“Good Location, Good Price”
Review of Princess of Coron

Princess of Coron
Ranked #22 of 65 Coron B&B and Inns
Beijing, China
“Good Location, Good Price”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in August after spending a few days at Sunz en Coron. These two places are an interesting contrast. Both have around the same number of units and are located away from the center of town (though Princess is closer). But Princess of Coron has a completely different vibe. While Sunz en Coron has two little lap dogs than man the place, here there are enclosures with birds, cats (?!), and monkeys. (You can hang out with the cats, but I wasn't about to enter the cage containing those fiesty little simians.) Overall, it has a homier feel than Sunz en Coron. It's also cheaper and older. We had a room with a queen bed and a bunk bed. Unfortunately, two of us woke up the first night with painfully itchy bites on our abdomens. We couldn't identify the perps---though I thought they were bedbugs---and sprayed ourselves with Deep Woods Off, which seemed to keep the critters away. The next day, as I was lying on the bed, I found tiny ants crawling over the same part of my body. After another good spraying, the ants weren't a problem the second night. A/C worked well (until municipal power went off at 1 a.m.), but was loud, the lighting in the room was horrible, and we had to request new towels after the first night. (Nobody had even tried to make up the room.) But the shower was much more satisfying than the one at Sunz en Coron. A bit of a mosquito trap, and watch out for falling mangoes!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank knickherboots

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Prior to arriving to the Princess of Coron, the van that we took stopped along a number of other loding houses. I wasn't really expecting too much from the place given how simple all the others looked like from the outside. Upon arriving, it turned out to be a very quaint accommodation with a homey touch to it.

Just past the gate, the right side is pretty much occupied by the pool and the nipa huts where they serve breakfast for most of the guests. To the left are two huge cages which has monekys in one and some cats in the other. Following the path along the middle (well somewhat middle) would take you to the reception.

There was ample lighting all throughout the place especially at night. The staircase had these automatic lights that turned on as you approached unlit areas of the building. The room that we got was extremely clean and cozy. Electricity was available on and off BUT to be fair to the Princess of Coron, it was beyond their control since the whole island's supply was not really at par with that of the metro. They did have a backup generator that supplied the resort with lighting and proper ventilation.

Staff were extremely courteous and approachable. Just ask nicely and they would be more than willing to help you with whatever you needed. If you don't know where to have lunch or dinner, simply ask them and indicate what you have in mind. They'll quickly give you some directions and sometimes the price range. They even offered to have the driver take us (without charge) to where the cheapest cashew nuts were sold. Beat that!

Best to book with the hotel directly in my opinion. contact them via princessofcoron@yahoo.com or Carmen.hausmann@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank marc_keng
Reviewed July 5, 2011

If you want an affordable yet comfortable stay in coron then choose princess of coron. It's definitely worth the money I paid for.

1. Cleanliness - the whole site is well maintained and well kept. The landscaping, the pool, and everything else is very well maintained.

2. Location - the location is perfect as it's located in the coron town proper. It's accessible and close to stores, restaurants, banks and even the police station. It's not along the national highway so the hustle and bustle sounds of the cars and tricycles are not much of a problem.

3. Rooms - the rooms you see in the website is the actual room you'll see when you arrive there. At times web pics tend to exaggerate but not princess of coron. What you see is what you get. The restroom was nice and clean. Hot shower's working perfectly. The aircon's whole day and whole night. I just wish they put coffee tables/study tables inside the room and a hair dryer. The tv was kinda small, nevertheless there was cable tv. Uhm, a minor glitch during our stay is that the room smelled bad as one of the sheets were not properly washed and dried. The whole room smelled like sour feet but when we told the staff such problem they replaced everything asap.

4. Service - the people were kind and hospitable and really helpful. They even lent us plates and utensils when we decided to take out dinner and eat in the hotel instead. They also lent us hair dryers upon request. They didn't even care about the fact that we are filipino tourists, as there was fair and equal treatment for tourists whether filipino or foreign. Just one thing, order your breakfast in advance as the high demand and long queues are sort of unbearable in the morning. The food they serve was great though. :)

5. Value - we got a very good deal from the travel agency and what we paid for, I must say, was definitely worth it. It was an excellent stay, a memorable one at that.

I would definitely recommend princess of coron!

P.S. Having WI-FI is a bonus! Good job! I needed to finish papers while on vacation and the wifi connection saved me from the bother of renting out computers in shops!

Perfect!

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank rlpv
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 1, 2011

me and my friends stay there last june 2011.. the place is beautiful and the staff and owner are friendly.. my only concerns are:
1. their was a GECKO in our room! we informed the staff about it ..but surprisingly the staff just told us that he'll just removed it tomorrow and they did not even bother to resolve our concern.
2. my friends got bug bites from their mattress,even though we replace the bed sheet.
3. and the tour...its good and wonderful but we felt that they trick us in some ways..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank freaky_14
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Clean place with nice friendly owners in the middle of town at an affordable price. what else can you ask for? Very relaxed atmosphere, and we spent an hour or two hanging out while the kids played with the cats and monkeys. I would stay here agaain, but some things to note:
1. They only let you run the aircon from 4 or 5pm until 5am. There is electricity during the day, but not for aircon. Same with cable TV (none during the day). But most people are not hanging out in their rooms in Coron during the day. However, it was slightly a pain as we felt we could NOT hang out in our room since it was so hot.
2. There is no water pressure in room 6. Very very little.
3. When we first arrived, there were a bunch of bugsin the room - mosquitos, spiders, and ants. We asked for some spray, which they gave us, and that seemed to do the trick for the rest of the 2 days there. However, we notice that the doors and windows dont really seal well.
4. We really enjoyed the Coron Island tour. I wish we could have also gone to the coral gardens, as our guide said the snorkeling was quite good there.
5. The place is very small - I think just 6 rooms, so it books up quite fast!
6. There is not much to do in Coron town. The hike to the peak is nice, but the town itself is quite small.
7. Roosters will wake you up at 5am, when the aircon goes off. But I think thats true for anywhere in town.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sfgirl3
Sydney Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2011

It took me awhile to make a decision in booking Princess of Coron when my family went on holiday last Christmas (Dec 17-23 2010). I relied mostly on the reviews made on trip advisor and I was right. I made a very good call.
My family ( my wife & 5 adult kids 23-18yrs) traveled every year to different places/countries & our stay in Princess of Coron is one of the cherished holidays we had.Our stay in Princess of Coron made it memorable.
The room (Nony) assigned to us is big enough to fit 7 people & the bathroom is huge, The staff made sure that the room is clean & tidy everyday.
We had our breakfast on the front patio of our room directly opposite the pool & cooked in the resort for a meager sum. The kitchen staff are very helpful & corteous. They would set up our meals to any part of the resort from the cabanas around the garden to the top deck overlooking the whole of Coron.
May & Rochelle had assissted me in organizing our itineraries, negotiating with the boatman & airport transfer. Mr Hausmann (Erich) has been generous in letting my kids use his jetski for the cost of petrol only & they had a fantastic time.
Special mention to Carmen Hausman who drove my kids including my wife & I around the island. Carmen is the workhorse of the resort, the owner, the worker, the receptionist, information bureau, a good friend, a chat buddy rolled into one.
I extended my invitation to Carmen & Erich to visit us in Sydney so the family could return the hospitality that they had let us felt.
My wife & I feel in love with Coron & we are currently negotiating a place to buy for our retirement & perhaps our kids will visit us someday.
Princess of Coron is worth recommending to everyone who wants to have fun & worry free holiday in Coron.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank FunFamily888
philippines
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Long overdue review for the Princess of Coron. Stayed there last May 2010 with my husband and 3 sons. Our sons loved the pool, we loved the spaciousness of the rooms and the huge bathroom. Good food and very nice place, easy walking distance to the town establishments but far enough from the noise. What made POC wonderful, are the people and staff. When my son got sick, the owner went out of her way to help us and referred us to a doctor. In choosing hotels or lodging places to stay, aside from the facilities, the staff and how helpful and courteous they are during your stay is very important. The owner, Ms. Carmen Haussman was a big help to us during our stay. They even gave us a refund when we had to cut short our trip and go back to Manila. Not all hotels would do this. Since we had to cut short our vacation last time...we're going back this February..and guess where we will be staying? In our home in Coron ...Princess of Coron.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family