“Coron Village Lodge - Hassle-free vacation”

Coron Village Lodge
Ranked #18 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Coron
Reviewed May 30, 2009

My family and I went to Coron last April 30-May 1, it was indeed a very wonderful experience and our stay would have been perfect (except for the bad weather). But we still had fun!

For our accommodation and tour package, we choose Coron Village Lodge's tour package #5 which includes 4 days 3 nights accommodation, 9 meals w/ snacks, 2 days of island hopping, 1 day at Calauit (safari tour), etc. Since it didn't stop raining during our first 2 days in Coron, the lodge owner, Wilot, has advised us that we cannot push through with the Calauit tour anymore for safety reasons (road was too muddy / slippery). Too bad.. but anyway, we got a refund! :) We just spent our last day doing DIY tour around town.

**What we liked about CVL:
1. Their website is really helpful ((www.coronvillagelodge.com) - they have different set of packages that you can choose from.
2. Their package already includes airport/tricycle transfers, meals/snacks, tour guides, entrance fees, etc. which made our planning easier.
3. The lodge staff are very friendly.
4. Very accessible - it's near the market, restaurants, church, spa (note: Spa Paradise is a must try!)
5. Food is great! And since we're on a package, we don't have to worry about where to eat or how long we should wait, we just have to go to the lodge restaurant and be seated and our meal will be there in a jiffy (fresh and hot!)

**What we didn't like about CVL:
1. The color of our room looks like it was burnt.
2. Our shower was not working so we have to use a pail when taking a bath.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 7, 2009

We were in Coron last March and we enjoyed our stay in Coron Village Lodge. We had their package and we were truly satisfied with everything...from the acommodation, cool ambience of the bar, delicious food, nice staff, itinerary and a guide (Ms. EZEL) who's really kind no matter how chaotic and sluggard people we are and for saving our lives during the tour "kasi di kami marurunong lumangoy". We'll always miss the adventures that we had as we explore the one of a kind place called PARADISE.
For those who wants to discover Coron, we strongly recommend CORON VILLAGE LODGE...the best place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Coron, is really a nice place to visit. Our group (22 pax) stayed at Coron Village Lodge last April 22-24, 2009. Our time there was PERFECT! Except for the unexpected undertakings... Hahaha!?!

Coron Village Lodge ….
The location is very central and close to everything. And when we arrived at their lodge, the room (# 5, 6, 7, 9 , 10, 12) was all set, so you can relax before the expedition.

Food…
We really loved the food, and found the portion sizes. We mostly enjoyed taking our meals in the porch area but if cloudy @ the bar, which we found to be ideal to our fondness.

Staff…
Everybody was outstanding. We were always greeted with a big smile. We didn't have to reiterate our requests as they were prepared in a timely fashion. And be sure to meet kuya Willot the owner of the lodge, he is well-bred and does all he can to accommodate us.

Tour Package .…
The tour package we got was arranged remarkably for us. (From first day to 2nd, 3rd and 4th day) so we didn't have any problems. But as I mentioned above… except for the unexpected undertakings… (“KAMBAL ng ULAN”)
Even so, we were still able to take all our tours worthwhile, which includes:
1st Day - Calomboyan Island, Coral Garden and Gundboat (unfortunately we haven’t seen the Sunken Ship(KAKAMBAL nga ng ULAN eh!!!)
2nd Day – Malcapuya Island (Much better than BORA), Baraccuda Lake and Mt. Tapyas
3rd Day - Cayangan Lake, Twin Lagoon, Atuwayan Beach (We felt like we were in a Dyesebel Teleserye waiting for Predo), Siete Pecados, Makinit Hot Spring

In general, vast lodge, nice ambiance, friendly and helpful staff and the best of all our sexy and superb nice tour guide (DEXTER and EZEL) who really made our trip comfortable and fun.

We'll definitely stay at this lodge again if we come back to CORON!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Me and my partner went to Coron last April 16. We availed their 5 days 4 nights tour package. We were pleased to see that the place was nice. We were given a welcome drink. The staffs were great and kind. The tour inclusions was great also...the foods they prepared were delicious. We cannot ask for more, Our tour guide Kuya Arnel was nice and he made sure that we enjoyed the tour. To make it short, Coron Village Lodge is a nice place to stay when you visit Coron. They offer great tour packages.More power to Coron Village Lodge!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

*Initial Service - enquiry and booking
I found these guys online while googling images of Coron, Palawan. I saw they had some great all inclusive packages on their website so I enquired for our group. I initially got a quick response with a customised itinerary and a quote. After I expressed interest and enquired about deposits, it took some time and a few more emails to get a response. I was considering going elsewhere, but after plenty of research, Coron Village Lodge seemed to have the best value for money. So I persevered, which turned out to be a good idea.

Our package consisted of return airport transfers, accommodation, all meals and all tours.

*Transfers
Our airport transfers were great; we were in a big van which we shared with a few other tourists. The driver was friendly. The transfer from Busuanga airport to Coron town is mostly on unsealed roads and so takes some time. I'm pretty sure they were upgrading the road while I was there though, which will be great. I would recommend getting a pre-arranged transfer to save the hassle at the airport.

*Facilities and Accommodation
While I was there, I learnt that Coron Village Lodge is going through refurbishment. The accommodation sprawls across both sides of the street they’re on and one side (with the reception and restaurant) is older than the rooms across the road, which has been recently refurbished. We stayed in the older rooms.
The rooms are simple and our room was spacious enough, but our friends’ were slightly smaller. The room configs can be 2 x single or 1 x dbl/queen. The rooms just include the bed/s, a long side table against the wall and/or some wall shelves as well, bedside table, plus a TV and air-con. The bathroom is neat and the water pressure is ok. You have a hot water system on the wall which supplies instant hot water which is nice after a long day in the ocean. Note – if you want your room serviced while you’re out, you need to put out the door sign (something we learnt after the first day). I don’t think they change your sheets though and towels are not well-stocked. Try taking your older towel with you on your island hopping tours and request for a fresh towel for when you arrive. We were barely in the rooms though
The reception area is very neat and welcoming. The restaurant is quite cool – plenty of interesting things to look at on the wall and ceiling (check out the quirky chandelier, it’s pretty cool!). They have a gorgeous alfresco dining area amidst plenty of greenery and pretty lights at night time. These common areas are neat, modern looking and inviting.

*Location
We didn’t spend much time going around Coron Town, however, I felt the lodge is close to many things. We often walked from the accommodation to a local grill, the hairdresser, a sari-sari store (corner store) and we caught a tricycle to the Laundromat, etc. Even the base of Mt Tapyas is only a 3 minute walk up the road. We caught a tricycle to and from the bay at the beginning and end of our tours – only about 4-5 mins long. So quite central.
*Food
The food here was superb! I am Filipina but grew up in Australia, so I always crave for traditional Filipino food – and here is where you will get it. I read the other reviews that mentioned the Lodge has great food, and I agree 100%. They have an a la carte menu but in the package the meals are set (ie. You don’t choose them). You just arrive at the restaurant and once they know you’ve arrived, they will start making your meal.
The breakfasts are similar to what you will get elsewhere in the Philippines. The lunches and dinners are always hot/warm. The quality of food is very high and I found it quite healthy. Even The quantity is more than enough, I always felt full after every meal and we always had something leftover (which never happens while I’m around!). Dinner also includes a small, simple dessert.
The bar has a selection of cocktails and beers. The prices are pretty reasonable.

*Tours
We did 2 tours – Coron Island one day and the Ship Wrecks. They were, in one word, “awesome”. I’m really kicking myself that my underwater digital camera konked out early in the tour. If you’re a ‘photo person’ I would definitely recommend buying a disposal underwater camera if you can find one cheap – they sell these at the Lodge but unfortunately are about 3x more expensive than in Australia! Regardless, do yourself a favour and get one, it will be worth it!!
The tours are very well organised. We experienced 2 different guides on the two days. I wouldn’t exactly call them ‘guides’ though. One was good with some interesting facts, but one just had basic knowledge and abit shy for us outgoing Aussies! It’s not how I would imagine a ‘guide’ like the ones we have in Australia. On that note, we actually met a Master Diver and tour guide for the Lodge while we were drinking at the bar. He is EXCELLENT! A true conservationist and lover of the local area. So knowledgeable as he also has a biology degree. He is kind of like Steve Irwin! So the Lodge does employ some great guides, so good luck with the one you get!
You travel in bamboo banca boats, common all over the islands in the Philippines. I feel very very safe in these boats. The boat Captains and deck-hands are all very knowledgeable and friendly, as are the locals on-land and caretakers of the smaller islands. The boat crew take great care in ensuring they don’t ruin any reef or other marine life when docking from island to island. They have a real respect for the beauty there and take great pride and care in preserving the area’s natural beauty.
The hire equipment is actually not included in the pack but they have equipment at the Lodge to hire. I would recommend getting up early and picking your sizes otherwise by 8:30am/9am most of the sizes are gone. No problem though, they simply stop at a hire shop on the way to the boat.
The days are full, but the programs are quite well timed. You go to many locations, but you never feel rushed. You spend enough time at every spot. Although we did nothing but snorkel for 2 days, it never got old. Every location had its own unique offering. You leave for the tours after breakfast at the Lodge, and you have lunch and a snack while you’re away. They pack plenty of cold water for you, but the snorkelling and salt water makes me super-thirsty so I always bring my own big bottle. The lunch is delicious, traditional Filipino food and always includes tropical fruit.

*Service
We got to know some of the staff well and they were so friendly. The grounds are always floating with staff going from one place to another and they are always friendly and smiling. I feel they could work on their communication abit more. Once we arrived at the hotel and checked-in there was no briefing regarding our package – no timings, no instructions about food or the tours and when I enquired the reception staff seemed confused that I didn’t already know. After my first day they provided me with an itinerary which cleared up a lot of things and I thought, maybe they were supposed to email this to me before I arrived. Regardless, we still had to ask about everything, I mean everything. Where do we get hire equipment, where do we meet, what time are the meals served, arriving at dinner and not knowing we couldn’t order off the menu, etc. Because it was an all-inclusive package, they looked after everything – which is good, but sometimes you’re a left in the dark. It was a little frustrating, but if they put some simple procedures in place during their check-in process (even a simple one-page explanation in point form), they could really improve their communication.
Restaurant service was sometimes frustrating, with some new staff there at the time, a few things got ‘lost in translation’, but after travelling throughout Malaysia and Philippines, we got abit used to these things happening.
We drank with one of the guides, the owner and the bar tender one night, until early morning! They demonstrated true Filipino hospitality and humour. It was quite an enjoyable night that’s for sure!

*Overall
The all-inclusive package was very very good value for money. Highly recommend doing this with Coron Village Lodge. We stayed for 3 nights and 2.5 days. Our regret is not staying their longer. My favourite part was the tours – unforgettable. The location is beautiful. Just magical really. You must go!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank AussieKeenAs
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We are from a team who does CUSTOMER SUPPORT ALL OUR LIVES which means we are into details of GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE... We planned the vacation to Coron a month before the trip.. We booked for the lodge after booking our flights to Cebu Pacific. We were awed by the pictures and reviews about the lodge that's why we chose to stay in the lodge. When we arrived at the Busuanga airport we settled a service going to the lodge but the son of the owner Wilot Fernandez asked the driver to tell us to move to a different van because we are supposed to get the service from the lodge itself. Not knowing anyone and not booking somebody to take us to the lodge not to mention a very tiring day from a night shift at work before we headed Coron of course we stayed at the van where we currently are. I remembered the face of the man at the airport who opened a can of SML prior the flight, he is the same guy who is asking us to move to a different van with a very persuasive commanding voice. Anyways, we are in vacation mode so we headed to the lodge arrived approximately 4PM of April 13, 2009... We booked for 14 pax originally a month ago and settled the deposit made through PNB ALABANG so we were thinking that we will have a good place to stay and we will get to bond as a team. We were welcomed by the receptionist named Jenny and was given our assigned rooms but we were like scattered and was not given rooms which are close to each other so we requested to get rooms even the expensive ones to be given to us so we could be close with each other. We got the apartment type, and 4 other separate rooms because they have a policy that only 6 people could occupy the apartelle.. Jenny kept telling us that it isn't her fault because it was forwarded to her from their Manila office and she was not informed that we want rooms that are at least close to each other.. She sounded like she is blaming us because we have lots of requests as if we came to ruin her life and even told me to move to a different lodge if we wish. To cut it short>> day 1, just accomplishing which rooms to stay took us 3 hours.... hay.. Left the lodge for our first destination to Maquinit Hotspring that night when we got back at merely 9pm there was no water in the bathroom.. OMG!!!

DAY 2
We headed out to explore the islands of Coron at 8 or 9AM and went back at almost 7PM at the lodge.. To our dismay the room that we had>> RM.14 was occupied by another guests already.. Our things were packed by the staff, bags were opened, underwears, celphones, personal stuff were touched by the people we don't know and was moved to the bigger apartelle.. I am married for almost 10 years now and my husband and I has things that are known or touched only by us. We don't even let our housekeepers touch or wash our undies and these people from CORON VILLAGE LODGE did invade our privacy, packed our things and moved it to the other apartelle. Of course emotions would spark and not knowing somebody we headed to the Chief of Police of Coron.. Fortunately, they took care of us and we were even treated for a dinner by SB Mata>> a councilor who heads the Tourism of Coron.. We agreed to settle things with Wilot and agreed to forget everything because he agreed that we are not paying a single centavo for our entire stay in the lodge..

Day 3 to 5 went fine.. But when we checked out we were asked for the payment because according to the staff Wilot has not agreed to anything but a 20% discount and a supposed free dinner the night they packed and moved our things.. This I remember his exact words when our team lead said that "Didn't you know you'll get in trouble for doing this?" Wilot replied "I don't care!!!"
Imagine the stressful vacation we had.. So unbelievable... Try to book at their lodge so you'll see and experience it yourself.. We extremely had a NIGHTMARE for that entire stay sad to say...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank techyKaren
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We arrived one hot summer day in Busuanga Airport...its 45 mins to get to Coron. The roads were not all developed. Upon arriving at Coron Village Lodge, we were given our welcome drinks and ushered to our rooms. The lodge looks so homey and the staff were friendly and helpful. We got to stay in the Annex side ( new wing)..the room was simple and clean. My daughter tried the TV and there was cable so off she watched cartoon network. The room had only one chair though. It was very thoughtful of them to remind the guest to conserve water and electricity..imagine water disappeared at 10pm for some reason... good thing we were all cleaned up by then.

After lunch on day 1 ....We thought that going Island Hopping was spending time frolicking along the shores of different beaches but we were in for a surprise..we had to climb uneven rocky man made and narure made steps to get to the other side of one lake to another..going 150 steps up and down then back the same way.. but the site of the sort of hidden lake was really nice. My 5 year old daughter had fun. The rock formations above the water were truly a sight to behold....Nature's creations are great! After the boat trip off we went to Makinit Hotspring for some sauna...imagine sauna under the stars!!! The aches and pains of the day vanished after an hour in the sauna. Then back to the Lodge for Dinner... we ate outside their resto in the garden..nice and cozy ambiance( no mosquitos) ....we were serve a hefty serving of Bulalo and Calamares....yummy! That ended our adventure day 1...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family