“Friendly Staff..”

Ranked #24 of 61 Coron B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Friendly Staff..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed here years back and just made my review now for some odd reason. The room that I stayed was the biggest, bed is a bit hard and uncomfortable, small pillows but the bathroom is really nice!

Food is fine, I ate danguet.

Near town proper.

Very quiet at night (good thing)

Staff are very friendly! Would love to come back because of them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NORTH POLE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the Princess of Coron for 4 nights and had an excellent experience. The room was simple and large enough for two people, bed was comfortable, aircon was adequate, and atmosphere was peaceful. The blue and white exterior lighting illuminated the neighborhood and really jazzed up the place. The hotel was only a 5 minute walk from the BPI ATM, 10 minutes from the public market, and about 15 from the boat launches, and generally close enough to anything in town, thus not requiring a tricycle ride. The staff was pleasant and easy to work with. My only complaint was that I had to wait 30 minutes or longer for my simple breakfast to arrive, and I was only one of 3-8 customers eating at the time. While I appreciate the relaxed atmosphere and understand the slower Filipino pace, the wait seemed excessive. Bottom line, i highly recommend staying here. The price was right for the service and location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Understand how most of the island works on a really laid back mentality. People are friendly, there's never a rush, life is simple.
Then you can appreciate the atmosphere the Princess of Coron can offer. They have very spacious rooms that offer the basic amenities, bed, hot shower, air conditioning... The grounds have a small pool and a cage with a collection of stray cats, a "bear cat" (I don't know what the actual species was but it was a little interesting) and a monkey.
For best results with booking, e-mail carmen.hausmann@yahoo.com We lucked out getting there without a reservation and getting a large room for 5.
It's about a 10 min walk to the market/water and town. When we were there the town was on rotating backouts with 8 hour intervals so you're either out of power from 10am - 4pm or 4pm -12am. The generators took care of pretty much everything except for the AC so when we were on the evening sched we pretty much drank beer until the power came back on.
Boat trips are pretty standard anywhere from P1800 - P4000 depending on where you want to go. Booking at the hotel is easy but if you like haggling then you can probably geet the trips arranged yourself at the dock.
If you don't dive, the most visible wreck is the Lusong, it's shallow enough to see by snorkeling. There are a number of WWII wrecks in the area and provides for great diving. A lot of the reefs provide spectacular views of coral and tropical fish. Kayanga Lake (80%fresh water/20%sea) is an interesting place to lounge around and the trek up to it provides the iconic shot most tourists will see in books and websites about Coron.
For beaches head to Malcapuya Island and Banana Island which is quite a boat ride out but is the best beach in the area.
In town for good food check out "Lolo Nonoy's" for some really good Pork BBQ and embutido. "Kawayanan", which is probably the best eats in town with really good Crocodile Sisig and Chili Cheese Sticks (battered peppers injected with cheese served with sweet chili sauce) - this place is a good spot to sit and enjoy some beers.
If you're all "oceaned-out", rent a bike and check out the countryside. There are a number of trails and farm lands you can head out to. Ask one of the locals to draw you a map to see the 7 Falls as well motor through the dirt roads and provide fleeting entertainment for the locals.
Have Fun!!!

Room Tip: The two rooms by the pool are huge so if you have a big group try to make sure you land one of these...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My stay was from 1/8 to 1/12 focused on SCUBA diving the Japanese WWII shipwrecks. The Princess of Coron is a great place to stay and was just one street off National Highway away from all the traffic noise. This was close enough for me to walk to the Coron Public market, marina, ATMs, and restaurants. You can wait for a tricycle from the hotel to anywhere in town if you are in a hurry. But this is the Philippines, there is no reason to be in a hurry, right? WIFI is available in the reception area and the nipa hut dining area. The room A/C will keep you chilled very well and there is hot water in the shower. Both feel great after a day of diving. Princess of Coron is well prepared for the regular brownouts with their own generator. During a brownout the room A/C is not available but the fan and lights are just fine. There are a good collection of cats in a large cage which is kind of unusual, but better than having that many running loose. They have western style breakfast and filipino style breakfast. They seemed surprised that a foreigner would eat the Filipino breakfast every day of danggit and rice. No problem for me, the best part of vacation is the local food and people. They typically like for you to dine in the nipa hut, which is kind of romantic. Since I was a lone diver, I decided to dine in the kitchen and watch them work and chat a bit. It has more of a family atmosphere and the wife of the owning couple may also join you when they arrive. Talking with the locals is always interesting to me also. The pool always looked clear, clean, and inviting, but I did not use it as I was typically returning from diving all day and just needed a warm shower. The staff was friendly and accommodating to my requests. If you need something, just ask the staff and they will do their best to make things work for you. The husband of the owning couple also has a Harley and Suzuki GSXR kept in the hotel garage. Since I also own 3 bikes, one being a GSXR, I spoke with him about how these poor bikes will not have their full potential used on the island. Since we spoke through his wife’s translation of Austrian, I may not have completely understood the connection between riding the bikes and the Busuanga airport runway. But I have a hunch that he can occasionally get them pretty close to redline on the tach.
There are lots of tourist type activities in Coron, Mt. Tapyas, Barracuda Lake, Maquinit hot springs, eco tours, and island hoping. Traveling from the Busuanga airport into Coron is over 1 hour drive. The route is very scenic through rural countryside and twisting roads. Talk with the driver, they enjoy telling you about Coron and are curious about your origin as well. SCUBA diving the wrecks was my focus, so I will return for more diving and include tourist activities. Since Coron is far from major cities like Manila, cash is used mainly. So be prepared with your ATM card or a bankroll of pesos. Throuhgout the islands, there is a 200 PHP withdrawal fee on top of what your bank charges. My ATM card from a US based bank worked just fine.
Overall I give thumbs up recommendation for the Princess of Coron. Good clean accommodations, friendly people, nice location, and cost effective room price. It would be nice if the breakfast was included in the price, but it is still good to eat.
I’ll be back again to dive more shipwrecks and will be staying at the Princess of Coron. Also be sure to take in the views while on the flight. I could feel the stress being released as the plane made its approach to the Busuanga airport.

Room Tip: This is the Philippines, bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ladysmith, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our experience with this hotel was only average. First, the hotel's website and email booking didn't work; only after contacting the hotel thru facebook did we receive any response. Though minor, I found that odd and inconvenient.

Our room was quite large and clean enough. The room was not cleaned at any time of our 3 night stay. The chairs/bench in the room were impossibly uncomfortable but that is a minor issue. The hot water shower worked very well and the bathroom was very bright and clean.

The staff at the front desk were rather lukewarm with their welcome and service. Having to pay cash was annoyingly inconvenient - another trip down the hill to the ATM. Another minus was our request to have breakfast at a certain time (within their set times for breakfast) in order to make transport to another island. We nervously watched the owner and other guests being served while 20 minutes few past.

While we were relieved that the 'zoo' was discontinued and apparently is used to house stray cats (noble enough), the resultant smell needed some attention. One pathetic monkey remained in a cage near the front desk.

The pool seemed well taken care of and inviting. The garden area in front of the rooms was fine enough but quite basic. Noise (motorcycle traffic & roosters) was average for the Philippines though a large number of roosters are located on both sides of the resort well within earshot.

While this hotel was okay, I can't help but think that one could do better for rate, service and location elsewhere in Coron Town. I don't recommend this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ceibaforest
Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

i went here with my friends. my sister recommended this place. i and my friends enjoyed our stay here. the room is good for the three of us. the bathroom is clean. our room is cold due to the aircon. the owner is very friendly. this place is affordable too. there is a nearby restaurant. but be careful at night coz it's very dark outside. it's a province so light posts are very far from one another.so if you dont have a vehicle and you need to walk to go back to your place, arm yourself with flash lights.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We booked our accommodation for four nights way ahead of  time through their agent (Occupancy Plus) but was informed ten weeks later that they had to "transfer" us to another hotel on the fourth night due to "a conflict in the room [we] had booked". To cut the long story short, suffice to say that the agent did not lay everything down on the table all at once.  I felt bullied and disadvantaged over the fact that I had paid all my money upfront.

We stayed for three nights in a family room.  It was okay and clean except for the fact that there were only two dim lights in the room.  A third (and main) ceiling light socket was sealed off permanently. The dim light made the room so dreary at night that we were glad to get out of the place at the end of our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family