher from Ensogo inclusive of dinner.

RESERVATION - pretty okay. Ms. Michelle sent me an email w/ the attached file of their tour package and rates (so expensive - which made me avail somewhere else).

CHECKin and CHECKout - We arrived at 12pm. Unfortunately, the reserved Executive Suite for us is still being cleaned by housekeeping. Front desk allowed us to use a Jr. Suite room so we can leave our baggage and change for our 1pm tour that day. Had no problems upon check-out. We handed the keys, I took some pictures and we left.

ROOMS - Amazing. Super. Cool. Perfect. Hotel quality rooms, really. The Jr. Suite is awesome. It has a queen size bed, love seat, flat screen TV, tub, toilet w/ bidet, split-type aircon. We couldn't stop taking pictures :D The Executive suite has 2 queen size beds and pretty much the same as the Jr. Suite except for the love seat. Hot shower is really hot. Ow, I remember we had some problems with the Air conditioning unit at Room210. I thought there was power loss because the room feels really hot, like the ac is in Fan mode or something. No WiFi connection in the rooms.

FOOD - didn't like it. Bland. The restaurant looks great, formal table setting with complete silver wares. WiFi is available there but it's very weak to not working at all.

OTHERS - The hotel provides beach towels that you can bring during tours even if you will not avail of theirs. You may also request for extra pillows. Amenities in the room includes 8 bottles of water, organic soap, toothpaste, shampoo (Head & Shoulders) :D If you want to have towels replaced the next day, put it on the floor. If you are a gadget person, you'll definitely like the rooms because there's outlet everywhere. I think I saw at least 8 if I'm not exaggerating :)

STAFF - great housekeeping and front desk staff. Always smiling. The staff at the restaurant are also welcoming and accommodating. Thanks y'all!

I never experienced the "NOISE" other reviewers are talking about. I think because our room is on the other side of the hotel facing the port. Had a great veranda to watch the sunrise.

I'll be coming back to Coron next year for sure. If given the same affordable rate, I'll definitely stay here again because of their rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sunlust

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Even with booking reservations, these people are huge snobs. I had to email three times and call 4 times and be persistent just to get a straight answer from them regarding the bookings. This was irritating but nowhere near as irritating as our experience with them.

It all started October 27th, our 3:15 flight to Busuanga got delayed a few hours which led to it being CANCELLED. We rebooked a flight the next morning, and while we were a little pacified with Cebu Pac's provided accommodation, we tried to negotiate an extension with Coron Gateway's reservation officer through our mobile. This Connie Lugo, she was EXTREMELY RUDE to us, complaining why we called at 7pm when she was already out of the office when we weren't even talking to her that way even though we were pissed. She passed us back and forth to the hotel's supervisor, and on her final call, she was YELLING at us over this misunderstanding regarding the refund on our first night.

So fine, hotel policy had no refunds so we negotiated a discount nalang on our one-day extension. They said they'll be giving a 30% discount. And we agreed since we were tired already.

Just so you know, the original rate we paid for was P3,950 per night for 3 nights. Come checkout, the person at the front desk charged P4,400, and I asked, "I thought you were giving a 30% discount??" This made her uncomfortable and then charged us P3,950 again. And I asked again, "Why P3,950? I thought you were giving us a 30% discount??" And she said that that was the 30% off from the super peak rates. We were there from October 28-31 and that's not even super peak yet! So how come they computed the 30% off from the ****ing super peak rates??? My guess would be so naive customers wouldn't make much of a fuss since they'll think they're given a discount, when it's just the REGULAR RATE. So there. I did wish I argued about that but I didn't since we were so so exhausted from the whole trip and just wanted to go home back in Manila.

It is such a shame though because they have great rooms. We were really comfy in our beds, the bathroom was really clean, and the room service people were not bad. And contrary to the other reviewers who said the Town View Jr. Suite stank of market in the morning and is really noisy - well we didn't have much of a problem with that. Oh, and also go buy your food somewhere else, Coron Gateway's are overpriced and not that good for our taste. There are way better food choices outside town.

It's just really disappointing their service is bull.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yveeee
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had stayed in Dive Link resort for two nights, we decided on the last night to be in the city proper, and chose Coron Gateway.

It was such a startling contrast to the simplicity or the rural surroundings and the "island" experience.

We went to the beach to enjoy the beach ambiance, bamboo huts, white sand, blue waters and on our last night we were treated to luxury in Coron Gateway.

Its location is right on the boat pier, where all the tours will leave. Its right beside the public market. This is a curse and a blessing. A curse, because it can get noisy and smelly at times, especially if your room is fronting the market. But a blessing as the souvenirs, dive companies, fresh fruit and seafoods are a few steps away. All you have to do is go down, the stairs. Its located in a great part of town, it has a view of Coron Bay, which is excellent for both sunrise and sunset, its fronting the baywalk which is great for picture taking, strolling around, watching the locals, and eating native street food (taste the bbq if you get a chance).

The rooms are hotel like, spacioius, clean, big queen size bed with soft pillows a thick comforter, a sofa, 32" LCD tv with cable, spacious bathroom with a glass shower, a bath tub, refrigerator and safe. I felt like i was in a hotel in manila or abroad. We got room 302 which was facing the baywalk and had a wonderful view. It was also quiet and on the other side of the market.

After all the "roughing it" of the first few days we took a long shower, soaked in the bath tub and had a great sleep. I watched a movie, packed my bags and just relaxed.

The rooms was spacious, my kids would have loved all the free room. I slept like a baby under the warm sheets and was a wonderful end to our adventure in Paradise.

They have a reastaurant on the ground floor that serves a 5 - choice buffet for dinner and breakfast. My wife enjoyed the dinner buffet (P350 per head) and had her fill of chilli crabs. I had a pot roast for dinner (P280) and it was dry but very tasty. Breakfast was good and filled me up, with the choices of eggs, ham, beef tapa and sausages, along with fruits, coffee and juice. (Buffet breakfast usually included in the room rates but costs P225 per head if not). On saturday night there was also a fire dance show for the guests oustide the restaurant which drew quite the crowd.
I also tried some exotic foods for our last lunch. I had the kinilaw na mulmol (Raw parrot fish in vinegar) it was gooooooodddd! Very fresh and spicy. Its considered a delicacy in Coron. I also tried the coconut endong in curry (native eel in curry coconut curry sauce). Bit chewy for me, but the flavor was good.

Service is like regular hotel where we ordered snacks and coffee at night, service was prompt and the team was very accommodating.

It was great for souvenir shopping, there is a shop right beside the entrance that has a great items and reasonable prices, or you can go to everly's a short tricycle ride away (P8 per head) for more items.

We also bought some sea food at the market (Crabs and Rock lobsters) had it cooked by the restaurant for a minimal fee of (P150) and brought it back to manila as "pasalubong".

Pros: 24x7 electricity c./o their generator. It was wonderful to come to a nice cool room after going souvenir shopping in the town proper. The stores were small and hot as they did not have power, but we were pleasantly surprised to find our room cool as the hotel has a generator.
Excellent location.
Great rooms.
Cons: no hot water, but i got use to this.
Its a bit more expensive than any other resort in the town proper. But you're paying for the ambiance, the comfort of 24x7 electricity, and you're paying for a 3 star hotel in a 1 star area. No other resort in Coron gives as much class as Gateway.

Room Tip: We booked our stay through a travel agency in manila (Shore to Shore travel) terry@shore2shore-trave...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KingBee32
Reviewed September 25, 2011

weve seen the review from tripadvisor thats why we stay in a new hotel at coron hilltopview,but after one sleepless nite me and my wife checkout and moved to gateway hotel with almost the same price but double the room size,the noise and activity at the town proper are bearable since after 7pm,things quiet down.The price of this hotel is not cheap but we should not expect too much from them since Coron is not Manila,thier facilities are good yet the most i like is that it is really a gateway to everything,from island hoping where the pier is just beside the hotel,and buying seafood and had them cooked at the restaurant from 150 to 200 per kilo,it is the best way to prepare your lunch and dinner than ordering from thier menu,since the wet market is at the back of the hotel,we had bought a 2 kilo giant king crab for 700 pesos and had them cooked 2 ways for 350 pesos only,its the biggest crab i had in my life and yet staff tells me that they even once saw a 5 kilo one,also i had bought 1 kilo of baby lobster at 600 pesos and 1 kilo of pink lapu lapu for 120 pesos,it will cost me a fortune for me to taste this kind of seafood in Manila,thats why i recomend this hotel for people who want convenience and good food even the hotel itself is a little bit pricey.

Room Tip: Higher floor had a better view
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnwong65
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My relatives and I stayed in Coron Gateway Hotel for 2 nights. I've read lots of reviews about the hotel and some of them are negative but I still chose to stay there since it is situated in the city center.

The rooms are nice and very spacious but there are some glitches. Hot shower is not working properly, water from bidet is dripping on the floor, water pressure is not that strong to supply water in the bathroom, SERVICE NEEDS IMPROVEMENT and yes, you can hear the sound of the pig screaming.

The good thing about this property is its location. Its the only hotel situated in the city, near the shops and the pier/port.

The hotel has potential. They just have to invest more on the property and on its manpower.

Maybe I would still consider staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2011

First things first, they offer free ride to and from the airport. This hotel is situated right along the port where little motorized boats dock and at the back is the wet market where you can get a crabs for just 350/kilogram. When we were there, the surrounding of the hotel wasn't finished yet but we didn't mind since the room we got was huge, clean, and got a terrace overlooking out onto the busy port with the backdrop of other islands. As for the pricing, let's say it was kind of on the expensive side. 400USD for a 3-night stay which includes full-board meals (not buffet though). You won't be spending the whole day there but you'd be glad to have a good bed and a relaxing bath in a tub filled with cool water since your body will be overheating from the day's activities which is mostly spent under the hot sun. By the way, you can buy fish and crabs or lobsters at the market and have it cooked at the hotel's kitchen. It is for a fee of course but not much, around 5USD. At night, there is a group of firedancers who would be very eager to teach you. All in all, my stay in Coron Gateway was fabulous.

Room Tip: Just tell them what kind of room you want.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Booked a 3d/2n package thru Ensogo at half the price inclusive of dinner. Wouldn't pay nor stay here if it's on a regular price. Hotel has it's advantages like it's near the jetty port and has electric generator which comes handy since there is no power in the island from 1 AM til 1 pm. And I think, it's the only place in the island that accepts card transactions. However, thats the only good thing I can say about this hotel.
Upon check-in, you feel like you're left to your own devices. Front desk just hands you your keys and then that's it. Reception staff needs further training,tried ringing the front desk couple of times and no one answers the phone.So ended up going there myself to get whatever I need.
The restaurant needs further improvement. Prices are expensive even compared with Manila restos but the food is not worth it. On the two nights that we're there, my kids didn't fancy the food that came with the package so we ended up ordering a la carte. But even that doesn't live up to our very basic expectations. The chow mien noodles are still raw and hard and the spaghetti bolognese which took them 45 minutes to prepare tastes bland and has little sauce.
They should re-assess their prices otherwise they would lose their business. It's not worth it and travellers can get a better deal elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family