“Border stop over hotel motel, clean and basic”
Review of Market Motel

Market Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Aranyaprathet
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

We were taken to the market motel by our tuk tuk driver after asking to go to the inter hotel, but we went with the flow as it was dark and raining heavily.

The motel is basic with large garage style tiled rooms with twin beds, tv, fridge and hot water shower room, also had air con.

We paid 300 baht which was a good deal.

The food was also good so if you just need a bed for the night and some food before the cambodian border run then this place is well suited.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank disapia
There are newer reviews for Market Motel

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Difficult to know how to review this place because it depends how long you want to stay. If, like us, you are looking for a place to dive into the swimming pool and cool off after a very hot and boring two hour wait to get through the Cambodia/Thai border then you could not find better. All the time in that queue I knew we were only an 80 baht tuk-tuk ride from the pool so it made it bearable. If, on the other hand, you are thinking of a longer stay then this is very basic accomodation and the staff in the restaurant are not the friendliest or most helpful we have come across on our SE Asia tour. On top of that, there's nothing to detain you in Aran. So, a good night halt from Siem Reap to Bangkok but not a lot else.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We went from Bangkok to Siem Reap and didn't know that the Cambodian border closes for night. We had to stay in Aran for night and we picked Market Motel. The room was okay, quite big and clean. But the staff wasn't very nice, they didn't smile and I felt like I bother them when I was checking-in. It was fine for a night, but I wouldn't stay there for a longer time because of the attitude of the staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank miracky
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

We thank this guest, for his compliment about having a nice clean room, however he complains about the reception staff not being very friendly, we have had other complaints about this, I think your perception is correct, when you first look at it, I would like to explain our view of it, and then our guest might form a somewhat different opinion. We think the biggest problem is that our staff speak very limited English. If Shirley or myself are there, this problem doesn't occur, however we cannot be there 24 hrs. A day. We are a budget accommodation hotel, catering mainly to Thai's. Our prices are 25 to 60% less than our 2 main competitors, listed on trip advisor. We cannot afford at these rates, to hire English speaking staff. On arrival guests are shown a "room menu" which is both in Thai and English. This "menu shows the various class of rooms, and their prices, as well as other conditions. The guest merely points to his choice and registers. Registration cards are also in Thai/English. The guest has the option to inspect a room, before committing him/her self. If a guest is prepared to be a bit adventurous,and live with the locals, a good enjoyable time should be yours, many of our rooms are under $10 U.S. If you expect a many star hotel for that, I regret we are not the right place for you. Our restaurant also has a Thai/English menu, with both Thai and western food.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

You could probably do worse in Aranyaprathet, but not by much. The room was spacious and somewhat clean, but had a strong mold smell.

What stood out to me:

1. Unfriendly staff who tried the Cambodian visa scam with us.

2. Bad food.

3. Bullet hole in window right beside bed.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom W
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Our guest is correct, there is a bullet hole in the window, or at least to me it looks like a bullet hole. If it's a bullet hole ( it has also been suggested, that it's a spirit hole, I looked that up on google, but I have my doubts) we have no idea how it got there, it is normal window glass, and one would think, the glass would have shattered, but no, there it is ,a neat little round hole. As the room is almost next to the reception area, which is open and staffed 24 hrs. a day, no noise or commotion was heard. To the best of our knowledge no one was injured, or hurt. We are puzzled , we have left the window as it is , waiting for an explanation, but so far even experts are unable to explain it, we don't even know if it was a bullet, whether it was fired from the inside or outside. All I can say to our guest, is old quote, that a bullet never strikes in the same place twice. If that ist true it's probably the safest place in the house. As to the bad food, we have no record of any complaint, on the date our guest was with us. If something is not to your liking, due to our kitchen or waiting staff stuffing up, we are more than happy to rectify it, but unless you say something, we will never know. We usually serve several hundred meals a day, some times, but not often , things go wrong. We don't claim to be perfect!. At times we get complaints from our foreign guests, ordering a Thai dish, they've never tried before, and it's not what they expected. We do pride ourselves for having the most hygienic kitchen in Aranyaprathet, completely closed in , no nasty blowflies! Or other insects, with all meat refrigerated, until it gets cooked. In conclusion we thank our guest for his comments., a bit of criticism will make us try harder.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

This hotel is pleasant enough, the pool is nice and the rooms are adequate and include free bottled water. Service is lacklustre, the staff aren't rude they just give the impression that they'd rather be somewhere else. The two dogs are adorable and the food is good.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Shaun M
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I am married to a Thai lady and We stayed here for three nights with my young daughter. We paid extra for the new room upstairs on the top floor as we were told on the phone that they were "good quality" .The beds were very hard like UK prison ones. We had no water supply for three nights and the food was terrible. My Toast tasted of sulpur / fungus , my beans were freezing and my sausages tasted of rotten meat which I spat out and gagged to be sick. All three of us left our food. My wifes food had lumps of pork in it and she ordered a vegetarian dish as she is vegetarian. The waitress just scraped off the lumpy bits into a bin and re served my wife the dish.
The Internet charge was 30 baht an hour , yet over the road from the Motel there is an internet cafe charging 15 baht an hour which runs much faster.
The mens toilets in the restaurant did not work and we were told to use the swimming pool toilets. For 850 bahts a night you would expect good customer service and some sort of luxury, for where the motel is situated. When I asked Mrs Kornwipa Land the owner for some sort of discount for our suffering and smells she insulted us with a free cup of coffee and said that no one else had complained. On the last night we did not get any sleep as we could here the owners and Thai staff banging away trying to fix the water supply downstairs , it sounded like someone was overhauling an engine out of a truck . When I visit this area next time I will avoid this one , plan and do my homework.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ukwildcatter
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

We regret we were unable to please this guest, but to ask for a refund after staying 3 nights seems rather unreasonable. As to the guests complaints, we are a budget motel, we cater mainly to working class Thai's. Many of them at their home,sleep on a mat on the floor, or a very hard bed. Attempting to please both our local and foreign guests, we chose the middle road, not to hard, not to soft. As to compere our beds, to beds in UK. jails, I cannot comment, our guest obviously has more experience in this matter.
Our local town water supply is rather unreliable, as to pressure and availability.( remember this is rural Thailand) For that reason we have several large storage tanks and pressure pumps, it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to switch over. To say no water for 3 nights, seems an overstatement. How would we operate a 60 room motel, and a restaurant for 3 nights without water?. I would have thought if this were so, our guest would have checked out after 1 night.
The men's toilet facilities in the restaurant were closed on and of, for about 5 days, as we were installing new urinals. We requested restaurant guests to use the toilet facilities in the swimming pool area, alternatively,our guest could have used his room facilities. However, if as our guest stated, there was no water supply,all this is irrelevant in any case.
Our WiFi system is free for motel guests, and available in all rooms, and public areas. If a guest uses our computer facilities, we charge B30 per hour.
As for the terrible food, we have some memories of this matter, and I would suggest the following scenario: Our guest and his family obtained food from a street stall, the previous night, and contacted a severe case of food poisoning. Attempting to eat food the following morning is not a pleasant experience for anyone, no matter how tasty!
Our rates are published at the reception counter. They are the same for local and foreign guests, and remain the same year around. At the time of writing our most expensive room rate is B600 for up to 2 people (The cheapest is B250.) there is a surcharge of B150 per extra person,and a B200 refundable key deposit. Our rates are firm, we do not bargain, you pay no more, no less.
All in all my wife and I are of the opinion that this guest is rather vicious, bordering on malicious in his comments.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

Found this reviewed on TripAdvisor. Didn't expect too much for 500 baht per night but still was left disappointed. From the moment of arrival the service was terrible, although well staffed you had to literally call attention to get any interest from the staff.

The rooms, rock hard matress, mosquito infested and smelly bathroom. Read on the internet how the owner prided herself on "western standards" having lived in Australia. Judging by the standard of the electrics on the shower water heater she must only have had outside dunnies in Aus. I didn't dare take a shower with those exposed electrics.

All in all an unpleasant stay in an unpleasant town. Advise others to stop over at Sa Kaeo, nicer, cleaner town with better choices to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Thai_Chili_Pepper
Jake L, Owner at Market Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

We wish to apologize to this guest for his bad experience, however some of his complaints could have been rectified immediately ,had he mentioned them to reception, or asked to speak to Shirley or myself.
We have experimented with softer mattresses, and seemed to get more complaints. Our supplier terms the ones we use now as "medium firm".
As to the rooms being "mosquito infested" . Mosquitos are a problem in this part of the world, somewhat seasonal. We try to minimize this as much as possible. After a room gets cleaned, it is sprayed for Mosquitos. When a new guest arrives, and leaves the door open, even for a short period of time, especially around dusk, these unwanted visitors appear very quickly. The solution is simple, ask at reception to have the room sprayed again,and then keep the door closed,as much as possible. We also usually stock personal mosquito spray or cream for sale.
Bathrooms after cleaning, are sprayed with a deoderizer, but in our often hot and humid climate, if a room is unoccupied for a day or two, a musty smell is not unusual. Normally by turning the fan or air conditioner on, this smell will disappear in a few minutes, if not ask to have it deodorized again.
The "bare" electrical wire on the shower heater, I have been informed, is an earth wire, and does not need to be insulated, however we agree with our guest, if one has no knowledge of electrics, it looks dangerous. This problem has been rectified.
The "terrible service" our guest refers to, I presume would be in the restaurant. I have experienced this to be an ongoing problem in restaurants country wide. (I have even experienced this in 5 star hotels in Thailand). We continually try to rectify this, but it appears to be an uphill battle. Generally they are attentive enough until the food is served,then slacken of. We have changed staff many times, to try and correct this, with little success. For this reason we have installed a couple of large bells, to insure promptness.
We again apologize to our guest, for these inconveniences ,and thank him for taking the time to make us aware of these problems.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aranyaprathet
Tournesol Boutique Hotel
#3 of 6 in Aranyaprathet
River Resort & Spa
River Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Muang Sakaeo

Been to Market Motel? Share your experiences!