“It's More Fun at Discovery Divers!”

Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a March 7 to 10 vacation from Coron, Palawan. We stayed at Discovery Divers Resort at Decanituan Island. The resort is run by couple Allan and Little Mama (unfortunately, she was in Manila and didn't get to meet her). The resort is a short boat ride from Coron town, which is a big plus as you wouldn't want to be at sea at night from a delayed flight. Discovery Diver's location is perfect - its a small island away from the noisy town but close enough to town should you decide to go on a whim. It's also close to everything you came to Coron for (the amazing hidden lakes and pristine beaches). A boat ride to and from town will cost P100 per head on the resort's service boat.
We were booked in a native cottage, our room was quite an uphill walk (we got room #14) and quite a distance to the main restaurant/reception. The room was basic but spacious with just a bed and fan. No tables, no chairs, (table and 2 chairs are out on the veranda) no ref/bar, no safe, no TV but there's a resident gecko (tuko) to keep you company ;). I asked for a mosquito net to be set up as I don't like waking up in the morning with giant lizards on our bed. Harmless, yes, but totally freaked me out as I'm scared to death of lizards. So imagine my horror when I saw the grandaddy of them all on our wall. I thought it was a decoration until it moved its head. The bathroom was rustic and spacious. It can be improved with additional racks and maybe a table to put stuff on. The drums of water can go as it offers no use. It only attracts mosquitoes and you wouldn't want to use stocked water anyway. The water from the shower can be a bit cold but it was refreshing after a hot and humid day out at sea.
The staff were welcoming and warm. They were all very helpful esp Allan and Venus. Part of our package is the one day island hopping tour. On our day 3, we have nothing to do anymore and asked Allan if they can book us another island tour -this time to go to Malcapuya Island. He advised us not to go as wind and big waves are quite dangerous. If you go directly to boat rentals, they'd say yes as that means money whether you reach your destination or not. We were told that roof of boats were ripped off and waves were 1-2 meters high as Malcapuya Island is on open sea. So check first with the locals before you go as they know better about the "amihan" and the "habagat" winds.
Special mention should go out to the cooks Elvie and Eliza -- they're the best. Their Bicol express is to die-for! Authentic and very tasty. My husband and I ate with our hands when they served us their Bicol Express, grilled pork (not on the menu, but ask the server what's fresh from the market) and calamares. Cap your dinner with their mango crepe. Perfect! San Mig Light is P70/bottle and Red Horse (Stallion) is P80. They charge for hot water, btw, at P10 per mug. They don't have room service and they change towels every two days. Wi-fi at the reception/resto is free. Bottomline is we liked it here and will be back at this resort whenever in Coron.

Room Tip: I saw their newer "Lodge" made of concrete and maybe there's no resident gecko there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jrcl
flipSwitzerland, Marketing Director at Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Little Mama is back on the island dishing out more menu specials - glad to be back
Looking forward to seeing you again soon - keep in touch on our Facebook Page

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed one night in this resort as part of a Tribal Adventures tour (avoid this company) and found Little Mama and Allan extremely good hosts. The dinner was delicious and the staff were well trained. The room was very comfortable and Little Mama went out of her way to put extra foam on a bed as I suffer from arthritis in my shoulder. The shower was cold but the weather was balmy so it did not matter. Away from the hub of Coron but only minutes in a banca this is a lovely quiet place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddg38
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I had just the most amazing experience in Coron, thanks to this resort! I read so much good reviews about this from TripAdvisor so we decided to book a room here.

We got a room for two people, very spacious room though the shower doesn't have hot water and the light just above the sink didn't work. However, those are the only two minor problems that we encountered. Which is a good thing, of course!

The staff, owner, dogs and everyone was just great. The food is absolutely fantastic, do order the spicy tuna pasta and the pancakes! They are amazing!

The service is really great, all of them are willing to help you plan your trips around the area. When you go island hopping around Coron, they would offer you to order lunch so the boatmen can cook/grill the food for you on the spot. It was such an amazing and unforgettable experience!

Scuba diving was great and meeting fellow tourists was fun as well. I recommend this amazing place to everyone who will visit Coron.

Though if you want to go around town, you must ride the boat which is around a 15 minute ride, Php100 per ride one way.

We also had a problem with electricity, though the whole Coron has a problem with it.Luckily from 6pm to 6am sometimes 7am, we have electricity because of the generator.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank innasantiago
Reviewed January 30, 2012

hello, me and my husband stayed in this resort last jan. 2012 for 5 nights.3 nights in a cottage where theres no hot water and the shower is not working, the 2 nights they transfer us to another cottage we didnt sleep cuz the mattress was terrible and the pillows was soo hard .we came from a tour and need to clean but no water .were like a prisoner cuz everytime we move to go to the city we have to pay back and forth for the banca who accompany us.and worst of all we paid for the food and tours of 6000 plus and told me that they dont issue receipts. its not really a resort cuz we cant swim full of gelly fish.not a good stay and not reccomendable by other visitors.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mae n

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Most of our guests really enjoy their visit and atest to such in their reviews.
We are a close to nature resort on a Dept of Environment and Natural Resources managed island - we do not heat our water. We offer modern rooms and native cottages.
We operate complimentary transfers on arrival and departure. At other times we offer a 24hour taxi boat service. Regular hour service is P100 per person roundtrip. The journey time is around 10 minutes
Unfortunately at the time of the visit due to a BIR mistake the BIR were still in the process of reprinting our official receipts. The BIR have now supplied us with Official Receipts.
Room transfers are only made when the resort is close to fully booked at the time of the reservation and room transfers are advised in advance.
Alternate mattress and pillow options are available if guests make their preferences known.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was my first Asia-experience after a while in Hong Kong, where everything is always very neatly and strictly arranged. Then, you land in Manilla, terminal 1, to catch the next flight to Coron. Forget about reaching terminal 3 from terminal 1 to Coron within one hour, as the traffic is jammed and takes at least 45 minutes before 6pm. Checking in is even worse, as the qeues are well over 40 meters long...we thought 3 hours in between would be enough, but it wasn't. The guys calling for a taxidrivers are total ripoffs, we had to pay the guy that arranged the taxi +/-USD 5,- and the taxidriver too!! But if you choose to wait for the little van to take you to one or the other terminal(only +/-USD40 cents), you may have to wait a long time as well (it says every 15 minutes, but take it from me, that's some make-believe;))

The island is a beautiful quiet place, the only thing you hear are the boats coming on and off, some dogs (also at night) and crickets. They have palmtrees with signs underneath: Be careful, falling coconuts, that's funny, since we don't have any of those where I come from. The only thing i didn't like about the place was that the rooms smelled kind of mouldy and you could hear the neighbours very well...especially since you have to slam the door to lock it. There were also people playing very loud christmas songs, but I believe it was from another island.
We weren't supposed to have aircon in our room, but there was! So that was realy nice, especially since the nights can also be hot. There is no hot water, but who cares? With temperatures as high as they are over there, I'm fine with cold water, especially since it helps preserving the environment.

After a hot busy day snorkeling or swimming we spent almost every night at the tiny beach (just sand and stones, but fine if you're hot during daytime and want to jump in!) watching the clear sky and spotting shooting stars...so even the nights are perfect.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in any way they can. But you have to seriously check your pre-ordered breakfast everyday, when you take it with you on the boat, because they gave me butter on my sandwich 2 times in a row, when I specifically asked them not to. And also, you get gooey scrambled egg when you order well done fried egg. But I guess that's something you have to learn to live with, because in Coron town we also received food we didn't order and even one whole meal was left out! =) But even though sometimes orders go wrong, the food at the restaurant is great! I ordered Chilli Tuna Pasta, I think it was the best pasta I've had in a looooong time! And their Garlic Chilli King Prawns with fries....I wish I could take it with me ;) so a great applause for the cook!

The trips we took were absolutely great! I made a test-dive with Marcel for +/- USD50,- and was beautiful! But since we didn't have enough money for a entire course, we went snorkeling the next days. Boat trips are really nice, you get to see beautiful beaches, and with snorkeling, you can see so many beautiful fishes, corals and plants...wonderful.

I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, but if you know you're a picky prince(ss), you better book a hotel.

(and remember to reserve at least 4hrs in between flights, to and from Manila!!!)

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room at the top, as we could hear our neighbours from above
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nenniepennie
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This place was my favorite in Coron sure there is more luxurious places but this had good management and always buzzing with people .. if you look for quiet romantic place there are nice resorts on islands we visited couple of them is nice but lonely... Room we got was spacious and clean. Had great time in this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank afinanika
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Discovery Divers Resort in Coron, Palawan for 2 nights last October and we were very happy with our choice to stay here. Upon arrival at the port in Coron town, we were greeted by Glenda who was there to see us onto the boat that would take us to the island. She was very welcoming and gave us an idea of how the resort would be. Taking the 5-10 minute boat ride to the island was a definite highlight as we sailed off at around sunset. The views were amazing and as we drifted away from the hustle & bustle of the town, we were happy to realize that we had picked a nice, quiet place to stay at. When we arrived on the island, we were warmly greeted by Venus and some cute dogs. (Both were very friendly :D) We got complimentary drinks at their restaurant first and then we were shown our room. The first place that they offered us was quite a hike from the restaurant and the path leading to it was not very well lit so they offered to show us another room closer down to the dock and the restaurant which was great. The rooms were comfortable enough ( we chose one with just a fan) but be warned that there is no hot water in the shower. Also, just know that each time you take their boat to town you have to pay 100PHP per person. Other than that, we loved many things about Discovery: the morning view from the balcony (see pics); the day tour they arranged for us - our guides, Norman & Roman were very helpful; breakfast there was pretty good too. But for my friends and I, the best thing about the place was the quiet and the niceness of the people there.

Room Tip: If you are not up for a little hiking, then ask for a room near the dock/restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends