“4 days of fun!”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“4 days of fun!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This place is somewhere you stay when you have days full of activates as the location is secluded (it’s a simple boat ride to Coron town, but non the less, a journey every time and the activities are limited at the resort)
However if your there to dive and island hope for a couple of days, this is a great stop through. The staff are incredibly accommodating and wonderful (thank you Rezza for all your help!). We were there in low season so the food selection from the menu was very limited but yummy. The rooms are simple with no AC, hot water and offer just the basic sheets, but if your there to dive for the WWII Japanese sunken ships every day, it will due. Coron is stunning, so make sure you have a busy schedule and get out there and enjoy all of gods natural beauty when you are there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank sugarbee_13

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 22, 2014

When I found out that a friend of mine and his family are coming to visit Coron for the first time, I've wanted to give them an experience they won't forget - starting from the accommodation they will be staying at til the boat tours. It has been quite a test to find a nice accommodation in such a short span of time. I have searched high and low to search for a perfect place for staying without sacrificing the ambiance. Thankfully, I found Discovery Island Resort here on Tripadvisor and booked. It is located about 10 minutes away from the mainland of Coron and all you need to do is text/call the person-in-charge and you will be picked up right away.

From the previous reviews that I've read, I couldn't agree more that this place is a lovely place to stay at. I find their AC rooms so charming, they even have flowers placed on top of their bed for welcome (they also have welcome drinks when you arrive). When you step out of your room, you will be surrounded by natural beauty (flowers, trees) overlooking the bay. I especially loved their hammock, it's the perfect place to listen to your music/iPod as you watch the stars sparkling above you (better make sure you put on insect-repellent before doing this). All I can say is I have never found a more tranquil place. It is the perfect home to go back to after a long day of island hopping.

The food in their restaurant is also something to look forward to. They serve big portions so better be ready. They offer different types of dish to accommodate the different tastes of their guests - their menu ranges from Asian to European cuisine so picking out what you want for a meal depends on what you're craving for at the moment. I'd like to commend the people serving our food. We've stayed for 5 days and so I have gotten to know them and I appreciate their friendly and approachable ways. Venus was our server and she was very patient with us.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Riza, the one in charge of everything in the resort. She has been very accommodating and welcoming to us. Even before I met her personally (only through phonecalls), she has never gotten tired of answering my inquiries. Moreover, I have requested surprise birthday cake/s for my friend and his nephew, and she helped me make it happen without any problems at all. Riza and the other staff's friendly warmth has made our stay pleasant, memorable and comfortable. It's like going home to your own home.

Discovery Island Resort is a simple island resort, I won't consider it luxurious but its simplicity and charm is what made it close to my heart. I would definitely recommend this island resort and I won't mind going back here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Ayee B
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Coron doesn't really give a great first impression. The town is dirty, congested, and not a whole lot to offer. When they say you should stay at one of the resorts on one of the near by islands...trust them, and me...its a good choice. We were picked up by the resorts boat and delivered to our new spot for 4 days, only about a 10 minute boat ride from town. The resort is basically on its own little island. The place is simple, but quaint. Not a lot to do except relax, enjoy the sounds of nature, and take some trips to nearby islands and if you are a diver, then they have their own dive shop to arrange your dives. The owners are there, and very nice and personable, they made us feel right at home. We loved our nature bungalow , with a great view perched up on the hill, some of the best night sleep ive had...far away from crowing roosters and nearby early riser local families at our other spots along our journey. This place is secluded...and you wont have a lot to do, but close enough to town if you need something to do! We ate there a a couple of times, and everything we had was great! we took their tours, and they were great, and worked a great price for us, since there wasn't very many other people staying there at the time to share the costs of having more people on our trip. The Coron island tour is simply beautiful...if you are going to do one trip..do this one...I still think about just how stunning those islands are. The staff here is super sweet and helpful, they are family, and they will make you feel very welcome. Our bungalow was simple, but nice, one of the best mattresses we slept on during our 4 week trip. We stayed in a fan bungalow, but loved being close to nature, and didn't mind sharing it with a few geckos..but there were a few other little visitors...like some spiders and bugs..so even though its enclosed with screens on the windows...critters do get in. So maybe have a mosquito net over the bed for extra protection would be a good idea for even more restful sleep! Price was good, and I found an even better deal on Agoda for our stay here! Thanks for a great Visit!

Room Tip: go for a fan bungalow if you don't mind sharing a bit with nature!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank elizacass
Beijing
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Definitely recommend this quiet and welcoming resort on a semi-mangrove sea shore! The staff is great, with key persons able to provide all necessary info for tours and activities as well as organize them very conveniently. Food and drinks at the resto-bar are good quality too and requests can be easily accommodated. Enjoying colorful sunsets with a fresh drink is a highlight. Island hopping trips in the vicinities amazing. My friend and I had a fabulous time, we were very grateful to the staff for such a perfect holiday and left with a nostalgic feeling as our peer staff was waving goodbye..

• Stayed April 2014
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Great staff and very comfortable, clean cabanas overlooking the ocean. There isn't anything else to do on the little island other than to relax in a hammock or visit the resto but a quick boat ride to town or neighboring islands can be booked quite easily. I recommend bringing a phone as it's more convenient to send a quick text to the staff when you're ready to go home after some drinks and dinner at the local Coron town pubs. The best time I had at the resort too was booking my diving trips with MDI Divers. They are located right on the island and Marcel is a very cool, fun and safe instructor who I would highly recommend to others. All in all an amazing trip, would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Despite the resort being relatively unoccupied, I didn't get to choose my room. Try to make a re...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nomadie_G
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and absolutely loved it. It is about ten minutes boat ride from Coron. Our room was clean, secluded and just what we needed. Warning that the shower was cold. The food was delicious and there was a huge choice of drinks available. The resort is quite, peaceful and set on a hill so I think all cabins have good views, ours was the cheapest one and the views were fantastic. The staff are incredibly friendly as well.

My boyfriend went diving with the dive school and they took him down alot deeper then he was qualified to go which worries me a bit.

We got a boat ride in to town and waited with another couple to get picked up at the arranged time but they came an hour late. We didn't mind too much but the other couple got quite angry.

Defiantly worth a visit if you head to Coron.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenkaroo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My partner and I have just left discovery island after staying for 6 nights there and for us it was perfect. Coron town itself is a bit of a dump but 10 minutes on a boat you are transported to a beautiful island with stunning views and very welcoming staff ... In fact they couldn't have done more! The room itself was simple but clean, with the most beautiful views out onto other islands and the sea. The rooms don't have hot water (it's a remote island!) but work fine. The bar/restaurant area is very homely and welcoming and includes a pool table. The dogs are friendly and the foods pretty good too. We did some diving with the attached scuba diving company and had a really good experience with them ... Especially the wreck diving!! It's easy to get to local beaches by boat if you want to and the island has canoes to rent if you want to explore ... All in all it was a perfect end to our stay in the Philippines!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple