My husband and I just came back from a March 7 to 10 vacation from Coron, Palawan. We stayed at Discovery Divers Resort at Decanituan Island. The resort is run by couple Allan and Little Mama (unfortunately, she was in Manila and didn't get to meet her). The resort is a short boat ride from Coron town, which is a big plus as you wouldn't want to be at sea at night from a delayed flight. Discovery Diver's location is perfect - its a small island away from the noisy town but close enough to town should you decide to go on a whim. It's also close to everything you came to Coron for (the amazing hidden lakes and pristine beaches). A boat ride to and from town will cost P100 per head on the resort's service boat.
We were booked in a native cottage, our room was quite an uphill walk (we got room #14) and quite a distance to the main restaurant/reception. The room was basic but spacious with just a bed and fan. No tables, no chairs, (table and 2 chairs are out on the veranda) no ref/bar, no safe, no TV but there's a resident gecko (tuko) to keep you company ;). I asked for a mosquito net to be set up as I don't like waking up in the morning with giant lizards on our bed. Harmless, yes, but totally freaked me out as I'm scared to death of lizards. So imagine my horror when I saw the grandaddy of them all on our wall. I thought it was a decoration until it moved its head. The bathroom was rustic and spacious. It can be improved with additional racks and maybe a table to put stuff on. The drums of water can go as it offers no use. It only attracts mosquitoes and you wouldn't want to use stocked water anyway. The water from the shower can be a bit cold but it was refreshing after a hot and humid day out at sea.
The staff were welcoming and warm. They were all very helpful esp Allan and Venus. Part of our package is the one day island hopping tour. On our day 3, we have nothing to do anymore and asked Allan if they can book us another island tour -this time to go to Malcapuya Island. He advised us not to go as wind and big waves are quite dangerous. If you go directly to boat rentals, they'd say yes as that means money whether you reach your destination or not. We were told that roof of boats were ripped off and waves were 1-2 meters high as Malcapuya Island is on open sea. So check first with the locals before you go as they know better about the "amihan" and the "habagat" winds.
Special mention should go out to the cooks Elvie and Eliza -- they're the best. Their Bicol express is to die-for! Authentic and very tasty. My husband and I ate with our hands when they served us their Bicol Express, grilled pork (not on the menu, but ask the server what's fresh from the market) and calamares. Cap your dinner with their mango crepe. Perfect! San Mig Light is P70/bottle and Red Horse (Stallion) is P80. They charge for hot water, btw, at P10 per mug. They don't have room service and they change towels every two days. Wi-fi at the reception/resto is free. Bottomline is we liked it here and will be back at this resort whenever in Coron.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Back to 100% after Typhoon Haiyan. An Island resort and dive center on its own island just 5 minutes from Coron Town. Tranquil location with individual rustic cottages and modern lodge rooms. All rooms en-suite. Warm hospitality and good food. Ideal for island hoppers and divers. Private Coron Island Tours operated from the resort to show you the best and most beautiful spots that Coron has to offer at your own pace. With one of the most experienced dive centers in Coron, come dive Corons wrecks, lakes or coral reefs with Discovery Divers from our resort. Kayaking, seafaris around Calamianes Islands are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Divers Resort Coron Hotel Coron
- Discovery Divers Hotel
- Discovery Island Resort And Dive Center Coron, Palawan Island