We gave this resort a 'terrible' rating because we experienced racism there. However, there are a number of other things that we were not happy with either.
The place is very basic and over priced for what it offers:
1. No drinking water and no facilities to make coffee or tea in the room. Drinking water at the bar is three times the price in the market. Some accommodations in town provide free unlimited coffee and tea and hot water all day long.
2. Housekeeping is not regular. We had to remind the front desk twice. Over our 10 days' stay there, they only changed sheets once (that was when we were in the room and made our request). They also charge for extra towels - which is hard to avoid given the water-based activities in the region.
3. The main light in the room was not working. The resort claimed that they had to get the right bulb from Manila, but that didn't happen for all the 10 days while we were there.
4. While brown outs are not uncommon in Coron, the resort did not always turn on the generator during the daytime; which also meant that there was no Internet during that period.
5. Water ran out twice while we were in the shower. Since there is no intercom in the room, my boyfriend had to wipe off soap with towel and go down to inform the reception and then wait for them to fix the problem.
6. No lunch or water included in the diving package. Other diving shops in town provide lunches and drinks (including beers at the end of the diving day). Also, the equipment is quite old and basic - I was given a totally torn wetsuit. All this was for more than the average prices around Coron.
But all this might have been tolerable if not for the underlying racism that we experienced there. To give one example, the resort organized a New Year's Eve party where they took guests out to watch the Coron town fireworks on their boats. They took three boats full of people; only one of these had music, lights and a nicely decorated bar. This boat only had white people on it. As opposed, the non-white people were assigned to the worst conditioned boat that had no lights or music. The differences in the arrangement were insultingly obvious. We pointed this out as we were boarding, but our comments were brushed aside. Later, this boat was parked behind the two bright boats where its view of the town was limited. Behind the fully lightened 'white people's boats', we made our celebrations (thanks to the fabulous people on the boat with us). Nevertheless, the difference in treatment did leave a bad aftertaste - specially given that this was supposed to be New Year celebrations!
We wanted to talk to the owners about this before we left the resort, but they were all mysteriously unavailable. Therefore we decided to express our voices here. We love Coron and would even have discarded the strong smell of money-making at Discovery Resort, had we not experienced the racism. Given this experience, we really cannot recommend this place - unless one is ok with people being treated differently based on their color of skin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Back to 100% after Typhoon Haiyan. An Island resort and dive center on its own island just 5 minutes from Coron Town. Tranquil location with individual rustic cottages and modern lodge rooms. All rooms en-suite. Warm hospitality and good food. Ideal for island hoppers and divers. Private Coron Island Tours operated from the resort to show you the best and most beautiful spots that Coron has to offer at your own pace. With one of the most experienced dive centers in Coron, come dive Corons wrecks, lakes or coral reefs with Discovery Divers from our resort. Kayaking, seafaris around Calamianes Islands are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Divers Resort Coron Hotel Coron
- Discovery Divers Hotel
- Discovery Island Resort And Dive Center Coron, Palawan Island